Gonna get a new Kubota

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #1  

VT steel

Tractor
JD GX335
Hi all. So after my wife gave me a little matchbox tractor for Christmas and told me to go get a real one (I think she's calling my bluff about all the thing I tell her I'd do if I only had a bigger tractor), I've been busy reading up on tractors, attachment, and everything else. There's a ton of good advice here and I'm about ready to bite the bullet on a new Kubota.

We have 15 acres in hilly Vermont with a small pond (hoping to make into a bigger one), long driveway, a nice little sugar bush for syrup, firewood, and lumber, a fair amount of field, and a lot of granite. With work and kids, I don't get as much time as I would like to play/work, but hit it pretty hard when I can.

I am flipping between the L3901 and the L4701 to compliment the little JD GX335 we have. I'm planning on getting a loader, backhoe, tiller, box scraper, brush hog, and back blade. It's about $40k for the L3901 and $50k for the L4701.

I'm usually pretty decisive, but this tractor has tied me up in knots a little. I'm past the brand decision, and relatively comfortable with the attachment variety (but will want more... always more). I'm leaning towards the L3901 because I think it will do what I need it to do and have room to do what I don't even know I need it to do yet. L4701 is a bigger beast (to me, but a little CUT to some of you), but that's a big additional chunk of change. I'm pretty aware this is just for me to get my property in the shape I want and not for my livelihood.

I'm amazed at all the different levels and option. It's kind of like climbing a ladder - you can go up or down, but you have to know what rung to stop on. So L3901 with the above attachments, spaced out R4 (but maybe R1's). I'm feeling good about it, but still deciding. Anyway, any last words of wisdom before I pull the trigger on this?

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #2  
I doubt you'll find many people that would recommend the smaller of any two tractor choices!

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #3  
Tough choice;do you really have a lot of use for a back-hoe?With-out that you could go with the bigger tractor and a grapple/thumb for the bucket.I like R1's for woods/field work/snow.I would add a HD bucket and skid-steer quick attach.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #4  
Seeing you mentioned hilly I would look closely at the MX series - a lot wider and better on the hills. I had an L and liked it but was too narrow on our hills. Also they are HST and the price could be fairly close as they are a no frills machine.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #5  
Do you have any tractor "seat time"? It would be tough (suck) if your expectations fall short of what you want to do with the machine.
I wonder if the dealer would set you up a demonstration period starting with the smaller one. You wouldn't need the hoe on but if this is your first tractor.... I would think with that accessory package would be a nice sale for the dealer, and he may accommodate you. Any rental center's around with either unit?
Exciting times for you:thumbsup:

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #6  
I'm going with bigger and saying get the backhoe. You'll find uses you never thought possible.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #7  
As most of the tractors discussed here are for residential use, most are stored under cover, with one bay in a garage the most frequent storage area.

Will one of the tractors under consideration fit through your garage door(s), and the other not? Consider three vertical dimensions: ROPS up, ROPS down, Backhoe mounted.

Kubota generally (not always) has incentives to the dealer when dealer sells a package of tractor and three Land Pride or Kubota implements together. The last time this promo ran it was $1,000 to the dealer.

I would try to negotiate as much of this dealer incentive money into the initial purchase as possible, then delay on further implements until you feel a real need.

You will want the dealer to fill the tractor's rear tires with freeze-proof liquid to lower tractor's center-of-gravity on those Vermont hills. Heavier tractors are more stable than light tractors because of greater mass/inertia.

Backhoe option is $7,000. Do you have $7,000 worth of tasks for a Backhoe?

Last edited:
   / Gonna get a new Kubota #8  
I'm obviously biased, but the L3901 is not a tractor I find myself interested in. It's exactly the same tractor as my L3301, just with 6 more engine HP and 4.4 more HP at the PTO. I've had my tractor for almost a year, and the times I ran out of power before traction on loaded R4s can be counted on one hand. The L4701 is a nice step up in weight and adds some features that the smaller "bare bones" Ls miss out on, like push-button PTO. As you mentioned hills, I'd look into the MXs for the wider stance that they come with. The MX4800 MSRP is less than 1000 more than the L4701. That's not much money for a good bit more tractor.(and the MX5200 is just over a grand more than that, and adds a turbo)

So, I guess my advice is to either the L4701, step up into something larger than planned like the MX4800/5200, or, if your budget doesn't have room, dropping down to the L3301.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota
Appreciate the input so far. The backhoe is expensive, but I have to fix up the pond a little, put in some long swales to dryout some areas, dig back a berm for the driveway, etc. Also plan to plant a bunch of trees, but not sure if a backhoe or post hole digger is better. If I got one now as a package, I think I'd use it. I probably wouldn't buy one at a latter time. I'm going to be building a shed to house this and some of the stuff in the garage so I can turn the garage into the wood shop. The 0% from Kubota is huge. Dealer has filled tires and block heater standard. This is the first tractor I will own and have limited time on others. Done a lot of work with the little JD, but that's been slow, manual, and limited - and I'm getting older.

/ Gonna get a new Kubota #10  
Your rear/angle blade should create swales, probably the berm, depending on how you visualize these projects.

A $400 bucket spade will plant tress as fast as a Backhoe in reasonable soil. (Your Vermont soil may NOT be reasonable.)

LINK: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/328798-bucket-spade-today-fel-bucket.html?highlight=

Backhoe option is $7,000. Do you have $7,000 worth of tasks for a Backhoe? For $7,000 you can buy a much heavier, more stable, more capable tractor. You can have hydraulic tilt and Top Link adjustment added to the tractor for your Rear/Angle Blade and Box Blade. These are called hydraulic rear remote ports.

Tractor newbies almost always want a Backhoe. A lot (NOT ALL) of newbie Backhoes sit, rather than work.

You must remove the Backhoe in order to mount these implements on the Three Point Hitch: tiller, box scraper, bush hog, and back blade.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited: