Excavator by Net, Volvo

/ Excavator by Net, Volvo #1  

millsan1

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538 Cab, Volvo ECR40D Excavator
I have an older Takeuchi Excavator I bought last year, TB035, 7500 lbs. Good machine, but it is 25 years old and a PITA sometimes.

So I started looking at replacing it.

Found a 2016 Takeuchi TB230, 6500 lbs. 200 hours and $30K, which is about $10K off a new machine. Had it sent to the house for a demo and like it OK, but not lighting my socks on fire. Very tippy with the bucket to the side at full extension, even without any material.

Also came across a 2017 Volvo ECR40D, 8500 lbs, cab, AC, radio, etc. The place I contacted told me that they bought a **** ton of these exact machines and are looking to make deals. Quoted $46,000 with 24" bucket, 12" bucket and thumb.

Demoed that machine last night, and whee doggy, it is nice. Strong, stable, comfortable. All the check boxes, except that is way more than I wanted to spend. In an effort to disuade myself, I then reached out to another dealer to get a competitive quote. I figured they would show that I am not saving much and then I could talk myself out of buying the Volvo. $61,000 for the same machine.

Also got quotes for 7500 lb machines from Takeuchi and Cat. Both were Canopy models and both were more than the 8500 lb Volvo cab.

SO I guess I am gonna end up buying that machine.

/ Excavator by Net, Volvo #2  
I just bought a TB135 a couple weeks ago. 1200 hours with a full cab, thumb, two buckets. Need to replace a couple of pins, but otherwise in great shape. After using the cab machine a little bit, I'm sold on the cab. So nice to keep the mud and dust off of you as you dig.

I'm not surprised that the lighter machine underwhelmed you. It's all about weight.

I don't have a budget of 46 grand for an excavator. Mine cost less than half that. If you can afford it and can use it, why not? I plan to get a mower for mine and that will make it super handy for my use.

/ Excavator by Net, Volvo
I don't have $46K either, but I can swing $1,000 a month. I found a Volvo pricing tool online. The MSRP for this machine is $70K! That's a 35% discount. Seems reasonable to me, now.

My initial thoughts were to buy a gently used machine, but you never know what you are getting into.

This will be my one and only excavator, for the rest of my life, so the heck with it. I am not buying as a business, just for my personal use. I may try to get some little jobs here and there to defray costs, etc, but it is really for my use. I don't have kids, and have owned sports cars, boats, planes and other toys, so this is my midlife crisis toy.

/ Excavator by Net, Volvo #4  
I'm about ready for a midlife myself. Can't stand payments so I'll have to do it another way.

That is a huge savings.

I've had mostly good luck with gently used equipment that I check out carefully.

For personal use a new excavator should last your lifetime and still be like new if you keep in sheltered and maintained. Give us some pictures when you get it home.

Just waiting on final numbers and machine to be assembled. In the meantime, I have the demo unit here to use as I wish. Put in 1000ft of side slope trail in 2 hours the other night. I really like this machine a lot.

/ Excavator by Net, Volvo #6  
Sounds like your on the right path. Weight is big and cabs sure are nice. I don't mess with that OOS of stuff anymore. It's so much easier on you to sit in the a/c and out of the dirt. No more brown or black snot or dust turned to mud around the neck.

Congrats on the new machine, post pics when you get it

Brett

/ Excavator by Net, Volvo #7  
I don't have $46K either, but I can swing $1,000 a month. I found a Volvo pricing tool online. The MSRP for this machine is $70K! That's a 35% discount. Seems reasonable to me, now.

My initial thoughts were to buy a gently used machine, but you never know what you are getting into.

This will be my one and only excavator, for the rest of my life, so the heck with it. I am not buying as a business, just for my personal use. I may try to get some little jobs here and there to defray costs, etc, but it is really for my use. I don't have kids, and have owned sports cars, boats, planes and other toys, so this is my midlife crisis toy.

BUY IT! .....And don't look back!

BUY IT! .....And don't look back!

Cat and Takeuchi guys called me to discuss.

I told them 8500 lb machine, cab, a/c, thumb and 2 buckets.

Both said $60K.

Seems like a no brainer.

Sales guy hasn't called me in a couple days. That s fine, I am using his machine for free! I figured he would be pushing hard to close the deal by the end of month. Maybe he will. I sense a free radio in my future.

/ Excavator by Net, Volvo #9  
I bet he won't have to push too hard to make that sale. Pretty smoking deal!

Just got the quote, and he is throwing in the radio for free. Pretty sweet. He also suggest that they will deliver the unit next week, but that I can use their demo until then. Pulling the trigger in 3...2.....1......