Tractor Sizing 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget

/ 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget #1  

Syslogv4

Tractor
Kubota L2501
We have about 10 acres of pasture to maintain plus a 1500ft gravel driveway. I have a Massey 135 diesel but it keeps having issues. Blowing freeze plugs, clutch not working with pto and 3pt raising by itself.

I need to bush hog the pasture and take care of the driveway and landscape, so a loader is a must. We feed round bales (16 at 4x5) a year.

We are havaing another baby soon and I won't have time for tinkering or fixing much so I'm looking at getting a new tractor. I'd like to keep it under $18,000.

We have established John Deere, Kubota, and Mahindra dealers nearby (Monroe, Nc) and an LS dealer not much further (30 miles). There is also a Kioti dealer nearby that just started selling tractors but is an established lawn mower / commercial dealer.

Any recommendations?

/ 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget #2  
To get one that will handle the 4x5 bales $18K new might not handle it. How heavy are the bales?

You probably need a FEL lift capacity of 1200 lbs, a B3350 would barely make it.
Perhaps a small Mahindra would.

/ 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget #3  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

I'm going to give it to you straight up, 'cause I also have a horse property and I feed out round bales... You are going to need at least a 40hp tractor.

The reason for that is the round bales. A smaller hp tractor can handle everything all of the usual day-to-day tasks but you'll need the the 'extra' hp for handling, moving & stacking the bales. A hydrostatic (HST) is also a very nice thing to have, especially for quick FWD/REV movements and if you're not familiar with shifting gears.

I have a JD 4105. JD doesn't make them anymore but there are some still available. My 300CX Front End Loader (FEL) has the capacity for round bales (and a bit more) but there are more 'robust' loaders available. A lot of tractors are easily maintained by inexperienced owners, so don't be intimidated if you've never done that sort of thing.

Talk to your neighbours who have tractors and take their advice on-board. Talk to the tractor salespeople (honestly) about your tractor needs. Have a seat (test drive if possible) on as any different tractors (any 'colour') to see if it 'fits' you and your partner. You've got a tractor, so you know what I'm talking about.

Enjoy the site.

/ 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget
We've been pushing out round bales by hand and could still continue to do so if needed but I'd like to at least have the 3 pt capacity to move them. We do not currently store bales, so I mainly need a good bush hogging / land scraping tractor. Once we can afford a 40+ hp tractor with a loader, I'll jump right on it. Any recommendations in the sub $18,000 range?

The John Deere dealer has a 5045e 2wd without a loader for $14,000 and it would satisfy all my needs except for the loader. I could always add a loader later but it's so expensive to do it after purchase.

What about the Max 26xl or JD 3025e for something with a loader? Also have the LS dealer with an XG3025 with loader for $14,999.

Last edited:
   / 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget #5  
My neighbor has a 2wd 75 HP Ford tractor with loader he uses for his small work (his little tractor as he calls it). He maintains the 25 acres around his house with it. That tractor is a beast. If you do a little bit of looking around you can probably find something similar or like that for around 10 to 12,000 in good condition.

/ 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget #6  
Here is what an $18,000 budget will get you ...

$18,750 - Indianland - 2014 LS 4047 tractor with front loader. Hydrostatic transmission. 4x4. 258 hrs. Single owner. Runs well. Go to LS website for more pics and specs. Tractor - farm & garden - by owner - sale

$15,900 - Richlands - john deere 4400/loader is in excellent condition with 500hrs, 4x4, shuttle-shift with power reverser, 37hp john-deere 44/loader - farm & garden - by owner - sale

$17,900 - Greer - John Deere 5303 tractor with loader,quick attach bucket and bale spear,joystick control,diesel,3 ph,power steering,rear remote,independent pto,roll guard,diff lock,field ready,can delve,may be able to help with financing John Deere 533 Tractor W/Loader - farm & garden - by owner - sale

$16,925 - Hickory - John Deere 4410 35hp 4x4 like new only 14 Hrs power steering 35hp Power Shift NO EMISSION ENGINE Loader this tractor is like new always garage kept 4x4 John Deere 441 35hp Loader Power Shift like new only 14 Hrs - farm & garden - by owner - sale

Last edited:
   / 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget
I should have stated earlier that we would need to finance something. We have enough for a down payment but don't want to put that much up front with a new baby coming in less than a month.

/ 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget #8  
I would go to the local tractor dealers and see what kind of used ones they have on the lot. They will finance used ones also. I would rather have a 3 or 4 yr old gently used 50 hp than a new 35 hp. Dont be afraid to check dealers 40-60 miles away. You would be surprised how much sometimes the prices change dealer to dealer. When I bought mine, my 3 closest dealers were $14-2200 higher for the same tractor as the dealer 60 miles away. The offered free delivery so it was a easy deal for me.

/ 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget #9  
Ditto on looking at used tractors. I have a 2008 Montana 2844 which is made by LS. 28 hp, 4 cylinder diesel, hydrostatic transmission. Will lift 1500 lbs no problem with the FEL, 2500 lbs on the 3 point. Powers a 5' bush hog, 5' tiller and 7' snow plow without issue. LS gives a lot of bang for the buck. Give them a good look. I bought mine with 175 hours for $8000.

/ 10 acres of horse pasture - tractor size and budget #10  
Chances are you will be looking at used. The tractor will have to have sufficient mass to be stable with the round bales you use. HP, other than for rotary equipment is not important. Four wheel drive would be definetly be advantageous. HST or Shuttle shift would be the transmission to look for with live PTO.

So, it's shopping time. Keep looking till you find what you need. Don't get anxious. There is always another tractor tomorrow. Get familiar with the used market before a commitment.

Shopping is fun.