Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #1  

Soldier415

Platinum Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota L3010GST. 2005 Kubota L3430HSTC
I have a 2001 Kubota L3010 GST that I got last year with a LA481 FEL and Sims heated cab.

Need to replace the wheels and tires on the tractor from R4 Industrial to R1 Agricultural tires. The R4s are too wide and the tread on the fronts is almost completely gone.

All told for the wheels, tires, mounting, loading, and labor to put them on the tractor plus the fees to get rid of the old ones i'm looking at about $3k. I would also have to pay for my chains to be cut and fit to the new tires.

Guy at the dealership mentioned they just took in a clean 2005 L3430 HST transmission with heated/ac cab, LA513 FEL, newer R1 tires and chains. Their list price of $24,500 seems high.

I don't know much about the 3430 but it looks like a nice rig. Depending on what they offer for my tractor in trade it may make more sense to put that $3k towards a newer rig instead of dumping new wheels into an old one.

Looking for input on the L3430 compared to the L3010, and opinions on the price.

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #2  
First of all - check on craigs list for selling tractor tires to weight lifters. One of my sons lifts and he likes to throw around a tractor tire in the back yard.

And if I remember their were some issues with the 30 series - 3 point or something.

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #3  
What did that factory cab with heat and A/C cost new? $7,500?

Pre-Tier iV tractors are commanding a mild premium at present. People are willing to pay more for the simpler engine.

Tier IV tractors cost $5,000 more new than pre-Tier IV tractors new.

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #4  
Disclaimer - I love my xx10 series Kubota. I mean LOVE that thing.

If I were in your situation, I would probably try to make a trade with someone who has ags and wants R4's. I think that is possible for much less $$. Unless you need / want a cabbed tractor AND have the cash for it. I'd say your 3010 is worth between 9k and 11k in trade, depending upon hours. Maybe 11-13,500 retail value.

The L3430 does seem to be priced a bit on the high side. I'd say 22k would be a better price as equipped. Still, you are 10 grand different in price. And, the L3430 will feel similar to the 3010 with the hp drag from the cab accessories.

I think you $ delta for the swap is much less than 3 grand. You should not have to pay to get rid of the old tires and rims. They should have value and can be sold. I'd say 800 bucks, minimum - even with bad front tires. New front tires, by the way, should be around 300 bucks for a pair of 10-16.5's. These are common skid steer tires.

The awesomeness of a full cab in snow country may make all of these calculations moot, however. It might for me. As usual, it's all about the money...

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #5  
I have a 2001 Kubota L3010 GST that I got last year with a LA481 FEL and Sims heated cab.

Need to replace the wheels and tires on the tractor from R4 Industrial to R1 Agricultural tires. The R4s are too wide and the tread on the fronts is almost completely gone.

All told for the wheels, tires, mounting, loading, and labor to put them on the tractor plus the fees to get rid of the old ones i'm looking at about $3k. I would also have to pay for my chains to be cut and fit to the new tires.

Guy at the dealership mentioned they just took in a clean 2005 L3430 HST transmission with heated/ac cab, LA513 FEL, newer R1 tires and chains. Their list price of $24,500 seems high.

I don't know much about the 3430 but it looks like a nice rig. Depending on what they offer for my tractor in trade it may make more sense to put that $3k towards a newer rig instead of dumping new wheels into an old one.

Looking for input on the L3430 compared to the L3010, and opinions on the price.

I think you just really want a new tractor, which is not a bad thing, but you could find tires and rims for $1500 if you wanted to look. Nebraska tire & e-bay, etc. takes some time.
I need 8 ply R4s and plan not to pay more than $1000. I'm patient.

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #6  
3000 not bad considering. on the old ford 333 TLB 80HP, single tire cost near $1,600 to $4,000.

but you are also getting all 4 tires BUT ALSO 2 to 4 rims as well. to deal with changing from R4's to R1's

there are name brand and off brand tires. the off brand tires can be 2 to 3 times cheaper

google agriculture tires on internet to find various manufactures. then do a dealer lookup on 2 to 4 manufacture websites. and contact the dealers, good chance dealers also sell other types of tires

be careful double check the PLY rating higher ply = thicker rubber that does not stretch as much. prefer high ply rating if it is in my budget. when i am forced to buy new tire/s

some companies charge per hour, or road millage or just one lump sum. contact various ag tire places, even up to a couple hours away. and check for prices. they will roll up with tires, and truck with machines and tools ready to go. and get it done and over with. if you have fluid in tires, make sure to let them know. if you want to re=use the liquid or put something else in them. this type of service rather handy when it comes to larger rear tires on tractor and you do not have another machine/tractor to lift tires off tractor and into bed of truck or on a trailer.

==============
machine to machine in your first post.... 2005 tractor 600lbs heavier, 4 to 8hp more, seems fairly costly to upgrade just to avoid tire cost. then again good trade value on current tractor....

tires cost no matter what way you look at it. tread amount can mean difference between stuck and keep on going. even if you upgrade you may need new tires. %50 tread is a lot of TREAD. that matters at least for me in mud

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #7  

How many hours on your L3010?is it paid for?What name brand are the new tires?How many Hours on the 2005 L3430? The best tractor is one that is paid for IMHO.Its your $$ if you feel the need trade it.

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #8  
You've left out some key factors that would go into making this choice... condition of both machines, hours, what they are to be used for, etc. Based on the cabs, your mention of tire chains and your Vermont location, we might guess that winter snow removal is likely to be high on your list of chores. Presuming the L3430 has a factory cab, it should be a step up from the Sims add-on on your L3010. The L3430 also has about 10% more power than your L3010, which might be useful if you have or plan to have a snowblower, and has a newer and heavier-duty 3 point lift design (no problems with it to my knowledge). The other thing is your 3010 is a Glide-Shift while the 3430 is HST. Both are good setups, but I'd give a modest advantage to the HST setup for winter chores, particularly with a blower.

Pricing is a regional thing. It may be that the asking price for that L3430 is not out of line in New England for a pristine L3430 cab model, but that would probably be high in other locations for such a model with higher hours and/or showing typical wear and tear for a 16 year old tractor.

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense
You've left out some key factors that would go into making this choice... condition of both machines, hours, what they are to be used for, etc. Based on the cabs, your mention of tire chains and your Vermont location, we might guess that winter snow removal is likely to be high on your list of chores. Presuming the L3430 has a factory cab, it should be a step up from the Sims add-on on your L3010. The L3430 also has about 10% more power than your L3010, which might be useful if you have or plan to have a snowblower, and has a newer and heavier-duty 3 point lift design (no problems with it to my knowledge). The other thing is your 3010 is a Glide-Shift while the 3430 is HST. Both are good setups, but I'd give a modest advantage to the HST setup for winter chores, particularly with a blower.

Pricing is a regional thing. It may be that the asking price for that L3430 is not out of line in New England for a pristine L3430 cab model, but that would probably be high in other locations for such a model with higher hours and/or showing typical wear and tear for a 16 year old tractor.

Filling in some info that was left out. My 3010 has 2,380 hours and is in decent shape. Has no flood lights and is missing a brake light.

The 3430 has 747 hours and looks almost like new. Here is the listing: Kubota L343HSTC

I own the 3010 outright. I traded a camper I had bought for 15k cash (well under book value) for the tractor, new rototiller, york rake, brush hog, new box blade, and pallet forks for the FEL. If I did make the step up i'd pay the difference in cash.

I have 11 acres and 1/4 mile driveway up and down steep terrain. Use the tractor for maintaining the road, snowblowing (meteor rear mount 68"), and general property maintenance along with helping friends and neighbors with projects.

Due to the terrain (drop offs on sides of the driveway and changes of slope) the HST is highly appealing over the GST.

I'm not **** bent on getting a newer tractor, but if being able to get into a lower mileage machine with better performance and features for around $7k out of pocket instead of dumping money into a tractor with over 2k hours it does make some sense.

/ Considering upgrading tractor, need input on price and if it makes sense #10  
I would trade for $7,000 difference if it was me.Good luck on your choice.