Buying Advice How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger?

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger? #1  

danisiri

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HDC12
I have an LS XR4040H with 30 hours on it. I want to upgrade to something in the 60-70HP range with a cab. I looked at trading in my LS, and the dealers lowballed me horribly ($12K). It has been really difficult to get a decent offer for it privately. I am thinking that I might as well keep it. But, the wife wants me to sell it before upgrading, lol.

How many of y'all kept your old, smaller tractor? I like the small one for maneuverability, but it lacks power for the tasks I need to do. I would keep it for mowing around the house and other tight spaces.

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger? #2  
I have an LS XR4040H with 30 hours on it. I want to upgrade to something in the 60-70HP range with a cab. I looked at trading in my LS, and the dealers lowballed me horribly ($12K). It has been really difficult to get a decent offer for it privately. I am thinking that I might as well keep it. But, the wife wants me to sell it before upgrading, lol.

Unfortunately this is what happens when you go to trade in a "non strong name " tractor whether it be a LS, Kioti, or Branson. Not many people who buy them will ever admit this tho. This would be a tough trade for both you and dealer. The dealer still has to find a buyer for your tractor. Sometimes you have to lick your battle scares and go on.

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger? #3  
I have been low balled on trade with every single brand except for New Holland and Kioti and figure that if I actively tried to trade my current Kioti in eventually a dealer would offer me a low ball deal at some point. The worst low ball offers I have ever received when selling privately were for JD and Kubota so don't be discouraged just screen people over the phone before wasting time having them look at it and make sure they understand you know the machines value and your not giving it away.

Most low ball offers you will receive on an off brand machine will be from people like GreatWiggins post above who honestly believe that it doesn't carry the value like the big name brands and are simply trying to exploit that ! Don't budge on the price for a low baller no matter what brand your selling simply tell them they must not really want it and walk away unless for some reason you believe your local market is currently flooded with high quality machines at the same price point. In that case you will have to modify the price or play the waiting game no matter the brand!

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger? #4  
I have kept tractors and other vehicles instead of trading them.
It just depends on the tractors worth to me in cash or usage.
I have a tractor that is just for parts. I have another tractor that is just a spare usage. I have a '01 Tahoe that runs great and is easier to drive than my big truck. I could get 3K for it but it is too good to sell for 3K. I can use it and the spare tractor for years and sell them for the same as selling them today. So...take the money and....or kept the equipment for convenience. I like the convenience.

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger? #5  
Having more than one tractor is a must for me. I think a 40 hp and a 70 hp tractor would be a great combo.

You are certainly going to take a beating trading a 30 hr tractor. 12 grand does seem a bit insulting, though.

There are really 3 factors in this. Do you have storage space to store the machine inside without moving it every time you need to work in that space? Do you have the money to keep it, and can you live without putting that cash toward your new machine? Do you have time and resources to maintain two tractors?

With my used tractors, owning them is the same as having money in a low interest savings account. Actually, it's better - can't get work done with a savings account. I have less in the three of them that you have in your LS. But - I'm a hobby farmer and not using them to make money. They do take a certain amount of time / attention / money however.

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger?
Having more than one tractor is a must for me. I think a 40 hp and a 70 hp tractor would be a great combo.

You are certainly going to take a beating trading a 30 hr tractor. 12 grand does seem a bit insulting, though.

There are really 3 factors in this. Do you have storage space to store the machine inside without moving it every time you need to work in that space? Do you have the money to keep it, and can you live without putting that cash toward your new machine? Do you have time and resources to maintain two tractors?

With my used tractors, owning them is the same as having money in a low interest savings account. Actually, it's better - can't get work done with a savings account. I have less in the three of them that you have in your LS. But - I'm a hobby farmer and not using them to make money. They do take a certain amount of time / attention / money however.

I'm blessed to make a good living and am a hobby farmer as well. I could buy a larger tractor in a heartbeat and keep this one....but the wife is more frugal than I when it comes to these type of transactions, lol. We have 70 acres and this little tractor is good for smaller projects around the homestead, but major shredding or even just moving hay bales taxes it. Plus, my allergies are telling me to get a cabbed tractor too, hehe.

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger? #7  
I'm blessed to make a good living and am a hobby farmer as well. I could buy a larger tractor in a heartbeat and keep this one....but the wife is more frugal than I when it comes to these type of transactions, lol. We have 70 acres and this little tractor is good for smaller projects around the homestead, but major shredding or even just moving hay bales taxes it. Plus, my allergies are telling me to get a cabbed tractor too, hehe.

Give it to your wife! Let her take over the smaller projects!

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger? #8  
I struggle with having only one tractor. If the financials worked out where I could keep the L3301 and get something bigger I wouldn't hesitate to keep it. A smaller tractor is handy for tasks that don't require the larger. I use the tractor to take the trash to the end of the drive. I'd hardly need 70HP to do that. Likewise I'd like to have a "cart" tractor and one for loading.

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger?
Unfortunately this is what happens when you go to trade in a "non strong name " tractor whether it be a LS, Kioti, or Branson. Not many people who buy them will ever admit this tho. This would be a tough trade for both you and dealer. The dealer still has to find a buyer for your tractor. Sometimes you have to lick your battle scares and go on.

The non-LS dealer told me he contacted his three wholesalers, and the highest price he got was $12K. He recommended selling it private party.

/ How many kept their old tractor when upgrading to something larger? #10  
There should be a really strong market for a low hour, 4wd, CUT.... Either he's asking too much or the brand is the problem. I would expect a depreciation of $4-8k but then again my experience has been with Kubotas.