Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money?

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money? #1  

p0opstlnksal0t

Silver Member
Tractor
in the market
I have 5 acres of densely wooded rolling/sloping forest in southern Maine. I've been looking at 1980-2000 model garden thru compact sized tractors 18-30 hp 4x4's with FEL's and most good running condition units bring $8k-$15k. Ive seen a few industrial sized units like a late 70's Case 580c 2wd and a late 80's Massey 50E 4x4 with loader skid steer quick attach... these are within my price range and Im wondering if something like the 4x4 MF50E would be better for my uses?

Uses include heavy land clearing uses, tree/stump removal, rough site grading and finish grading for new structures, construction work for outbuilding work like concrete mixing and other uses, new trail making, brush cutting, finish mowing, snow blowing and plowing of about 1000+ feet of gravel roadway, trenching, rock/granite relocating, etc...

I only have 5 acres though so i feel like buying a big tractor like this is ridiculous on the other hand I would hate to buy a small 20hp and its not able to do simple functions like dragging out large trees from the forest. in a few years we plan to start trying to buy up properties around us though.

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money? #2  
If you plan to increase your holdings, I see nothing wrong with getting a full sized industrial TLB. It takes a long time to remove a stump with a CUT especially in rocky soil. If you can find a good used industrial backhoe within your price range, go for it. Later you can look at a small CUT if you need to do 3 PH type work like bush hogging.

The other option is to not buy anything right now and just rent a track type excavator in the 12-15 ton range to remove the trees and stumps that you want to get rid of. Get one with a hydraulic thumb so you can use it to pile the dug up trees and stumps. I wouldn't think you would need one more than about a week for 5 acres.

The one problem I have with renting is that you have no equipment afterward, all capital is gone, work gets done but you don't have any thing to show for your expenditure other than some work finished.

FOR ME, I prefer to have my money tied up in equipment that I could sell later for as much or more than I gave for it.

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money? #3  
The Massey 50E 4x4 is the type of tractor you need. With your stated uses, weight is your friend. I would pass over garden and small compact tractors, they will struggle doing jobs that a 6000 pound or heavier utility tractor can do with ease.

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money?
unfortunately renting may not be cost efficient since I will only be doing these projects on the weekends as I work mon-fri.

I was kind of thinking about an FEL equipped tractor with a 3pt PTO out back and adding a kelley B60-B70 down the road. but Ive read these backhoes are not even remotely comparable to an OEM adorned backhoe machine.

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money? #5  
Working weekends you want and expect to get things done.
Bigger is better as is the dependability of the equipment.
B. John

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money? #6  
I have 5 acres of densely wooded rolling/sloping forest in southern Maine. I've been looking at 1980-2000 model garden thru compact sized tractors 18-30 hp 4x4's with FEL's and most good running condition units bring $8k-$15k. Ive seen a few industrial sized units like a late 70's Case 580c 2wd and a late 80's Massey 50E 4x4 with loader skid steer quick attach... these are within my price range and Im wondering if something like the 4x4 MF50E would be better for my uses?

Uses include heavy land clearing uses, tree/stump removal, rough site grading and finish grading for new structures, construction work for outbuilding work like concrete mixing and other uses, new trail making, brush cutting, finish mowing, snow blowing and plowing of about 1000+ feet of gravel roadway, trenching, rock/granite relocating, etc...

I only have 5 acres though so i feel like buying a big tractor like this is ridiculous on the other hand I would hate to buy a small 20hp and its not able to do simple functions like dragging out large trees from the forest. in a few years we plan to start trying to buy up properties around us though.

You can find large Ag tractors with loaders and 3pts at the high end of your budget. You can also find older industrial TLBs in that range. Probably 2wd, but that is OK in a big machine. Either one will do what you want. These old machines are super durable. The thing to do is to check that all the systems are working on whatever you are looking at. And get power steering! You'll probably find that to nobody's surprise that the machine still works in all ways that count - it's just worn nearly out in all respects too.... and the truth is that there isn't any market for one that is that old and that used. Once the word gets out, you will have your choice.
Keep in mind that for the use you want it for it will last you for years and years. Expect that it will have between 5K and 10K hours.
This is only true for the big 'ol machines - say 50 hp and up and outdated. Even garden tractors go for more; and compact tractors go for lots more.
rScotty

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money? #7  
You can find large Ag tractors with loaders and 3pts at the high end of your budget. You can also find older industrial TLBs in that range. Probably 2wd, but that is OK in a big machine. Either one will do what you want. These old machines are super durable. The thing to do is to check that all the systems are working on whatever you are looking at. And get power steering! You'll probably find that to nobody's surprise that the machine still works in all ways that count - it's just worn nearly out in all respects too.... and the truth is that there isn't any market for one that is that old and that used. Once the word gets out, you will have your choice.
Keep in mind that for the use you want it for it will last you for years and years. Expect that it will have between 5K and 10K hours.
This is only true for the big 'ol machines - say 50 hp and up and outdated. Even garden tractors go for more; and compact tractors go for lots more.
rScotty

EXCELLENT ADVICE !!!!
BUT BE CAREFUL!
GET ADVICE FROM AN EXPERT, ON THE CONDITION OF A PARTICULAR OLD MACHINE!
REPAIRS CAN TEAR A HUGE HOLE IN YOUR WALLET!

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money? #8  
I'd shoot for a 30 hp tractor 4x4 fel and rent the backhoe/stump removal out or hire someone. A tow behind backhoe is also something you can add later as you need it.
If you have the means buy bigger, but 30hp is the smallest I would go for.
Good luck.

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money?
should i rule out any of the big 2wd units? I'm scared i might not get the traction i need in mud or in the sloping trails of the property especially when the driveway is caked in ice and snow. will the heavy weight and adding chains to a big industrial 2wd unit be sufficient?

/ Biggest cheap tractor I can find for the money? #10  
I got my 580K for just what you are talking about. It served me well but it was not that old and it wasn't that cheap. But in the grand scheme of things when building a house it really didn't add anything to the price of building since I had it at a moment's notice. When they get older businesses get rid of them because it starts taking plenty of money to keep them running. If you're OK with doing work yourself then you should be fine. Things like hoses get old and will burst, tires dry rot and need replacing.

For example my 580K has a small inline fuel filter along with a large screw on filter and a screw on water separator. The small inline filter was occasionally rubbing on the engine block and it had worn a hole in it. It didn't leak any fuel since it was before the fuel pump and a small hole but it allowed air to get into the fuel line. At first it just made starting when warm hard. But like everything that doesn't get repaired it got worse making it all but impossible to start when warm. Of course it happened while I was busy building the house so time was at a premium. It was a less than $10 fix but it took some time to find. If I had to pay someone it would of meant getting to and from a shop then however long it would have taken the mechanic to find it.

As for a heavy unit on steeper hills, I don't use my 580K on anything slippery. It's a lot of weight and gravity has a way of showing you who's in charge. You only have rear brakes and chains work well on ice but snow can pack up under the chain while trying to brake causing it to skid. While I can get through mud I can't do anything else. I have to use the loader to push my way backward and the backhoe to push myself forward. The extra weight in the fel makes it almost impossible to do. I would stick with 4wd unless you are on mostly flat ground.

I dug up all my stumps and put them in the corner of the property (I have over 40 acres). For you I would recommend grinding over digging. No stumps to deal with afterwards and you can do it with a 35 to 45hp tractor. A CUT will go through the woods much easier than an industrial TLB. Add a logging winch and you'll be surprised just what one will accomplish. My Kubota will easily skid a 2' diameter 50' long red maple log.