Dump trailer blues... sometimes a lot is just too much.

/ Dump trailer blues... sometimes a lot is just too much. #12  
I have been trying to get by without a dump trailer for about 6 months, making due and doubling trips, and it is taking much more time than I have available to get jobs completed.

I've been looking for one for a while, and rented a bumper pull a few weeks ago. I think the bed was either 10 or 12', but regardless, it was essentially useless for my farm purposes. It would be great for gravel etc. But I have too many needs which are lighter in weight and bigger in volume and it just didn't cut it at all. I had planned on keeping it for a weekend, but took it back the same day after the battery went dead on the 5th dump.

So, now, I've found a few that I 'think' would be good, but I have become mired in options/alternatives. And I'd like some opinions.

It will be pulled with a 2006 F350 CC diesel. Gooseneck, bumper, or pintle. I currently have an older but certainly serviceable 22' GN deck over flat bed I use for hauling equipment.

I have a predilection for gooseneck, simply because I've always like the convenience of control and ease of pull. Obviously they have many of both types. I have a 2006 Sequoia and a 2003 Tahoe both with bumper hitches, but they would not be a primary puller, if ever. But obviously they are completely out with a GN. I'm not really putting them in the equation, but I've never had a dump trailer, and you would know how important it is to have the ability to use different vehicles at different times.

Use will be for the farm. I have dirt to move, trash/trees/fence to move, gravel (at times, big stuff such as roads I order delivered), basically, anything and everything you can think of, I have on this farm. Might be used to move hay in/out of the field. It will primarily be used on the farm itself, but obviously will, at times, be taken on road. The farm is in the process of being built, it has some hills, but not huge or too steep. I'm not really worried about being able to pull it loaded up/down the hills, but I do think about Center of Gravity on the side hills. That will become more apparent in a moment. Gravel roads and just plain old dirt.

I am drawn to the deckover drop side dump trailers. They seem very useful to me, allowing access from the side. But, they have a higher Center of Gravity by about 7-8". With the side dropped, the height of the bed is less than that of the Low boy style regular dumps, so tossing things in won't/shouldn't be much if any, harder.

But, I don't know whether they are useful enough to take a constantly higher COG. Or whether it really makes a difference at all.

A dealer 3hrs away has a very gently used Load Trail 8x16' deckover about $800 less than a new one. He has both on the lot. He also has Diamond C trailers, which were intriguing. These were 7gu sheet and looked to be built very well. I was intrigued by the 'low pro' style trailer sitting right next to the Load Trail deckover. Both looked very well built. Welds were good, both were Powder Coated (which is a minus), Dexter, Interstate battery. The Diamond C was a little more $.

I've read here, that the LowPro can be nice, but gets stuck/high centered easily, which would make it difficult in the pastures/etc.

My question is, what is your opinion on:

1. Bumper vs GN in my situation?
2. Deckover vs regular vs LowPro style

217 96x16 14k Load Trail Gooseneck Deckover Dump. 29236 | Spencer Trailers | Cargo, equipment, stock and utility trailers in Spencer IN
216 83x14 14k Load Trail Gooseneck Dump. 1553 | Spencer Trailers | Cargo, equipment, stock and utility trailers in Spencer IN
217 82x16 149lb. GVWR Diamond C Low-Pro Gooseneck Dump Trailer. 84172 | Spencer Trailers | Cargo, equipment, stock and utility trailers in Spencer IN

Do not get a pintle hitch unless you're running a bigger truck. The pintle will beat the snot out of your drivetrain. Also ask to try trailering the trailer before you buy. Not all trailers trailer well.

/ Dump trailer blues... sometimes a lot is just too much. #13  
I have a 2009 Load Trail low profile 7x14 14k dump trailer. Typical use it weekly or more. It's very well built. We use it to haul gravel, ground feed and brewery grain.
I have had it painted after 7 years. Sand blasted and painted.

I considered purchasing new when I repainted. Btw, mechanical there was nothing wrong with it so I repainted.
I would not hesitate to purchase a Load Trail.
BTW, when I haul stone it's typically 6 ton or better. She dumps like champ

/ Dump trailer blues... sometimes a lot is just too much. #14  
Yes it is well built. The Mfg. is here in NY about 75 miles south from me. Mine was a special order. Standard lengths are 10,12, and 14'. Mine is 16' and 80" wide. Has D ring tie downs, slide in HD ramps, LED lighting, 12K jack. Came with wired remote for up / down and I added a wireless remote.
Not sure what model PJ you have but my PJ seems to be built with the same quality. Dump trailer is rated for 13,800 and PJ is 14K.

I have the 91" DS dump. The sides are bowed so bad the gate won't close unless someone pushes from one side. I should've ordered the spreader gate, but I didn't want to hassle with the top bar when loading my Boomer. And some of the welds are pretty rough.

/ Dump trailer blues... sometimes a lot is just too much.
I'm not sure why your side would be bowed out. I know it's only 12gu bed, is it just too light of material for the job?

The Diamond C has 10gu standard and option of 7gu. 6" Champion cylinder scissor hoist.

On the Load Trail Deckover, it is one with 18" sides that can fold down, allowing for access from the side. I'm going to get one tomorrow, but at this point, I'm still unsure which.

Load Trail 16' regular dump,
vs Load Trail 16' Deckover dump with fold down sides,
vs Diamond C 16' regular height dump 7gu sheet?

/ Dump trailer blues... sometimes a lot is just too much. #16  
I'm not sure why your side would be bowed out. I know it's only 12gu bed, is it just too light of material for the job?

The Diamond C has 10gu standard and option of 7gu. 6" Champion cylinder scissor hoist.

On the Load Trail Deckover, it is one with 18" sides that can fold down, allowing for access from the side. I'm going to get one tomorrow, but at this point, I'm still unsure which.

Load Trail 16' regular dump,
vs Load Trail 16' Deckover dump with fold down sides,
vs Diamond C 16' regular height dump 7gu sheet?

The sides being bowed is from poor workmanship. The sheet metal is welded to the top tube and the heat being applied to one side of the tube caused it to bow in. It was so bad that I had to use chains and binders to pull it straight so I could get the rear doors closed. The sides being bowed wouldn't be a big issue except the interference with the door closing. If I had the top bar of the spreader gate, I could pull the sides together to make closing the barn doors easier.

I went with the Load Trail Deckover with fold down sides.

It was a hard choice, in that I liked the Diamond C being painted rather than PC'd. And it was 7gu. But it was a standard height trailer, and I, at this point, think the utility of the fold down sides, for my purposes, will make the ultimate difference.

If it doesn't turn out that way, at least I have something which will get me going again on my farm. I've been stymied in several projects, simply from lack of one.

IMG_4180.JPG

/ Dump trailer blues... sometimes a lot is just too much. #18  
Congratulations! I would not want to be without mine. :thumbsup: What is the max dump angle?

I don't remember whether it is 45 or 47. It is pretty darn angled though. Given it can't be very deep, hence not too compacted, I'm hoping it won't be sticking. Its so far in the air, there is no way I could get to it if it does.

/ Dump trailer blues... sometimes a lot is just too much. #20  
Congrats on the new trailer. Very nice!!!!! It should serve you well!!!!