John Deere 2350 MFWD w/245 JD Loader

/ John Deere 2350 MFWD w/245 JD Loader #1  

devodad

Silver Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE
Hello from southern Michigan I'm new to this forum and new to farming. 18 yrs ago I bought a small 23 acre farm with the hope of farming it once I retired. I retired last April and needed a tractor with four wheel drive and a front end loader. I found a 1986 JD 2350. It has everything I needed but i think it's just too big for my farm. I have kind of low/wet ground and this tractor with the FEL and loaded rear tires weighs approx 8500 lbs. It seems to do a lot of damage with the brand new ag tires. It has 5700 hrs on it, but was used almost exclusively to move hay. It is in such great shape, always kept indoors and well maintained by the previous owner (a diesel mechanic) I didn't want to pass it up. I paid $7500 for it. Not sure if that was about right, a good deal, or too much, which leads me to my question. I think I need to sell it and get something smaller. I was hoping you folks could help me price it right for re-sale. This tractor also has a heavy duty 6' sidewinder brush hog and a practically new quick connect HLA rock bucket in addition to the 6' quick connect materials bucket. It also has extendable cat II lift arms, self-leveling loader, new or possibly rebuilt injectors, two extra rear hydraulic remotes. It is a 65hp tractor with 55hp at the PTO. Everything on it works as it should and has no leaks. It has high and low range synchronized manual transmission with 8 fwd and 4 reverse speeds. Electric rocker switch for on the go MFWD. I'd like your opinions on how much it might be worth or if it might be feasible to trade it for a comparably powered and equipped but smaller tractor. This thing is a beast! I made one swipe with a 3-bottom plow and it was like it wasn't pulling anything. I cleared a small section of woods and it felt like bulldozer. Walked right through brush and pushed over small trees with ease. I love everything about the tractor except for the weight on my property. What do you guys think? I'd keep it in a heartbeat if it didn't rut up my property so much. Should I sell it for what I have in it or do you think it's worth more or less? Thanks for any advice.

/ John Deere 2350 MFWD w/245 JD Loader
Hello from southern Michigan I'm new to this forum and new to farming. 18 yrs ago I bought a small 23 acre farm with the hope of farming it once I retired. I retired last April and needed a tractor with four wheel drive and a front end loader. I found a 1986 JD 2350. It has everything I needed but i think it's just too big for my farm. I have kind of low/wet ground and this tractor with the FEL and loaded rear tires weighs approx 8500 lbs. It seems to do a lot of damage with the brand new ag tires. It has 5700 hrs on it, but was used almost exclusively to move hay. It is in such great shape, always kept indoors and well maintained by the previous owner (a diesel mechanic) I didn't want to pass it up. I paid $7500 for it. Not sure if that was about right, a good deal, or too much, which leads me to my question. I think I need to sell it and get something smaller. I was hoping you folks could help me price it right for re-sale. This tractor also has a heavy duty 6' sidewinder brush hog and a practically new quick connect HLA rock bucket in addition to the 6' quick connect materials bucket. It also has extendable cat II lift arms, self-leveling loader, new or possibly rebuilt injectors, two extra rear hydraulic remotes. It is a 65hp tractor with 55hp at the PTO. Everything on it works as it should and has no leaks. It has high and low range synchronized manual transmission with 8 fwd and 4 reverse speeds. Electric rocker switch for on the go MFWD. I'd like your opinions on how much it might be worth or if it might be feasible to trade it for a comparably powered and equipped but smaller tractor. This thing is a beast! I made one swipe with a 3-bottom plow and it was like it wasn't pulling anything. I cleared a small section of woods and it felt like bulldozer. Walked right through brush and pushed over small trees with ease. I love everything about the tractor except for the weight on my property. What do you guys think? I'd keep it in a heartbeat if it didn't rut up my property so much. Should I sell it for what I have in it or do you think it's worth more or less? Thanks for any advice.

Sorry, I paid &17,500 for it not $7,500. My typing isn't so great

/ John Deere 2350 MFWD w/245 JD Loader #3  
Before you sell..you should compile a check-list of everything you want to currently accomplish on your farm as well as the goals you might have for the next 5-10 years.

Where do you see your current tractor/equipment in those uses? Adequate... or not?

We own a 22 acre farm. We rent another 20 acres. I currently have 4 tractors, ranging from 75Hp to 24Hp. My new round baler has me wondering if I should upgrade to a 100Hp tractor.

We planned to upgrade to a round baler - we (I) thought that 75Hp would be adequate. I now think more Hp is better....

Your current tractor - condition, options, attachments and price paid - would appear to be a "keeper" - in my opinion.

You just need to figure out what you need to get done; right now and later.

Good luck.

/ John Deere 2350 MFWD w/245 JD Loader
Before you sell..you should compile a check-list of everything you want to currently accomplish on your farm as well as the goals you might have for the next 5-10 years.

Where do you see your current tractor/equipment in those uses? Adequate... or not?

We own a 22 acre farm. We rent another 20 acres. I currently have 4 tractors, ranging from 75Hp to 24Hp. My new round baler has me wondering if I should upgrade to a 100Hp tractor.

We planned to upgrade to a round baler - we (I) thought that 75Hp would be adequate. I now think more Hp is better....

Your current tractor - condition, options, attachments and price paid - would appear to be a "keeper" - in my opinion.

You just need to figure out what you need to get done; right now and later.

Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to offer me your opinion. I think you're right. I hadn't been thinking of all the possible future uses for this tractor. I will hold on to it for now and see how things go. I bought it just before this winter so I really haven't had a chance to use it in warmer weather when things dry up more.

Right now I've planted approximately 60 trees; mostly nuts and fruits. I had planned to add more and also put in a greenfield or two for during the deer hunting season (also to keep the deer away from my planted trees. I don't have a lot of other equipment yet, or I would be putting in more. So far I can plant but have no harvesting equient.
I do love the power of this tractor. I see others skidding logs and cleaning out their woods with smaller equipment (which I also need to do) but this tractor seems to do it so much easier. I will follow your suggestions and make my list. I'm guessing the extra horse power will probably win out over the rutted ground, especially if I find that I can do most things over the dryer months and use this tractor in the winter mostly for moving snow or when the ground is frozen.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

PA- I like your tag line quote. So true.