Buying Advice Need some last minute advice

/ Need some last minute advice #1  

chitwood

Tractor
JD
Hello All. I'm hoping to get some advice to finally push me over the edge and make a decision. I recently purchased 20 acres of land in the PNW, half of which is hilly and partially wooded, with overgrown trails throughout. I would be mowing the other half and brush hogging the trails and overgrown areas. I'll also be using the tractor to help with some landscaping projects (loader work) and grading a gravel road and drive. I've been doing quite a bit of homework and have driven every brand within 50 mile radius (. Mahindra, Kioti, New Holland, Yanmar, John Deere, and Kubota. In the end I have narrowed it down to JD and Kubota, as far as a tractor that fits me. And have finally conceded to HST vs Geared. But I am still unsure as to the model and HP that would make the most sense for my needs.

I am looking at the Kubota L3301 w/loader (21.5K) and L3560 (27.5K)....and John Deere 3032E (21K) and 3033R (28K). Not sure if these prices are in the expected range.

I really felt a difference in quality/capability/weight between the JD E and R series. I wasn't able to test drive the Grand 3560, so I couldn't compare the Kubota.

I appreciate any recommendations of anyone familiar with these models or maybe a higher HP version. This would be my first tractor. Drove them when I was a kid 20 some years ago, but no recent experience.

Thank-you!

Last edited:
   / Need some last minute advice #2  
First off, welcome to the forum.

I have a Kioti and am very happy with it. I think you'll be happy with anything you get. As far as size; you'll never regret going bigger.

/ Need some last minute advice #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

You're in the right size for what you've described that you need. It's a big decision... to help you, here's a valuable site for comparison: TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors
Plus there are quite a few TBN members from your part of the world who will, hopefully, chime in with local knowledge.

Enjoy the site.

/ Need some last minute advice #4  
I have a Kubota L3560, now with 760 hours, purchased new in February 2013 as Special Order.

This 'Grand L' is my third tractor, each heavier than the one before. I love mine. Four years of living with the comfort and convenience kit that comes in the Grand L package has spoiled me. I will never be able to go back to a bare bones tractor, like my previous two.

I have family in Everett. I have visited Snohomish several times. As the soil can be pretty tough in Snohomish, consider the optional L2296 SSQA {Skid Steer Quick Attach} Round Back, Heavy-Duty bucket. I also added an aftermarket Stebl horn.

As your land is hilly, I recommend having the rear tires filled with fluid, to lower the tractor's center-of-gravity. You will appreciate the four increments of rear wheel spread available on all Grand Ls. Have the dealer set the rear wheels to widest position during delivery assembly. (Tractors are delivered without wheels bolted on.)

My invoice in February 2013 was $27,500, including LA805 FEL, L2296 HD/RB bucket, Draft Control, R4/industrial tires and dealer install of Stebl horn. No sales tax in Florida on ag nor forestry equipment.

Here is a search of the T-B-N archive, using L3560: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2772320

I recommend a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment for your trail work and minor grading.
VIDEO: ratchet rake - YouTube

Attachments

• DSC00662.JPG
    DSC00662.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 127
  • DSC00661.JPG
    DSC00661.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 121
  • DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 217
  • DSC00420.jpg
    DSC00420.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 135
  • DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
  • DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • DSC00128.jpg
    DSC00128.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
  • DSC00670.JPG
    DSC00670.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 144
  • DSC00671.JPG
    DSC00671.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 121
  • DSC00672.JPG
    DSC00672.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
   / Need some last minute advice #6  
FWIW, I weighed the E and R issue quite a bit and there is a thread to that effect down in the JD buying forum. I ended up with the 3039R and I'm glad I did. The ability to quickly shed the entire front end loader is a big deal to me. The horsepower seems considerably more than adequate as well. I also went with the H165 loader rather than the H160. There is a little more lift power there and a few other minor things.

Along the way I strongly considered an L3901 Kubota, and a whole bunch of used tractors but the new tractor route seemed a lot better than a low-hour used tractor that has no warranty.

I've only owned it for a week, so I can't say a whole bunch about what it can and can't do, but wood and manure is getting moved like never before so far.

/ Need some last minute advice #8  
As others have noted, once you are in the basic ball park regarding horsepower and loader capacity all the brands you looked at make reliable capable machines. Not a lot of practical difference just different pricing and features. I looked at similar tractors a decade ago and went with Kioti based on price and loader capacity. Never regretted it. Figure out your total budget (you will absolutely want a grapple and hydraulic controls including rear remotes for the work you describe as well as a medium duty bush hog or flail mower so budget $4-5K for all that) and then make the best deal you can. Don't shy away from Mahindra or Kioti simply because they have fewer dealers. These CUTs are all very reliable and you won't be back to the dealer much at all. My Kioti is now ten years old and has never been back to the dealer. Still on the original starting battery too!

/ Need some last minute advice #9  
I would suggested the Deere 3039R or the Kubota Grand L 3560. You need to check out both of these tractors and decide which one is best for you to operate. Some prefer the two pedal forward and reverse set up and others like the single pedal. Buy the one you are most comfortable with.

I agree with Jeff on widening the wheels and filling the tires for stability. The ratchet rake would seem to be an inexpensive and handy bucket attachment too.

Give some serious thought to open station vs. cab. I prefer a cab hands down but that is me, you may feel otherwise.

/ Need some last minute advice #10  
The JD E vs. R is the same as standard L vs. Grand L, Economy vs. Rich!!! The tractor is only one piece of the puzzle, you need implements to be able to put the tractor to work. Even used, implements are not cheap. I bought everything used/2nd hand and still dropped $6k.

The list is long but Hydraulic Top-N-Tilt for building roads is great as well as a grapple. Money is tight for me so I went economy tractor but I have lots of tools to allow it to work for me.