In the market for my first tractor

/ In the market for my first tractor #1  

WV birdman

Tractor
None
Looking at something in a upper 40 HP 4 WD. I've been window shopping for weeks and burning the internet up. Wife and I bought 150 acres back in my home state of WV. Mostly hilly/mountainous terrain. Lots of road upkeep....probably 1/4 mile of dirt. Plowing old logging roads for food plots, small garden (acre or two) I'm going to have a small mill, so I'll need to be able to handle a log or two here and there. Needs to do a little of everything well. I've looked at the Kubota, JD, Kioti, Mahindra (thought they were supposed to be cheaper?!), Massey,......I'm thinking Kubota L4701 at this moment. Please chime in with your thoughts and what other brand tractors are truly comparable. Thank you

/ In the market for my first tractor #2  
Focus on tractor weight for your tasks, not horsepower. None of your iterated tasks include PTO-powered implements, which is where horsepower becomes relevant. The most common PTO powered implement is a Rotary Cutter of which Bush Hog is one brand.

Stability is the issue for hill work and FEL loads. Tractor weight is the most important factor in tractor stability. I suggest you need a tractor with a bare weight, as shown in tractor brochures, of 4,000 pounds. Also inquire whether or not rear wheel widths are adjustable. After tractor weight, the outside-to-outside wheel width is second most important factor in tractor stability.

Forget tractor brands until you refine your tasks further.

Is your road gravel or dirt? Stream(s) to cross? Center crown required for proper drainage?

What about snow removal?

How close are the various tractor distributors to your property?

Have you operated and performed upkeep on a tractor before?

Last edited:
   / In the market for my first tractor #3  
For about the same price as a L4701 you could get a MX4800 which is wider, has a stronger loader, and has cool looking big tires on the front. Might work better for you in the mountains of WV....

and don't forget to check out the new Yanmar YT347/359 while you're comparison shopping.

/ In the market for my first tractor #4  
For about the same price as a L4701 you could get a MX4800 which is wider, has a stronger loader, and has cool looking big tires on the front. Might work better for you in the mountains of WV....

Kubota MX Series (all) 4,000 pounds bare tractor weight. Rear wheel widths not adjustable.

/ In the market for my first tractor
Focus on tractor weight for your tasks, not horsepower. None of your iterated tasks include PTO-powered implements, which is where horsepower becomes relevant. The most common PTO powered implement is a Rotary Cutter of which Bush Hog is one brand.

Stability is the issue for hill work and FEL loads. Tractor weight is the most important factor in tractor stability. I suggest you need a tractor with a bare weight, as shown in tractor brochures, of 4,000 pounds. Also inquire whether or not rear wheel widths are adjustable. After tractor weight, the outside-to-outside wheel width is second most important factor in tractor stability.

Forget tractor brands until you refine your tasks further.

Is your road gravel or dirt? Stream(s) to cross? Center crown required for proper drainage?

What about snow removal?

How close are the various tractor distributors to your property?

Have you operated and performed upkeep on a tractor before?

1. Dirt but I'll add gravel as budget allows. I'll definitely need a box blade. The road rounds two ridge/points and rounds two draws/hollows that have small springs that run across it at times. Have to deal with that.

2. We definitely get snow but except for the increasingly rare winter storm, nothing that I can't handle with a loader bucket.

3. There's Branson, Kubota, JD and Massey within an hour. Mahindra with 1 1/2.

4. Light experience on a tractor and no maintenance, but I'm not a hipster moving to the holler to hug trees. :) I do all of my own mechanic work on my vehicles and have the tools to do what's needed or will get what I don't have.

So, forgetting brand or specific tractor, the implements I'll absolutely need are rotary cutter, loader, box blade? Could really use the backhoe but shew $$$$$ will have to wait.

Any input on any of that is appreciated as that's all guesswork on my part.

and don't forget to check out the new Yanmar YT347/359 while you're comparison shopping.

You're right about the MX4800. That's a no brainer when comparing the two. Honestly not sure how I missed that as the same package deal is available on the MX at the dealer page I've been all over

/ In the market for my first tractor #7  
1. Dirt but I'll add gravel as budget allows. I'll definitely need a box blade. The road rounds two ridge/points and rounds two draws/hollows that have small springs that run across it at times.

If you do not require a center crown for directing water runoff, a LAND PLANE GRADING SCRAPE (LPGS) may serve you better for road maintenance, especially gravel road maintenance. LPGS "recovers" gravel. Research LPGS, (standard) Box Blades and Rollover Box Blades.

2. We definitely get snow but except for the increasingly rare winter storm, nothing that I can't handle with a loader bucket. Good.

4. Light experience on a tractor and no maintenance but I do all of my own mechanic work on my vehicles and have the tools to do what's needed. Good.

So, forgetting brand or specific tractor, the implements I'll absolutely need are rotary cutter, loader, box blade? Could really use the backhoe but shew $$$$$ will have to wait. Add a Ratchet Rake bucket attachment to your short list.

You have 150 acres but have provided sparse detail about the land and your development plan for it. Expand on your intentions. Cattle? Cows? Hunting? a Crop or crops? Timber? Firewood? Ginseng cultivation? Pond(s)? Barn foundation? Fencing? Track? Horses?

All newbies want a Backhoe. With 150 acres you may have enough tasks to make a $8,000 Backhoe a worthwhile investment ~~ OR NOT. You can purchase a lot of TPH implements or a heavier tractor for $8,000. What tasks do you foresee for a Backhoe? The Backhoe has to be removed to access the Three Point Hitch. Three Point Hitch is the reason why tractors are designed as they are; most would consider TPH the tractor's key component, FEL second, rear/center drawbar third. Mounting and dismounting a Backhoe is not too tough but many do this evolution a few times, decide it is no fun and then leave the Backhoe permanently on or off, reducing the utility of the tractor.

LINKS (2) http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ratchet-rake-today-fel-bucket.html?highlight=

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...-today-fel-bucket.html?highlight=bucket+SPADE

Last edited:
You have 150 acres but have provided sparse detail about the land and your development plan for it. Expand on your intentions. Cattle? Cows? Hunting? a Crop or crops? Timber? Firewood? Ginseng cultivation? Pond(s)? Barn foundation? Fencing? Track? Horses?

*Crops but only an acre or so.
*Chickens, hogs likely, maybe a couple of beef cattle...hard to say what all we'll have until the time comes.
*Timber and firewood
*small barn but we will be building our own home/cottage. So many uses for a tractor there.
*pond
*hunting

The homestead, which is where most of the activities above will take place, is tucked down in a creek bottom. 2-3 acres.

Many grown up logging road that I'll be clearing and planting food plots along.

20170601_184333.jpg
FB_IMG_1497318854607.jpg

Dont have many pictures but this is the road I'm working with. Last fall and then a couple of weeks ago.

/ In the market for my first tractor #10  
You will most likely find that your tools for automotive work will be a little small, plan on a 3/4" socket set and larger open end and box wrenches.
I know it's such a unpleasant experience having to buy new tools:D