Buying Advice "dealing" with a dealer...

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #1  

Jaypeesi

Tractor
None
Hopefully in the next day or two I will be signing the paperwork for a new tractor. My credit is good and have been approved for financing but there is just one issue, the price! I'm being quoted msrp. my question is probably something I should know after 43 years but what is the most realistic counter offer I should start with? I would rather not spend days haggling. Is 10% (total price is about $30,000) offensive to the dealer? I want to be fair and realistic but don't want to get taken advantage of either. I have had new company work trucks for the last 23 years so I don't haggle much and my wife buys her vehicles (and she is tough and beats up the sales guys on price) lol! any ideas?

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #2  
I find it easier to ask another dealer to beat your dealer's price, then go back to ask about a better price. As for your question, 10% would be the minimum, start at 15%. This advise is very local... are there other people willing to pay the full price? Good luck...

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #3  
Generally you try to meet halfway. So offer 24000. Or try to get some goodies thrown in. You know they are makingprofit. have you seen those combo deals offered by some dealers.

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #4  
I would offer 25k on a 30k msrp price. I would not pay over 25,500 (15% off) and would walk if the dealer would not do it.

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #5  
my wife buys her vehicles (and she is tough and beats up the sales guys on price) lol! any ideas?

Let the wife up to the plate and she what she can do? Absolutely no shame in letting her haggle the deal for you. Mine has surprised me a few times getting a much better deal than I thought possible and somehow she never seems to offend them no matter how off base she is with a low offer. I think its the element of surprise when the hole time I look, touchy, feely she is quiet then out of the blue she starts breathing fire!

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #6  
Let the wife up to the plate and she what she can do? Absolutely no shame in letting her haggle the deal for you. Mine has surprised me a few times getting a much better deal than I thought possible and somehow she never seems to offend them no matter how off base she is with a low offer. I think its the element of surprise when the hole time I look, touchy, feely she is quiet then out of the blue she starts breathing fire!

Ever see women fight? Ever see a woman if her kids are in danger. Ever had a woman mad at you? Ever done business with a woman? I have all of the above and I guarantee you, they can deal. Just give them the subject and the opportunity. Some dealers haggle and others, like chains have the published price and that's it. The published price isn't necessarily the SRP especially if in a competitive area. Hagglers are in the mom and pop shops when you are talking to pop, not mom......dahhhhh wonder why. Grin

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #7  
The question is, what is the markup? On cars I used to figure the markup was 10%, but I think the margins are smaller now, but you still get factory incentives at times that can help lower the price. You can't really ask the dealer to sell it to you for less than they buy it for. I'm not sure what the markup is on most tractors, a lot of it depends on the make.

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #8  
Hopefully in the next day or two I will be signing the paperwork for a new tractor. My credit is good and have been approved for financing but there is just one issue, the price! I'm being quoted msrp. my question is probably something I should know after 43 years but what is the most realistic counter offer I should start with? I would rather not spend days haggling. Is 10% (total price is about $30,000) offensive to the dealer? I want to be fair and realistic but don't want to get taken advantage of either. I have had new company work trucks for the last 23 years so I don't haggle much and my wife buys her vehicles (and she is tough and beats up the sales guys on price) lol! any ideas?

Jaypeesi, one of the things to remember is that there are many styles of negotiating. Some are mean or antagonistic. Others are educated but sometimes overdone. But I find the best method for me is having two things:

A second or third offer (not that you show the dealer - just for you to know).

A sense that fun negotiating is like playing a friendly game of poker - and know when to recognize a bluff versus knowing when to call or up the ante.

Lets say a friend of yours recommends a dealer of his and you feel obligated to get a price from that dealer for the exact same items (because your friend asked you to). And the price is considerably lower for THE EXACT SAME THINGS. Then you go back to your dealer and tell the salesman you must have made a mistake - because you "know" they would have been competitive with others as they said they would be - so you must have misunderstood your dealer's price quote. You don't need to show them anything - you don't need to say anymore - let the dealer do the talking. They will either talk themselves into a better price - or they will talk you into the other dealer - or they will claim the other dealer isn't reputable. Either way - you'll end up with a tractor at a better price - and probably a good dealer for the future :)

My motto is - a good dealer and a good salesman don't need to negative sell - and when they do - its not a time to buy.

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #9  
Have you went online and "built" the tractor so you know what the MSRP is?

Historically on TBN buyers pay around 85% of MSRP.

/ "dealing" with a dealer... #10  

Are you trying to buy dealer friendship ..... AND a tractor?
If you like to be wise with your money, shop several dealers, and play one against the other.
If that troubles you, then just pay HIS price.
Then two years from now he will sell out, and you will just have a tractor that you paid too much for.
Trying to get the best deal is fun for me, and I am rarely in a hurry to buy anything.