Advice on a older 50hp tractor

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #1  

jon1matt74

Tractor
John Deere
Just bought a 26 acre farm and we are looking for an older tractor around 50 hp. Main usage will be bush hogging, plowing, disking, and planting. I found a local Massey Ferguson 150 Diesel for $2k. Supposedly runs and drives. Owner said his son forced the hydraulics into gear and they are not working anymore. Might be able to get it a little cheaper because of that. It's a pretty old tractor, is it worth buying and fixing? Have a friend to help with the hydraulic repair. Or should I keep looking for something a little newer and more money. Any particular models I should keep an eye out for?
Thank You

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #2  
I'm not sure how you force hydraulics into gear but I'm not familiar with that particular tractor. Sounds like the tractor was abused. I'd keep looking.

Get on CL and another site, purplewave dot com. I'd find something you don't have to work on before you use it.

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #3  
Makes a big difference if you are in pricy California or inexpensive Alabama. Does it have/Do you need - a FEL? bucket?

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor
I live in TN and It doesn't have a loader. I could use one but it's not a deal breaker. The thing is, that we are building a house and spending lots money on construction and I would like to get a tractor fairly cheap under 10k. I was going to wait until the house is complete and buy something next year. Now this tractor became available from an elderly gentleman and for the money it sounds like a pretty good deal.

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #5  
Your going to miss hydraulics... just saying! They usually aren't cheap to fix on older model tractors.
The $10K budget will buy a pretty nice tractor.
My JD2555 is 70 hp and fit the description you are looking for. I paid about twice what the Massey is priced at, and mine has been running great for 10 years.
David from jax

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #6  
My Kubota dealer bills his mechanics time at $70 per hour, which is pretty cheap compared to the NE and West.

Pretty significant charge for dealer to pick up and return tractor too.

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #7  
You can pick up Fords any day w/ working hydro's & bucket w/ implements for under 5k all day long.

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #8  
You can pick up Fords any day w/ working hydro's & bucket w/ implements for under 5k all day long.

You want hydraulics. If they are broke, then figure 300 bucks minimum to fix them.

Live PTO is a plus. Means you can push clutch in and stop when you actually want to.

The old ford N series are neat but not practical. (I have one. A 47 2n) they are a little too fast for most work. High geared.

Something like a Ford 3000 series might fit the bill. A Massey Ferguson 135 is my next "want list" tractor but dearly beloved can't understand why we need three with a new Kubota in the garage.

Not trying to change your mind but that is a quite of bit of tractor. Going down to a 30-45 hp would buy a nice one with some room for more implements.

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #9  
I am a fan of old tractors, but sometimes an old bargain tractor turns out to be no bargain at all. Since you have a real need for something to get work done, you want something you can count on to be fairly reliable, not something you have to tinker with for a couple of hours every time you want to use it.

Don't know if that MF is/is not a good one for your use, but the cheap price and busted hydraulics do not speak favorably for it, so use caution. If you are a McGyver type of guy who can do heavy engine rebuilds with a Bic pen and tweezers, by all means indulge yourself, but if you're an average guy like me, find one that is in decent condition, even if you have to pay a little more upfront.

/ Advice on a older 50hp tractor #10  
For a house you need a reliable tractor with a loader. Otherwise, you'll come home from work and the limited amount of time you have to spend will be taken up trying to get it to run or work as intended in the 1950's. Old is a waste of time unless you have lots of free time and are willing to deal with old and inefficient technology. Think rotary dial and phone booths instead of a cell phone.