40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor

/ 40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor #1  

4tillingdirt

Silver Member
Tractor
N/A
I am sure this applies to most makes, but for example with an LS XR tractor you can get the same engine, frame, tires with HP ranging from 40 to 55. Where would the extra 15 really make any difference with the identical tractor? From what I understand once the warranty runs out you can just "turn up the fuel" to make a 55 hp tractor.

/ 40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor #2  
15hp is a BIG jump in a tractor...

SR

/ 40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor #3  
Excluding the discussion about modification of the purchased unit, it really depends on what you need the unit to do.

If you are buying it for a backhoe and loader for small earth moving projects, you don't require a ton of horsepower, what you need is weight. Weight makes traction, horsepower spins the wheels. Lots of tire spinning when working earth makes a mess of the job site fast. Too much power is a bad thing.

If you are buying the unit to operate mechanical PTO powered equipment like a round baler, the tractor needs enough horsepower per pound tow the loaded baler up and down hills while also driving the baler mechanics.

If you are mowing grass, you want lots of horsepower to clear gobs of tall grass from the mower deck without bogging, and you want light weight so you're not compacting the land or making ruts in soft areas.

The expectation that any tractor is great at all tasks is a falsehood created by salesmen that don't know how to use the machines they are selling. When you tell them you have a list of things you want to do, they should present you with a list of tractors and why each of them is better at one of your given tasks than another. Educating their buyer seems low priority to most unfortunately.

I think also, those "same frame and block with different horsepower ratings" also come with different sized tires, which brings into the discussion a lot of other variables.

/ 40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor #4  
Sysop, I agree with what you said but in my time my first tractor the salesman would not talk with me till I told him what I want the tractor for work wise. That was a Case and MF dealership. I bought next tractor from Kubota dealership and they did not offer any suggestion on the first tractor I bought from them but when I called back a few month later telling what I needed a tractor for the owner totally made the recommendation and I bought it over the phone. The JD I bought two years ago that salesman also was careful to learn what I wanted before making final recommendation. I have been blessed in the salesmen and dealerships over the years and the ones that wanted to just point and give me a price I passed on.

I think the big reason many dealerships don't take the time to learn the product so they can make proper recommendation is mostly caused by buyers who only care about the lowest price...it cost to have educated sales people and all the back up you need when you need it often greatly.

/ 40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor
Excluding the discussion about modification of the purchased unit, it really depends on what you need the unit to do.

If you are buying it for a backhoe and loader for small earth moving projects, you don't require a ton of horsepower, what you need is weight. Weight makes traction, horsepower spins the wheels. Lots of tire spinning when working earth makes a mess of the job site fast. Too much power is a bad thing.

If you are buying the unit to operate mechanical PTO powered equipment like a round baler, the tractor needs enough horsepower per pound tow the loaded baler up and down hills while also driving the baler mechanics.

If you are mowing grass, you want lots of horsepower to clear gobs of tall grass from the mower deck without bogging, and you want light weight so you're not compacting the land or making ruts in soft areas.

The expectation that any tractor is great at all tasks is a falsehood created by salesmen that don't know how to use the machines they are selling. When you tell them you have a list of things you want to do, they should present you with a list of tractors and why each of them is better at one of your given tasks than another. Educating their buyer seems low priority to most unfortunately.

I think also, those "same frame and block with different horsepower ratings" also come with different sized tires, which brings into the discussion a lot of other variables.

Would never use a baler. Use it mostly for FEL work, using box scrape and using rotary cutter. The 40 hp has same size tires as the 55. I don't mind paying the difference, but why pay $4K extra for 15 extra HP that will just make the tires easier to spin because the weight is the same as well.

/ 40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor #6  
Where would the extra 15 really make any difference with the identical tractor? From what I understand once the warranty runs out you can just "turn up the fuel" to make a 55 hp tractor.
The extra power could matter when running a power sapping implement like a wood chipper or foresty mulcher.

The Branson 4225 uses the same engine as my 3725. I asked what the difference is and was told its the fuel injectors. I've since read up on the Bosch VE mechanical pump these tractors use and that makes sense- the pump pressurizes the lines for a certain number of crankshaft degrees. Injectors with larger holes would allow more fuel. There may be a change to the pump adjustments as well. An electronic system would have an entirely different way to turn up the fuel and it may be protected by proprietary software.

The extra power could matter when running a power sapping implement like a wood chipper or foresty mulcher.

The Branson 4225 uses the same engine as my 3725. I asked what the difference is and was told its the fuel injectors. I've since read up on the Bosch VE mechanical pump these tractors use and that makes sense- the pump pressurizes the lines for a certain number of crankshaft degrees. Injectors with larger holes would allow more fuel. There may be a change to the pump adjustments as well. An electronic system would have an entirely different way to turn up the fuel and it may be protected by proprietary software.

Not going to be using either one of those implements. I guess I just pay the extra $4K and no need for discussion - LOL. In the case of a Mahindra 3540 vs a 3550 the Mahindra actually has larger front tires to go with the 9 HP and it weighs about 250lbs more. I could see that being more justification.

/ 40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor #8  
are you sure everything is the same? internal components of the engine may be different just a smidge. 40 to 55HP is a lot.

my beef would be loading up FEL plus backhoe bucket with dirt. and running 1 to 2 miles across farm. and wanting to get that extra speed up faster on the better lanes/roads on the farm here. granted i can not go 25mph on the roads, and a lot of hills to go up and down. but being able to press the pedal just a little more to maintain speed. vs needing to shift down to next range/gear in order to make it up a hill.

are you sure everything is the same? internal components of the engine may be different just a smidge. 40 to 55HP is a lot.

my beef would be loading up FEL plus backhoe bucket with dirt. and running 1 to 2 miles across farm. and wanting to get that extra speed up faster on the better lanes/roads on the farm here. granted i can not go 25mph on the roads, and a lot of hills to go up and down. but being able to press the pedal just a little more to maintain speed. vs needing to shift down to next range/gear in order to make it up a hill.

Same engine code for both. Dealer said unless I was doing something really HP intensive he would go with less HP and save the money.

/ 40 HP vs 55 HP in the same tractor #10  
I can tell the difference between my 40 HP TC40DA and my 50 HP Boomer 8N when I am using the 6' cutter. You are talking a 20% increase in HP, 33 HP PTO vs 40 HP PTO. The size is basically the same.