Comparison Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #1  

FLS1216

Tractor
Husqvarna GT48DXLS
I've really enjoyed reading the various discussions comparing Husqvarna and John Deere while searching for my new lawn tractor. My new 2017 Husqvarna GT48DXLS was delivered this past Thursday by Boiling Springs Small Engines. My prior mower was the 2013 Husqvarna YT42XLS with 23HP Kawasaki and TuffTorq K46 transmission. There were several things about that mower that I didn't like including the steering, the autolocking K46, and the cut quality of the fabricated deck.The left front wheel will literally catch/rub against the tie rod when turned all the way to the left and this occurs after having the tie rods replaced with redesigned ones under warranty.I was never completely satisfied with the cut quality of the deck. The transmission was also replaced under warranty because it tended to lock when it wasn't supposed to.
I am happy to say that Husqvarna addressed all these issues with the new GT48DXLS..It steers, cuts, and rides smoother than the YT42XLS. The steering is very low effort and no longer has the tie rod issue. The cut quality of the new Clear Cut deck is very good and the clippings really do disappear when they exit the chute. It does have quite a hum, i.e., kind of loud, but on the other hand it does blow the clippings with a lot of force. I don't have the transmission locking issue any longer since the GT48 has the K66 a switch on the dash to control the locking differential. All said I'm very pleased that Husqvarna has made a tremendous amount of improvement in 4 model years.
Now on to what this post is about, Comparing the GT48DXLS to John Deere. I seriously considered the JD X380 and the X570 during my mower search. The X380 with a 22HP Kawasaki, TuffTorq K58 transmission, and 48" Accel Deep deck cost $4400. The X570 with 24HP Kawasaki, TuffTorq K72 transmission, and 48" Accel Deep deck cost $6000. The Husqvarna GT48DXLS with 24HP Kawasaki, TuffTorq K66 transmission with switch controlled locking differential, and 48" Clear Cut deck cost me $2800. If you look at the specs the Husqvarna slots neatly between the two John Deere models. If there were a X400 series it would have specs like the Husqvarna. As far as value for your money, I'd say the Husqvarna wins hands down! Forgot to mention that the Clear Cut deck has a lifetime warranty on the deck shell.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #2  
Sounds like you made the right choice and the Husky's do represent a good value. I bought a X590 last year and I must admit that that green paint is very expensive. The X590 does have the K72 transmission, fuel injection, power steering, hydraulic deck lift, and fly-by-wire so it's a pretty sweet ride for my 1.5 acre lawn.

I'm glad that I went with a mower with the K72 now because in addition to mowing I also use it to pull a lawn aerator, sweeper, seeder/fertilizer, and it will soon be used to tow a chicken tractor out to the pasture and back. Our "dump" is at the bottom of a steep hill where we empty the dump cart so having the peace of mind that I'm not overworking my transmission is nice.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #3  
Do they have the GT48DXL in a larger deck? My deck on my GTH2454T is 54in and I like that size a lot, 60in would even be better.

I'll tell you what, you got me thinking about upgrading now lol, what's the GT48XLS top speed?

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new machine. Pics please

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere
If I wanted a bigger deck I'd look at the GT52XLS or the GTH52XLS although neither one has the new Clear Cut deck. I'm partial to the GT52XLS because of the Kawasaki engine. I'll see if I can get those pics up in the next day or two.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere
Looks like you also made the best choice to fit your usage/needs. I just use mine for mowing our 1 acre. I know it's kind of overkill but it sure is nice!

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #6  
The X380 is a fine machine, but maybe past its prime. Early this year I decided to buy one, and took the pickup to the Deere dealer with checkbook in hand. Did not have a positive experience, and maybe got lucky because of that.

I did more research and learned of the GT48DXLS, although they were not shipping yet since they were a new model. Within a month, I saw one, ordered one, and took delivery. Fantastic machine. The force of the side discharge is awesome.

The Deere deck uses slightly heavier material, 10ga vs 11ga. But the Husqvarna has a locking differential. The Deere X7XX and X5XX have locking differentials, but this was omitted on the X380. I'm just a one-unit residential purchaser, but it seems to me the features and engineering on the new Husqvarna has equaled or exceeded the X380. In my area, the Deere was about $4,800 out the door, and Deere's policy on price was "take it or leave it." The Husqvarna, out the door, was about $3100. Slight discount from MSRP (5%)

A Cyclone Rake is a hugely valuable attachment for me, as we annually have a huge leaf cleanup. They run about $1,500. In my case, I could get the Husqvarna plus the Cyclone Rake for about the same price as the Deere X380 with no bagger at all.

If it was just the Deere X380 vs Husqvarna GT48DXLS, I am convinced the prices on X380's would have dropped in price by now. I did notice Deere offered $500 factory discount on X380's right before the GT48DXLS started to hit the market. Hmmm. But, Deere has to be careful. If they monkey with the X380 price that could affect other models, both in the X3XX platform, and X5XX, and X7XX platforms.

Before making a final purchase decision, I wound up comparing the Husqvarna more to the X5XX platform. It seems that only when you get into the X5XX platform do you start to get stronger frame strength and other goodies to better expand the machines use beyond routine mowing. But, that made the comparison "about $3,000" versus "about $6,000."

I have exactly 5 hours on the Husqvarna right now. Admittedly a new machine, not even broke in yet. But its performance has been excellent.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #7  
You should consider filling the rear tires. It will make it behave better in most every way.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #8  
I made the same journey, and met another pitiful sales department at a green dealer. They sell lots of big green tractors, and don't care to stock or sell lowly riding mowers. I passed on the x380, as I have steep slopes. The dealer didn't stock any x5xx or x7xx units at all, nor would they order in a x570 for me to examine unless I ordered it and gave them 20% non-refundable deposit. About the time I'd talked myself into it, the GT48DXLS thread was started by the user of the same name. After an extensive search, my local repair shop informed me that they were just becoming a Husky dealer, could get me a California-approved version, and would be delighted to do so. Five days later it was in my possession, having been fully prepped by the dealer. I had none of the issues mentioned by the forum member who had his drop-shipped.

It has been all over my 5ac property, with my XXL self or my petite wife in the seat. It climbs like a goat, mows great, is very strong, and throws clippings unbelievably far - like all the way across a residential street. This was the first mow of the season that saw over twice normal rainfall, and the Husky mowed many areas that had only seen a string trimmer before. In addition to steep slopes, we have several hundred oak trees and the mountain is constantly expelling granite. That makes for some challenging mowing conditions. The wife has a notable ability to find granite escaping the ground, concealed in the foot tall grass/weeds. She uses the mower blades extensively in this search, and soon damaged two of the blades severely. As fate would have it, I had a new set of Gator G5s on hand, as well as a finally-assembled ATV/mower jack from HF. Five minutes to change them out, and back in business - better than new.

JD does do parts far better than Husky, in my limited experience. SWMBO bent, broke, or wore out lots of parts on our L130, and the dealer had it all in stock: blades, belts, tie rods, mower clutch, etc. If Sales had people of the quality of the Parts counter, they'd sell lots more mowers. Husky takes a while to ship - although it could be because the model is new - still waiting on the mulch plug.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #9  
I'. If you look at the specs the Husqvarna slots neatly between the two John Deere models. If there were a X400 series it would have specs like the Husqvarna. As far as value for your money, I'd say the Husqvarna wins hands down! Forgot to mention that the Clear Cut deck has a lifetime warranty on the deck shell.
I know this post is a month old, and I don’t want to insult those of you that have bought a Husky, but I thought I should clear up a few misconceptions. The GT48DXLS would slot somewhere between D 100 series and X300 series. Let’s explore the difference- first of all the Kawasaki in JD is higher end engine. The frame on the JD is worlds stronger- Husqvarna really cut corners with the frame- you can’t even get a Johnny bucket for GT48DXLS as it will bend the frame. Don’t try to use the Husky as a garden tractor as again you’ll eventually bend the frame, the hitch plate is extremely weak.( again cut corners) I should mention you can get a Johnny bucket even on D100 series. Warranty isn’t even close- Husqvarna doesn’t warranty the engine or tranny, if you have a problem you have to go back to engine or tranny manufacturer. The warranty isn’t transferable, so it depresses resale value as it doesn’t come with a warranty. Ergonomics on JD along with digital dash is worlds better on JD. Although I know some of you have had problems with JD dealers… Dealer network for JD is much, much better and I won’t even get into support for product 5, 10 even 25 years down the road- JD’s parts distribution system is second to none. Of course you get the John Deere promise with all JD lawn and garden tractors. In short yeah, you’ll pay more the JD- but you get a lot of peace of mind and much..much better product support. The GT48DXL is a fine machine as long as you don’t have any warranty issues and use it as a lawn tractor- you try to use it as a garden tractor and you will run into all kinds of problems. John Deere actually tried this a decade or so ago- they put a K66 in a G100 series tractor- it was basically a k66 in a L100 (forerunner of today’s D 100 series) it never really worked as the G100 was still basically a 100 series tractor with a stronger transaxle.

/ Husqvarna GT48DXLS Compared to John Deere #10  
Regarding: "I know this post is a month old, and I don’t want to insult those of you that have bought a Husky ..." Umm, but that is the entire focus of your post?

My Husqvarna (not Husky) GT48GTXLS is a great machine. Very pleased with it. About $3,100 out the door instead of $4,700 out the door for a Deere X380. Comparable Kawasaki engine, only very slight difference. In a different thread, BrokeFarmerJohn described how these two engines are almost identical. Comparable transaxle, a K58 vs K66. The Deere deck is slightly stronger with one at 10ga and one at 11ga. Deere purposely omits a locking differential on the X3XX platform so it isn't available at all on the X380. My opinion is they omit that to try to push buyers into even higher priced X5XX model-- well over $5,000. My opinion is that a locking differential should be standard equipment at $3,000 and higher, which my Husqvarna has. I've found that feature very useful on slopes or if lawn is slippery.

Deere corporate knew the Husqvarna model was coming early this year. I believe that is why their $500 rebate on an X380 purchase was timed right before the GT48DXLS began to be distributed. Time will tell, but I believe there will be a downward adjustment to the X380 price since it isn't really price competitive with new models.

If I ever move to the Azores or North Africa, I might regret not having access to Deere's far flung network of dealers and parts. But a remote dealer I will never patronize doesn't help me mow my lawn. Regarding the John Deere "promise", my dealer also promised he would be very eager to take even more of my money if I brought the Husqvarna back and wanted to spend even more money on some other higher priced model. I didn't do that, and of course probably few buyers ever would.

John Deere make a nice machine. I don't dispute that in any way, except maybe the value-engineered big box D100 series. And I strongly considered buying an X380. It was my second place choice. But as part of repeating the biased push for the John Deere brand, I'd suggest repeating positive talking points about Deere instead of the wide range of bashing and belittling the entire Husqvarna brand or other models. Might be more effective; definitely more professional! :laughing: