turbo or not

/ turbo or not #1  

4tillingdirt

Silver Member
Tractor
N/A
Looking for input on a NA vs turbo tractor. For example, I have been looking at TYM T454 and T554. I know there is a 9 HP difference between the 2, but would you take the simplicity of the 454 with no turbo over the more powerful 554?

/ turbo or not #2  
Depends on your needs. Do you need those 9hp for something? Unlike motor vehicles, adding HP to a tractor doesn't make it more fun. If for example your uses are primarily loader and box blade an extra 9hp won't do much as those operations are mostly limited by traction. OTOH if you want to run a large mower or some other PTO implement that needs power those 9hp may be important.

I love turbo cars but for tractors I prefer NA. The advantage to a turbo car is more power without a lot of additional weight. On tractors weight is good, not bad. So I'd rather get the power from a larger NA engine than a smaller one with a turbo. Turbo engines allow for much more tuning for power than NA. But while I've done that with cars I plan to keep my tractor stock or nearly so. There's not a lot of off the shelf stuff for tuning tractors such as ECU programmers so you're on your own there.

That said if the model that otherwise met my needs had a turbo, I'd probably be ok with it.

/ turbo or not
It is same size tractor just more HP. The turbo engine is 6 cu in smaller than the NA. I know turbos have been used on everything for years, but just thinking with all the emissions crap and a turbo on tops seems like simpler is better. On the other hand the turbo may be tuned like a lot of the newer cars - tons of torque down lower than NA can provide. Everything is too complicated - LOL.

/ turbo or not #4  
More cubic inches typically gives more torque on the bottom end...not something a turbo tends to do.
David from jax

/ turbo or not #5  
I asked this before: What is your altitude in PINNACLES, North Carolina?

Altitude should be a key determinant in your decision.

/ turbo or not #6  
Someone once said: There's no replacement for displacement.

I wonder if he was a turbo hater? :shocked:

/ turbo or not #7  
I would only go turbo if I was at high altitude. I'm not. So I didn't.

/ turbo or not #8  
I would only go turbo if I was at high altitude. I'm not. So I didn't.

+1 on this.
The main advantage of a turbo on a tractor would be high elevation operation.
A 40 hp tractor with a turbo will make 40 hp at sea level and 40 hp at 5000 feet.
Without a turbo it would only make around 30 hp.

/ turbo or not #9  
I asked this before: What is your altitude in PINNACLES, North Carolina?

Altitude should be a key determinant in your decision.

The elevation is about 1,000 ft. but can vary quite a bit nearby. Don't see the need for a turbo based on elevation.

/ turbo or not #10  
I think of all the factors involved in deciding to purchase a tractor;
" to turbo, or not to turbo," would be pretty far down on my list.

I don't feel it adds much complexity, but I'm sure it adds cost.
if you don't need the extra horsepower, just get the tractor without it.