Buying Advice Used Kubota L4400

/ Used Kubota L4400 #1  

WanabeeFarmer

Tractor
MF 230
I'm planning to look at a used 2005 Kubota L4400DT this weekend. I'm new to tractors but this would replace my 1975 MF 230. From all of my reading on this site, and talking to a dealer, it appears I'm in need of a 4WD 40HP+ to get the weight I need for hauling material around the property (and other various tasks). I've considered buying new (I like the Kioti DK4510) but read some advice that indicated tractors last a long long time and are quite reliable, also that many people buy their first tractor new and their second tractor used because they get accustom to that fact.

So, I started looking at used tractors. This one is local to my property, they are asking $16K with FEL, bush hog, and scraper. All of which I would eventually acquire. The hood is dented from a fallen tree but is more cosmetic (they say you have to remove the gas cap to lift the hood, but that's the extent of the damage). My questions to all of you out there are:

1) Is this a reasonable price assuming it's in good running order. Seems like it sure saves me a lot of money over buying new.
2) What should I look for when I see the tractor.

Thank you for your help.

/ Used Kubota L4400 #2  
I've seen that machine on craigslist. Looks hammered from the pics. Hood is ruined. Headlights and grille are out. I feel like that is too much money for that machine.

It's obvious that it's been outside it's entire life.

Unless you are very confident that you can spot a problem machine, I would watch out for that one.

In my experience, someone who uses a machine to 'push down a tree' and causes so much damage could not be trusted to take care of it mechanically.

I predict you will find it bashed, battered, weathered, and in need of maintenance - with a few surprises (of the bad kind) thrown in.

But - since it's local to you, you don't have much to lose by taking a look at it. Might be pleasantly surprised. Let us know either way.

/ Used Kubota L4400 #3  
Sent you a PM.

/ Used Kubota L4400
Thank you bspeedy, both interesting prospects. Now I know it pays to ask and expand your search. Can you recommend Massey Ferguson or New Holland dealers between in the area who service and provide parts? Are we allowed to do that on TBN?

/ Used Kubota L4400 #6  
The best option for New Holland is Messicks (messicks.com). That is the source I use 90% of the time for my Ford (NH) 1700. I have used Old Stone Tractor in Anderson, SC and they are great to work with. There is another NH store in Greenville that I haven't used. The nice thing with NH is that you can get parts on-line and shipped to your door by just clicking a mouse.

Massey parts have to come from a dealer. I used a dealership in Sylva, NC. I think it was Western Carolina Lawn and Tractor. They are 100% accommodating and helpful. I just prefer to look at the parts diagrams myself and order. Kind of a negative for Massey, in my opinion. The 12-series are good tractors for sure. I've had a couple and they were built well.

I'm biased toward NH due to growing up with them. Between my dad and brother, we've owned 6 or so over the years. No trouble with any of them.

/ Used Kubota L4400 #7  
purchased a new L4400 4wd /fel in '06 for 19k. personally think esp from description that the unit is way overpriced. if the owner let the cosmetic condition get in such a state, what about scheduled maintenance. think that kind of $ would serve you better elsewhere. the 4400 is a reliable bare bones machine. i suggest to shop around in that hp range, should be plenty to choose from