best value lawn tractor..?

/ best value lawn tractor..? #1  

gerry100

Bronze Member
Our 12 yo(?) inherited "Yardman" is finally too much trouble and I'm too old to spend a hot summer day fixing a carburetor that broke a spring.

We mow about 2 acres with a few slight grades and are looking for a reliable lawn tractor to last us at least ten years. ( I've got a nice deck for my MF1010 but it would be way too big and cumbersome for the lawn we cut).

My first instinct is to grab a John Deere 125 from Home Depot because of JDs reputation but I'm a little concerned that this is their "toy" line and may not get the support/ attention of the serious Ag units.

Anyway, looking for inputs here on best brand to spend <$2k on?

Thanks

/ best value lawn tractor..? #2  
Our 12 yo(?) inherited "Yardman" is finally too much trouble and I'm too old to spend a hot summer day fixing a carburetor that broke a spring.

We mow about 2 acres with a few slight grades and are looking for a reliable lawn tractor to last us at least ten years. ( I've got a nice deck for my MF1010 but it would be way too big and cumbersome for the lawn we cut).

My first instinct is to grab a John Deere 125 from Home Depot because of JDs reputation but I'm a little concerned that this is their "toy" line and may not get the support/ attention of the serious Ag units.

Thanks
I have had a (big box store) John Deere LA 110 for ten years.
I mow about 3 acres, but only about ten, or fewer, times each year.
I consider the LA 110 machine to be a very good value for my use.
It is NOT a serious Ag unit, but it works just fine for me. Mine currently has less than 200 hours.
I have two larger REAL tractors if I need to pull something, or for other uses.
I paid just over $1200, with my veterans discount, back when I bought my LA 110 at Home Depot.

/ best value lawn tractor..? #3  
best value?

1) don't buy new, poor value to buy something only to have it loose value after taking possession
2) buy from private seller, you'll get better deal
3) buy best or very high quality once, usually means older, as saying goes they don't build them like they used to.
better to pay more at time of purchase and never buy again rather than buy another mower every 10 years.

I bought '76 wheel horse back in the early '90's, I doubt I spent more than $200 in maintenance in the approx 25 years I've owned it and I'll bet I could sell it tomorrow for more than what I bought it for. It still does its job every time I ask it to, I'm sure it'll last longer than me.
This is very definition of best value.

/ best value lawn tractor..? #4  

Thanks
If the only problem with the mower is the carburetor, just look for a new on on eBay. I've had good luck with this on weedeaters.

/ best value lawn tractor..? #5  
I've had 4 worry free years (so far) with my D110. All I've ever asked it to do is mow & mulch (broken up horse manure) and the odd time towing a yard cart with portable generator. The B&S engine has always started right away and other than greasing + 50hr oil changes, that's all I've really invested in it. I did change the blades to 'predator' after a couple of years, but that was due to initially "cleaning up" my property.

Mine was a dealership model though, as they're not available in our 'Box Stores".

/ best value lawn tractor..? #6  
Sears.com <<<I bought this Sears brand last year, around 2k, but now they gone out of busness might become hard to get dealer suport. Only have 100 hr. on it so I cant tell how dependable this will be.

I like the tight turns, like the not so loud motor, easy to get at oil change. It say's it has mow in reverse feature, but I lost the manual and I cant figure out how that works, if I push down the reverse petal, the engine stalls. I dont like when I get off the engine stalls, I rather have it so when I get off the mower, disengage the blades then get off, way it is now everytime I get off to move something, have to restart the motor, bull crap I tell you. Also I dont like the small cup holder either, I added to it so I can carry a real mans cup.

/ best value lawn tractor..? #7  
best value?

1) don't buy new, poor value to buy something only to have it loose value after taking possession
2) buy from private seller, you'll get better deal
3) buy best or very high quality once, usually means older, as saying goes they don't build them like they used to.
better to pay more at time of purchase and never buy again rather than buy another mower every 10 years.

I bought '76 wheel horse back in the early '90's, I doubt I spent more than $200 in maintenance in the approx 25 years I've owned it and I'll bet I could sell it tomorrow for more than what I bought it for. It still does its job every time I ask it to, I'm sure it'll last longer than me.
This is very definition of best value.

As I mentioned in my previous post,...... I currently use a big box John Deere LA 110
I also have a Sears 15HP (single cyl.) 42" rider (built by Roper) that my dad bought new in 1972.
I have painted it once, and replaced belts, etc.
It is 45 YEARS OLD, and still mows my lawn (2 ac.) at my summer cottage.
My dad paid $1050 for it in 1972.
I would guess that it has at least 1300 hours.

/ best value lawn tractor..? #8  
Be warned that the JD sold at the box stores are not always the same as the ones sold at a JD dealership.
I bought a Small JD zero turn mower 5 years ago at the local Home Depot because it was $200 less than the "same" unit at my local JD dealership. Within 2 seasons both spindles on the mower deck wore out and the bushings were shot. Blades cut angled and the noise level was huge. Took them off and to the dealership for replacement. Noticed immediately the the new spindle housings had actual grease fittings where the old ones did not. I asked the parts guy why the original housings had no grease fittings. He replied that I probably bought the mower at a box store!

/ best value lawn tractor..? #9  
Get a dealer version of things, even the low end stuff, dealer versions are usually fitted with at least a better deck.

I would stick with Husqvarna or JD on smaller mowers, stay away from MTD.

Husqvarna makes a lot of brands out there and is hard to beat on price.

/ best value lawn tractor..? #10  
I have a 2017 Husqvarna GT48DXLS. Bought at a dealer, not a box store. About $3,000. The mower rocks. Kawasaki engine, K66 transaxle, electric locking differential. Has side discharge with so much power you don't need a separate power flow unit to use a bagger.

Even if you paid $1,500 more for the Deere dealer model X380 mower, you still don't get a locking differential. I believe Deere omits the locking differential on the X3XX platform to push buyers to spend even more $$$ on the X5XX platform. My .02 cents anyway. Box store Deere models are lower quality than Deere models sold at dealers, same with Husqvarna.

Good luck with your choice. Much to choose from.