liquidating equipment

/ liquidating equipment #11  
Just4me,

I'm certain the issues are more involved than just money. I'm guessing your dad was really looking forward to owning the unit. And obviously he spent a good sized amount of money in acquiring it. But if he just got it and then spent several years not being able to use it - there was a pain in him and a pain shared by your mom. Maybe the tractor even represented the possibility of recovery for him to once again be able to use it. A care giver swallows alot of pain year after year seeing him not be able to run it and him going out to look at it or touch it or look at the brochure or cry over it - because he had looked so forward to saving to get it. My guess is - whatever you saw in frustration - your mom saw many times over - and the money would have been nice to have had when he was sick too. So for each of them - it went from a dream . . . . to a "mistake". And dreams are meant to end with some good memories :)

So lets look at the positives besides money and correcting what may have felt to them like "a mistake - a dream gone wrong". Any and all of the implement pieces are current and usable for new GC1700 series product as well as the GC2300/2400/2600 units. So you aren't "forced" to sell it all at once for 1 discounted price. That's a big deal because there would be lots of demand for a snowblower as an example - by someone who didn't get one at original purchase at now they'd be paying list price for it.

Several have mentioned about fluid changes etc.. But here is an even more important question - how many hours on on the tractor count? Assuming its less than 50 hours - that would mean it never had the 50 hour service - which means all the fluids are the original ones.

a. was it stored in a heated garage or in a place that would have had cold (below freezing) and heat exposure ?

b. does it have less than 20 hours run time - if so I'd DRAIN the fuel tank completely before starting it and put some fresh diesel in and start it up and run it for a couple hours (not just idle it). Why? Because it was not drained of its original break-in fluids - and you need to get them flowing and any contaminants flowing and check for any leaks too.

c. then have the fluids and filters changed in ANY unit that was previously run (mower deck ??? snowblower ????) - again if they were previously run - then run them now before changing the fluids. And if the dealer is doing it - have them do the normal 50 hour service bolt tightening etc.. (note if the blower or the mower were never used then I wouldn't run them. But if they were used even just once before - then running them now and then changing the gear box fluids makes sense and gets the break in contaminants out. If they were never run - then they shouldn't have any break in contaminants in them yet.

d. None of what I wrote above helps you get pricing - but it gets you aware of the current condition - and helps your confidence of what the newly serviced unit looks like inside as well as outside.

e. one last thing - if the dealer is servicing the unit for the very 1st time - explain to them a little about the history - because they don't likely don't know. They may have someone who might be a ready candidate for the equipment. NOTE: I didn't say you ask for their help, what I said is the story told may spread around the dealership and into various conversations and prospect suggestions. Just my opinion - there are good people everywhere - sometimes giving them an opportunity to help without asking for help is just the opportunity they need LOL

Maybe you & your Mom would want to jointly wash, wax, and polish the units together - a kind of "parting effort" to turn "what was" into something of a positive conclusion. a direction toward a conclusion. Would your dad have wanted it looking as perfect as possible? :)

Good fortune and best wishes to you and your mom.

/ liquidating equipment #12  
Just4me,

I'm certain the issues are more involved than just money. I'm guessing your dad was really looking forward to owning the unit. And obviously he spent a good sized amount of money in acquiring it. But if he just got it and then spent several years not being able to use it - there was a pain in him and a pain shared by your mom. Maybe the tractor even represented the possibility of recovery for him to once again be able to use it. A care giver swallows alot of pain year after year seeing him not be able to run it and him going out to look at it or touch it or look at the brochure or cry over it - because he had looked so forward to saving to get it. My guess is - whatever you saw in frustration - your mom saw many times over - and the money would have been nice to have had when he was sick too. So for each of them - it went from a dream . . . . to a "mistake". And dreams are meant to end with some good memories :)

So lets look at the positives besides money and correcting what may have felt to them like "a mistake - a dream gone wrong". Any and all of the implement pieces are current and usable for new GC1700 series product as well as the GC2300/2400/2600 units. So you aren't "forced" to sell it all at once for 1 discounted price. That's a big deal because there would be lots of demand for a snowblower as an example - by someone who didn't get one at original purchase at now they'd be paying list price for it.

Several have mentioned about fluid changes etc.. But here is an even more important question - how many hours on on the tractor count? Assuming its less than 50 hours - that would mean it never had the 50 hour service - which means all the fluids are the original ones.

a. was it stored in a heated garage or in a place that would have had cold (below freezing) and heat exposure ?

b. does it have less than 20 hours run time - if so I'd DRAIN the fuel tank completely before starting it and put some fresh diesel in and start it up and run it for a couple hours (not just idle it). Why? Because it was not drained of its original break-in fluids - and you need to get them flowing and any contaminants flowing and check for any leaks too.

c. then have the fluids and filters changed in ANY unit that was previously run (mower deck ??? snowblower ????) - again if they were previously run - then run them now before changing the fluids. And if the dealer is doing it - have them do the normal 50 hour service bolt tightening etc.. (note if the blower or the mower were never used then I wouldn't run them. But if they were used even just once before - then running them now and then changing the gear box fluids makes sense and gets the break in contaminants out. If they were never run - then they shouldn't have any break in contaminants in them yet.

d. None of what I wrote above helps you get pricing - but it gets you aware of the current condition - and helps your confidence of what the newly serviced unit looks like inside as well as outside.

e. one last thing - if the dealer is servicing the unit for the very 1st time - explain to them a little about the history - because they don't likely don't know. They may have someone who might be a ready candidate for the equipment. NOTE: I didn't say you ask for their help, what I said is the story told may spread around the dealership and into various conversations and prospect suggestions. Just my opinion - there are good people everywhere - sometimes giving them an opportunity to help without asking for help is just the opportunity they need LOL

Maybe you & your Mom would want to jointly wash, wax, and polish the units together - a kind of "parting effort" to turn "what was" into something of a positive conclusion. a direction toward a conclusion. Would your dad have wanted it looking as perfect as possible? :)

EXCEPTIONALLY....WELL DONE, AxleHub

/ liquidating equipment
Just4me,

Thank you so very much for all of the information and advice and so beautifully stated. It's as if you knew them. Yes, it's very emotionally complicated. The mechanics will be much easier to manage. I am so very grateful that I found this forum.
My appreciation is beyond words.

/ liquidating equipment #14  
Greetings Just4me,

Just following up to see if the last couple weeks have brought you any new thoughts or successes in your effort to liquidate your father's tractor equipment ?

AxleHub