Buying Advice BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax)

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax) #1  

maru487

Tractor
Working on it
Either machine could do for what I am looking for, but I am not really that impressed with the BX25. I mean I was ok with the BX until I tried the GC. Then I also compared the specs and wow. I have nothing against Kubota, but I'm surprised that others prefer the BX.

Loader Lift to pin: GC-920lbs, BX-745lbs
Backhoe roll force: GC-2476lbs, BX-1936lbs
Weight: GC-2670lbs, BX-1587lbs (heavier is better IMO for balance and digging, etc)

And the big thing is the loader lift speed! The GC is at least twice as fast under the same RPM.:shocked:

But with a $7500 difference (tax included) I am hoping there are others that can convince my brain that the BX is better then the GC or that the GC is worth the $7500 more.

Thanks for any feedback!

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax) #2  
Between those two tractors, I would choose the GC1710. It may be more money, but you are also getting more tractor.

As far as others with BXs, it may be all they need/want, finances, brand loyalty, etc.

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax) #3  
If you are being swayed by "more tractor" maybe you should mover up a size category?

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax) #4  
BX with loader and backhoe is around 2600 lbs. Not sure where you got that weight number. Probably tractor only.

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax) #6  
Either machine could do for what I am looking for, but I am not really that impressed with the BX25. I mean I was ok with the BX until I tried the GC. Then I also compared the specs and wow. I have nothing against Kubota, but I'm surprised that others prefer the BX.

Loader Lift to pin: GC-920lbs, BX-745lbs
Backhoe roll force: GC-2476lbs, BX-1936lbs
Weight: GC-2670lbs, BX-1587lbs (heavier is better IMO for balance and digging, etc)

And the big thing is the loader lift speed! The GC is at least twice as fast under the same RPM.:shocked:

But with a $7500 difference (tax included) I am hoping there are others that can convince my brain that the BX is better then the GC or that the GC is worth the $7500 more.

Thanks for any feedback!

Time for some new reading glasses. Corrections, per the Kubota and MF website data:

Loader lift to max height at the pins GC: 870lbs, BX: 745 lbs
Loader breakout force GC: 920lbs, BX: 992lbs
Backhoe digging force GC: 2,476lbs, BX: 1,936lbs
Weight (Tractor only) GC: 1,433lbs BX: 1,587lbs

Your weight comparison is off because you used the GC weight including loader and backhoe while comparing it to the tractor only weight of the BX. You can play games with the spec sheets to make just about any tractor look good or bad. For example, you left off the 3 point lift capacities, where the GC is weak at 550lbs vs BX at 680lbs, but overall, these two tractors are deliberately very similar in general size and performance because they compete nose to nose in a very popular segment of the market. They are both very nice machines that work well for their intended uses. Each has many loyal owners who are happy with their machines. It would be a mistake to think one will outwork the other in general everyday use, although each will have one or two things it does a little better than the other. Decide based on your personal preference, which dealer you like best, based on the best deal you can get or what color you favor.

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax) #7  
If you prefer the Massey, but want to save money, why not search for a used GC1710/20?? I have no doubt you could find one..and similar year with number of hours, might even be cheaper than the used Kubota you are looking at....

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax)
I knew something seemed odd there, about the weight.

"Decide based on your personal preference, which dealer you like best, based on the best deal you can get or what color you favor."

Wise words. I come from a very meager and post-war thrifty upbringing by my parents. It's killing my genetics to just spend more.

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax) #9  
The other thing to be careful about is that front loader capacity is always quoted at full height. And the capacity drops the higher you lift the bucket (there are curves in owner's manuals that cover this). Unless both loaders go to the same exact height, you can't compare the numbers directly. As an example, for all we know, the Kubota may raise higher but if you dropped it down to the max height of the GC it may have comparable or even higher lift force (I don't know, just giving an example).

There was another post recently where someone compared lift numbers without realizing one tractor went 10" higher. When that one dropped down 10" it was comparable.

And then to top it off, most of us care about lifting capacity down low, where we tend to use the front loader. Capacities are significantly higher down low than at the max height. On my tractor, the lift capacity down low is 2.5X higher than the rated lift capacity at max height. Big difference!!!

So bottom line, be careful making a paper study of tractor specs. If you don't know all the little nuances, it can easily give the wrong conclusions.

/ BX25D used ($16000) vs GC1710 new ($20750 plus tax) #10  
I think both of them are fine units, so I'll only advise on the price of the GC1710

That price seems way high for a GC1710.
I was just recently looking at them and had my dealer quote me one out and it was under $16,000, and yes that was for a new unit.
I would google Massey Ferguson gc1710 for sale. And see what types of prices you see, and maybe print off ads and take into your dealer.

It may make your decision easier