Extended protection plans on a JD5100e... what are your thoughts

/ Extended protection plans on a JD5100e... what are your thoughts #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I am coming up on 2yrs on this tractor. I purchased it used at around 500hrs in 8/16. I've put about 200hrs on it since.

I have the opportunity to purchase extended protection on it, if completed before Mid March/17. So I have just a couple days.

I have a horse farm (or am building one) and expect that my tractor time will lessen and become more maintenance and mowing in about a year. This next year, it is likely to see some relatively stiff work.

What are your thoughts on purchasing more protection? The previous 500hrs were at a Horse track, so shouldn't have been too hard. My 200 hrs and the next 500 will likely be pretty hard, lots of FEL work along with pulling a small dirt pan/blade, grapple work, etc etc etc.

I'm not typically an "Insurance guy" I think they charge what they charge because they make money not lose it. But given this is the last chance I will have in purchasing it, if it is a good deal for me, I thought I would ask.

The most likely plans I would purchase would be:

$250 deductible on all

36mo/1500hrs - $1399
48mo/2000hrs - $2250
60mo/3000hrs - $3783

You guys would have a better idea than I, on the likelihood of a failure exceeding these costs. The only thing I can really think of, that I am doing, is putting more wear and tear on the front end by a lot of relatively heavy FEL work. I don't know what is likely to fail, but if I were a betting man, that would be where I would expect it.

Thanks