Comparison Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #11  
Wasn’t trying to “bash” the husky at all. Just putting some facts out there. Nothing in my post is factually inaccurate. The engine in the Husky is good, nothing bad to say about it. The tranny is good, the frame is weak and warranty is weak. Sorry if that offends you. For others considering this model, be very careful putting a snow blower on front- it’s been known to bend the frame and as I already stated Johnny Products will not sell a Johnny bucket to owners of several husky models as they tend to bend the frame.

BTW is anyone is “bashing” it’s you. The John Deere promise entitles the buyer to get a full refund if they so choose. When you need an obscure part for your husky in 8 years you might then appreciate Deere’s product support. I highly doubt JD is too worried about the GT48GTXLS, as owners of John Deere tend to put a solidly built machine with tremendous warranty and product support over – Budget lawn tractors like Husky GT48GTXLS, which is just another competitor in the highly crowded and competitive budget buyer market that Deere already competes with its D100 series and S240- hope that helps!!

congrats on your Husqvarna- hope you are happy with it 500 hours from now!!

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #12  
In fairness I should add the Husky might be a good pick for you Plowhog- you have a SCUT and will not ask the tractor to do anything but mow. Anyone who just wants to mow and has hills , again it is a contender in that market. If you are looking to plow, snow blow perhaps add a Johnny Bucket, pull a heavy cart- the GT48GTXLS is probably not a good choice. If Warranty and product support is important- again not a good choice. But hey for 3k you do get a nice engine and tranny

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #13  
Regarding: "Nothing in my post is factually inaccurate." Could you provide some objective data in support?

Regarding: "The GT48DXLS would slot somewhere between D 100 series and X300 series." I found most people here, after analyzing, view a Husqvarna GT48DXLS comparable in-between the Deere X3XX andX5XX platforms. Functionally superior to the X3XX platform with equal engines and transaxle, but the Husqvarna has an electric locking differential. Frame and other parts reasonably equal with the X3XX platform but inferior compared to the Deere X5XX platform which is much better engineered with stronger components. I first compared the Husqvarna vs the X380, but those opinions shared by others caused me to instead choose and decide between a Husqvarna and the Deere X5XX platform. Your opinion to "slot" the Husqvarna below the X3XX platform and somewhat comparable to the 100 series is something I have seen anyone else suggest. How do you support the GT48DXLS being reasonable comparable to the 100?

Regarding: "first of all the Kawasaki in JD is higher end engine." Aren't the FS engine (Deere) and FR engine (Husqvarna) essentially the same? There are many internet searches where nobody can even find any material difference. I know Kawasaki describes the Deere FS engine for "riding mowers", and the Husqvarna FR engine for "lawn tractors." That is on the Kawasaki engine page. What specifically can you point to in support of why the Deere FS Kawasaki engine is "higher end?" Something about the design of the knob on the air cleaner?

Regarding: "If Warranty and product support is important- again not a good choice." I have a very strong dealer. They provide excellent support. I have patronized them for over 50 years for many brands of equipment. You are commenting on something you cannot possibly know anything about. Factually inaccurate.

Regarding: "The warranty isn’t transferable, so it depresses resale value as it doesn’t come with a warranty." What is your source for resale value? At $4,800 for a Deere and $3,100 for a Husqvarna, it just seems logical that if you held each for five years and re-sold, the cost of ownership and operation on a Deere would be higher. Choose 20% annual depreciation and the $4,800 Deere becomes $1,572 after five years. After depreciation, cost to own the Deere five years was $3,228. Even if you believed a Husqvarna would depreciate 50% faster, or 30% per year, you are still money ahead. A $3,100 Husqvarna at 30% depreciation becomes $1,015. Cost to own a Husqvarna was $2,085.

Using these numbers, for roughly equal capability mowers it cost $1,700 more to buy the Deere, and at five years, even presuming half again faster depreciation, it was still $1,143 more expensive to have chosen Deere. What objective resale data can you supply that would back up your claim?

Maybe a little off-topic, but in my case, the $1,700 saved will buy a Cyclone Rake. I have a seasonal *huge* leaf cleanup at my property. I think most people in my circumstances would choose the Husqvarna with Cyclone Rake versus the bare Deere riding mower. In the past, hours of hand raking has not been fun!! :laughing:

Thank you for commenting that the Husqvarna is a good choice and fit for my needs. Yes I agree. My mowing needs are pretty simple, probably much simpler than many who would choose equipment of this caliber. Had I wanted to do more with the unit, I would have likely chosen the Deere X5XX platform. But at about double the cost, I couldn't justify that due to my basic mowing needs. My assessment of the risk in buying the Husqvarna model is more that it is a first year model, which sometimes have "teething" problems that get worked out in later years.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #14  
A lot of inaccuracies in your post- the X300 series engines are slightly better, The Husky transaxle is slightly stronger, although many of the X300 series tractors have a serviceable transaxle. Many of the x300 series tractors have hydraulic lift and power steering something the husky lacks. The X300 series has much..much stronger frame, the brackets for transaxle is much better on JD. The X300 series has much stronger steering mechanism. The 300 series has vastly better controls and ergonomics. The X300 has much..much better warranty and much better product support. About the only thing the husky has going for it over the x3xx series is a slightly stronger tranny. In fact the husky really should be compared to other low end budget tractors like the JD D100 series, troy built, Cub Cadet Xt1 etc etc

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #15  
A lot of inaccuracies in your post- the X300 series engines are slightly better, The Husky transaxle is slightly stronger, although many of the X300 series tractors have a serviceable transaxle. Many of the x300 series tractors have hydraulic lift and power steering something the husky lacks. The X300 series has much..much stronger frame, the brackets for transaxle is much better on JD. The X300 series has much stronger steering mechanism. The 300 series has vastly better controls and ergonomics. The X300 has much..much better warranty and much better product support. About the only thing the husky has going for it over the x3xx series is a slightly stronger tranny. In fact the husky really should be compared to other low end budget tractors like the JD D100 series, troy built, Cub Cadet Xt1 etc etc

Can you post the specs of the machines you are comparing? Size and gauge of frames ext. transaxle models between the JD lines and Husqvarna lines. Stories of bent Husqvarna frames from attachments ext.

Your throwing a lot of info out there about a product you have only read about. I'm not at all saying your wrong just your argument would hold more weight if you post stories and specs on machines.

BTW nobody is arguing that JD doesn't make a stronger garden tractor. Most of us on this site (compact tractor forum) own compact tractors and are looking more for a large lawn mower that can handle hills better.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #16  
By coincidence, today brought out some great aspects of the Husqvarna mower. I finally unboxed the rear bagger I bought about a month ago. ($375) I took about 15 minutes to install. All went smooth except the front bolt on the lower chute was kind of hard for one person to hold and tighten at the same time. (Pic)

In comparison, when I considered purchasing a Deere X380 the salesman told me a dealer should install a bagger. He said a "power flow" was needed and there was some cutting involved to install. He quoted $150 installation. The 7-Bushel Power Flow Bagger on the Deere site is priced at $1,218!! Apparently the X380 doesn't have enough side discharge strength to run a bagger, so it needs this separate powerflow unit ($$) with the bagger. With tax on the extra item, that would make a Deere X380 with bagger $6,268. The Husqvarna has strong side discharge and doesn't need a power flow. The Husqvarna with bagger and tax is $3,505. ($3,100 + $405) That's edging the X380 closer to double the price, yet with no locking differential.

I filled the bagger, and wondered where to dump the clippings? I drove to a remote area of the property to dump. After emptying, I tried to drive out but could not. I was on a slope covered with very dry pine needles that were very slippery. No problem driving down it. But when trying to come up, I had only one wheel spinning and digging a hole and was going nowhere except occasionally sliding sideways. I throttled back, pushed the electric locking differential button to engage it, and drove right out! (pic)

And, I got to see Bigfoot at the property again!! (pic)

HusqvarnaBaggerUpload.jpgHusqvarnaStuckUpload.jpgBigfootUpload.jpg

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #17  
Plowhog—you are getting way to sensitive- The lower end deere’s don’t have a power flow either, most low budget tractors dont take a power flow- and I’m quite sure a D130 could have done what you did today and it costs 2,200 with bagger. The D130 can handle a snow blower or Johnny bucket- something the husky cannot- so I guess that’s a better value. Here is video of John Deere L120 ( costs about 1500) please note you husky’s frame is not strong enough to mount a Johnny bucket. ( so I guess the 1500 john Deere is better than your 3500 husky eh? )
Johnny Bucket - YouTube

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #18  
Had a good experience with my mower today, all around. Was nice it performs as I expect and nice to see a deer. For some reason they have been scarce this year. There was a newborn fawn in the yard about ten days ago. I think the deer I saw today is "mom."

The only drawback in an otherwise good day was that metal sprinkler I drove over almost immediately upon getting to the lawn. :mad:

Seems there is plenty of varied opinions in this thread for other folks to consider. So, I will leave it at that.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #19  
Agreed we can agree to disagree about where that models falls-- but what we can agree on- I'm glad you enjoyed your time on your tractor today and it performed for you- and great pics!!

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #20  
Pretty sure I can get more gravel in one scoop of a shovel then that Johny bucket.:thumbsup: