Truck Bed Cover Options

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #21  
I had a one piece hard tonneau cover on my last truck for 19 years. It was nice & worked well but every time I actually needed to haul something I had to go get the trailer.

On my new truck I went with a Retrax roll up hard cover. Coming up on 2 years next month and so far I'm loving it.

a5983bb6-e5c4-4ef7-88e4-e0ec26c4800a.jpg

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #22  
I had a one piece hard tonneau cover on my last truck for 19 years. It was nice & worked well but every time I actually needed to haul something I had to go get the trailer.

On my new truck I went with a Retrax roll up hard cover. Coming up on 2 years next month and so far I'm loving it.

a5983bb6-e5c4-4ef7-88e4-e0ec26c4800a.jpg

I'm glad you like it, but the lack of lateral symmetry would drive me up the wall.

/ Truck Bed Cover Options
I'm glad you like it, but the lack of lateral symmetry would drive me up the wall.

that is what i was wondering - why is it offset?

/ Truck Bed Cover Options
I have a fiberglass topper for when I need to haul lots of stuff on trips, but it only sits on the truck when needed, as I also have a truck camper that we use frequently, and I tow a gooseneck and a 5th wheel on occasion. Most of the time, I use a Lund tri-fold soft cover on the truck. (probably a Genesis, or an older version of the Genesis...) It installs quickly and easily, and keeps stuff dry and out of the sun, and away from prying eyes.

It's probably 10 years old, as I bought it off CL for $100 about 7 years ago. I make sure nothing touches the underside, as that'll put holes in any soft cover. No holes or wear in the top material, though the viny trim has split a little in the corners where it folds. It's only cosmetic, and doesn't appear to be getting worse. It's very similar in function to the Gator Tri-Fold, though my Lund has four of the flip-handles that lock it down by grabbing under the bed rails, whereas it appears the Gator has two at the back, and the front uses thumb screws instead. I'd be fine with that.

If you can find a good price on the Lund, I can say that mine has held up well. The flip handles are easy to adjust, and work well once adjusted to your truck. I can put mine on in 60 seconds, and fold it or take it off completely in about 30 seconds. Note: the flip handles don't have be adjusted to use a lot of force... They should go over-center pretty easily. I've never had mine move around once I clamp it down, even when the handles don't take much force at all to lock.

Wow, here's a deal on the Gator, $269 shipped, and it is made in the USA... This place says they'll take it back if you don't like it too, and credit you toward something else... https://tonneaucoversworld.com/gator-tri-fold-tonneau-cover (I have no affiliation with this place, but it sounds decent...)

My advice: If you will need to remove it occasionally, and can treat it decently, a folding soft cover is the ticket, and will last a long time. If you're looking for a permanent install, go with a nice (craigslist) topper. FWIW, I get slightly better mileage with the topper than with the bed cover.

Going to a soft cover is definitely tempting - low cost and flexible. I was worried about durability but you certainly answered that question.

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #26  
that is what i was wondering - why is it offset?

If I understand your question right - why does it stick out further towards the rear on the sides

That is to provide the required coverage for weather "resistance" in the area where the bed & tailgate meet. I have the "RAMBOX Cargo management system" and in order to be able to use the standard tailgate instead of designing a new one, there is a "square Z" interface line (when viewed from the top looking down) and the rails cover the portion of that Z from above.

It's really not as bad as it looks in that picture. The long low angle and "fish eye" distortion from the cell phone camera make it look like it sticks out farther.

This one gave me the hard cover security I need for my firefighting gear & equipment, the ability to roll up out of the way to use (almost) the entire bed, I don't have to secure, move, or store anything else when I do roll it up, and it's 99% weather proof (the only time I get water is the touchless car wash and a couple pieces of HD Foam would probably fix that).

Everyone's needs are different - that's why they make so many different covers. :thumbsup:

/ Truck Bed Cover Options #27  
If I understand your question right - why does it stick out further towards the rear on the sides

That is to provide the required coverage for weather "resistance" in the area where the bed & tailgate meet. I have the "RAMBOX Cargo management system" and in order to be able to use the standard tailgate instead of designing a new one, there is a "square Z" interface line (when viewed from the top looking down) and the rails cover the portion of that Z from above.

It's really not as bad as it looks in that picture. The long low angle and "fish eye" distortion from the cell phone camera make it look like it sticks out farther.

This one gave me the hard cover security I need for my firefighting gear & equipment, the ability to roll up out of the way to use (almost) the entire bed, I don't have to secure, move, or store anything else when I do roll it up, and it's 99% weather proof (the only time I get water is the touchless car wash and a couple pieces of HD Foam would probably fix that).

Everyone's needs are different - that's why they make so many different covers.
I like that option. I too have Ram Box (love it), and struggled to find a cover I like. Might have to look into this!