Buying Advice Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota)

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota) #1  

NPurdy1112

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510 HST
Hello everyone. I have been browsing for a month. And I think we are getting closer to pulling the trigger on a property and then a tractor. Currently I have only talked to a Kubota dealer. My fiances parents would most likely disown us if we got anything else, haha. He recommended that we talk to his guy just over the state line (to avoid paying sales tax. Is that a common thing to do?).

• Current use would be property maintenance.
  • 10 total acres of pasture. Front is fenced.
  • Fencing rear pasture in future.
  • Wooded section between pastures. (house has supplemental wood burner).
  • Gravel driveway (~600') maintenance.
  • Animals in the near future. (Chickens, goat, mini/mid sized cattle).

Property layout (inside the yellow):
2114 greencastle lot lines.png

I have talked to the Kubota dealer multiple times. We have talked everything from a BX to a L2501. I would like to keep the price under $20k after incentives and rebates. A BX is going to be way to small. A larger B (2650 or even 3350) seems to be stuck at the top of my list, along with the L2501. Dealer told me the L2501 has about $2500 in rebates PLUS the implement incentives. I am highly considering the L2501 unless I can be talked into something else.

Items we are wanting on any model would be; Quick attach FEL and HST transmission at a minimum.

Please let me know what information I am forgetting that anyone may need to give advice.

Thank you,
Nick

Last edited:
   / Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota) #2  
This will be a pivotal moment for you. It's time to establish yourself as the man of the household and do exactly the opposite of what your future FIL wants. He will respect you more for it. He wants his daughter to be with a leader. Don't fail the test. Get a Deere and make him jealous!

Brett

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota) #3  
Oh yeah. You almost never hear someone saying they wish they had a smaller tractor. Figure the one that will work for you and go up two sizes minimum.

Brett

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota) #4  
This will be a pivotal moment for you. It's time to establish yourself as the man of the household and do exactly the opposite of what your future FIL wants. He will respect you more for it. He wants his daughter to be with a leader. Don't fail the test. Get a Deere and make him jealous!

Brett

A man after my own heart.

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota) #5  
A man after my own heart.

With that being said, if it was between a Deere and Kubota in that HP class, I wouldn't start a family feud over those two choices. Either one will do the task for many years. Honestly I might even let my wife pick out the one she likes the best; on a purchase like this I would rather have her on my side than against me. Makes buying attachments much easer in the future.

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota) #6  
With that being said, if it was between a Deere and Kubota in that HP class, I wouldn't start a family feud over those two choices. Either one will do the task for many years. Honestly I might even let my wife pick out the one she likes the best; on a purchase like this I would rather have her on my side than against me. Makes buying attachments much easer in the future.

Haha. Exactly. Both are great tractors in that size and really up to atleast 50hp

brett

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota)
hahaha Good ice breaker guys.

If I had more background knowledge on tractors I would be more open with other brands. But they will be a big source of everything tractor for us until we get the hang of it.

I have priced and compared green vs organge, but online only. Even the Kubota dealer said if I get anything else to go green. I was surprised he even mentioned those words haha.

Personally I dont care what color the tractor is. I just want a reliable machine that will get the job done and at a reasonable price (to us).

Without having any experience I feel like a larger B series (2650) could get the job done. But if there are more rebates on the L2501 then why not? I dont think the L3301 or similar is in our budget new.

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota) #8  
You are responsible for Indiana state sales tax if if tractor is purchased out of state. Many, however, dodge this obligation and get away with it. Others are caught and have to pay sales tax and a fine.

A more serious infraction is your potential FIL recommending this practice to you. Not something to be communicating on a web forum. EDIT.

He is right in everyway, but deals are done like this everyday. I think the risk is very low of what "might" happen if you are a betting man.

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota) #9  
hahaha Good ice breaker guys.

If I had more background knowledge on tractors I would be more open with other brands. But they will be a big source of everything tractor for us until we get the hang of it.

I have priced and compared green vs organge, but online only. Even the Kubota dealer said if I get anything else to go green. I was surprised he even mentioned those words haha.

Personally I dont care what color the tractor is. I just want a reliable machine that will get the job done and at a reasonable price (to us).

Without having any experience I feel like a larger B series (2650) could get the job done. But if there are more rebates on the L2501 then why not? I dont think the L3301 or similar is in our budget new.

What's the price difference between the 2501 and 3301? When you talking this kind of money, I can always justify by saying we will just skip going out to eat on night a month and there's the $50 I needed to get what I want. It's far cheaper to buy it once, than buy it twice. This is the most important thing I can tell you. I work with a guy that has 5 acres. Bought a 2501, used and abused it for two years. Finally realized it was to small and now he has an mx5200. He loves it and wished he bought it first. You can buy impliment off CL and save tons of money vs buying new at the dealer

Brett

/ Recommendations for first tractor (Kubota)
He is right in everyway, but deals are done like this everyday. I think the risk is very low of what "might" happen if you are a betting man.

Agree 100%. Kind of like paying your state tax on anything you purchase online. I cant say I know anyone who claims that on their taxes each year.