advice on a 1960's 24hp IH 504

/ advice on a 1960's 24hp IH 504 #1  

cooltubnoac

Tractor
1948 CASE
advice on a 1960\'s 24hp IH 504

Hello, we are brand new to this site and to tractors in general. We just found a 1960's 24hp IH 504 tractor w/ hydraulic front end loader,PTO, rear grading blade,liquid filled tires for $3500. We are reasonably sure it is in good condition and well maintained-owner is a friend. Please look at our bio--is this the tractor for us? Is this a good price? What else might we need?

Thank You!! Kyle and Kristen

/ advice on a 1960's 24hp IH 504 #2  
Re: advice on a 1960\'s 24hp IH 504

Welcome to TBN!!! You'll find lots of great info here!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think we need to know a little more than your bio supplies. What exactly do you want to do with the tractor? Brush hog? Plow? Snow removal? Etc.

Is your land flat or hilly? Dry or wet?

Are you getting livestock? Will you be dealing with manure?

The price of the tractor seems reasonable, and the front end loader will be your most used implement for sure. I'm a big proponent of using vintage tractors, I have a 1967 Oliver and a 1951 Ferguson. A lot of people will insist that you need four wheel drive, but I don't have that on either of my tractors, and my farm is pretty hilly and has a lot of wet spots, but if you're careful, you'll be fine.

So give us some more info, and you'll get a lot of advice!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ advice on a 1960's 24hp IH 504 #3  

Welcome to TBN. Glad to have you with us. With the amount of land you have, the projects you've mentioned, etc., I'll venture a guess that before long you're going to want a bigger tractor, 4WD, maybe hydrostatic transmission, etc. However, if money's a major concern (always has been with me) and that tractor is in reasonably good condition, I'd say to buy it. I could be wrong in my guess and you might find it's adequate for a long time. But at least it's a good start, and if you do decide later that you need to trade up, I don't think you'll lose much on reselling it or trading it in for another one.

/ advice on a 1960's 24hp IH 504 #4  

Bird, I thought about this post. You answered the way I wanted to but could not find the words. I have a International 454. It would do many of the things I need done here at my place. The problem is, after having 4WD and then buying HST (on Mark Chalkeys advice) which I have never regretted, I now find myself getting into situations that my International could never do. There is no question that the 2WD tractor considered here could make life easier and quite frankly, more fun. I too would strongly consider it's purchase. The chances of recovering the investment are very good should they reconsider 4WD down the road. My vote is to go for it.

/ advice on a 1960's 24hp IH 504 #5  

<font color="blue"> We just found a 1960's 24hp IH 504 tractor </font>
If that is the tractor I am thinking of? You have a 40-50 HP tractor. Good old tractors. if the tractor weight does not cause a problem with yard work, The price is ok, although most of those had no power stering and a lot were gas, not diesel and narrow front end models--Ken Sweet

/ advice on a 1960's 24hp IH 504 #6  

My brother-in-law has 5 (that's right, FIVE) of them. all are 2WD diesel w/ power steering. I have spent countless hours on the seat of them and think they are a great old tractor. They are approximately 45 PTO HP. The Torque Amplifier is an awesome feature.

/ advice on a 1960's 24hp IH 504 #7  

My IH574 has a torque amplifier but I not 100% sure what it actully does. I know it gives me an extra 8 gears (in total) but I also know I have no engine braking when it is set in the "Turtle" position.
Can someone please explain?