Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    1952 Ford 8n

Default Re: Best first tractor?

Quote Originally Posted by clevalley View Post
    Ha! You are literally right up the road from me! My in-laws and uncle are in Hume - we are in Flint Hill.
    Ha, you might meet me and the lady one night at the Griffin Pub, our favorite place!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3550

Quote Originally Posted by bmbvideo View Post
    Okay, so I know nothing about tractors. Never owned one, never used one. My wife and I now own 10+ acres, and want to get our first tractor. We've been mowing about 2 acres of it with a regular lawn mower, and letting the rest go - so it's time for something more.

Our requirements are:
    - 8 or so acres are open field. I'd like to mow about 2 acres weekly, and somehow keep the rest down - maybe bush hog every few weeks?
    - We have a number of limestone outcroppings hiding in the field. So I don't want to bust up whatever I use by going over rocks. I'll try to avoid them as much as possible, but it is inevitable that some will be hiding behind tall grass and will go under the tractor here and there.
    - I'd like to be able to scoop up dirt, and move loads of it around (we've got some holes I intend to fill with some fill dirt, etc)

So based on that... I think the attachments I need are a bush hog, mowing deck, and bucket of some kind? But even those have so many brands and options... Which should I go for?

We obviously want something affordable, low maintenance (so likely new), and easy to use since this is our first and we'll be learning as we go.

The John Deere 1 Family looks interesting... Would that work for us? The 2 family also looks nice, but is double the price, and my inexperienced-ness I can't see any difference between the two? And why is the 3 Family cheaper than the 2 Family, if it is a higher model?

Help please!!
    I would consider going larger than you think you might need right now. I would also plan on test driving a few of them, to see how they fit you. Check out the Mahindra 1526. It's a lot of tractor for the money - but compare a few brands and dealers to make sure you get something that works for you. Also, most of the time the dealer is more important than the brand.

Tractor
    N/A

Thanks, everyone. Very great advice!!

Was impressed to see some folks from my neck of the woods, and hear from their experience, knowing they understand the type of terrain I'm up against.

Sounds like the consensus is all the brands are well made, and it's more important to find a good dealer than anything. Also better to skip the subcompact size, and go with something bigger like a compact with around 30 HP, and in 4wd for my area and specified needs. I like the idea of marking off the areas with limestone outcropings. And I also like the idea of using the tractor on the field, and mowing the "yard" area with my exisiting lawn tractor.

My wife and I visited a John Deere dealer locally tonight. May be looking at the John Deere 2R or 3E series. However I am going to check out all the other brands you guys mentioned as well to see how they compare, and read some reviews... Keep the advice coming! I am in no hury and want to make sure I make the right decision.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    1952 Ford 8n

Default Best first tractor?

Also, don't be overly worried about hitting rocks in your field. It happens to all of us. Once you get your tractor, spend the time removing as many rocks as you can with the loader, but know that you will always hit something with your bush hog. They're made tough with blades that deflect off impacts. I pulverized a few limestone rocks with my bush hog just last week.

Bush Hog is a brand of rotary cutter but also a colloquial name for them. Cecil's in Warrenton sells Bush Hog brand implements as well as a good selection of Stihl and Husqvarna brand chain saws. I recommend buying your saws from a dealer instead of the big box stores because they can repair them if they ever break in the future.
    Last edited by Tractorable; 07-26-2017 at 03:06 AM.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Replacement Mahindra - Coming Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorable View Post
    Ha, you might meet me and the lady one night at the Griffin Pub, our favorite place!
    We have been there a couple of times - GREAT place! We are less than 5 minutes from there off of Crest Hill Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by bmbvideo View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Very great advice!!

Was impressed to see some folks from my neck of the woods, and hear from their experience, knowing they understand the type of terrain I'm up against.

Sounds like the consensus is all the brands are well made, and it's more important to find a good dealer than anything. Also better to skip the subcompact size, and go with something bigger like a compact with around 30 HP, and in 4wd for my area and specified needs. I like the idea of marking off the areas with limestone outcropings. And I also like the idea of using the tractor on the field, and mowing the "yard" area with my exisiting lawn tractor.

My wife and I visited a John Deere dealer locally tonight. May be looking at the John Deere 2R or 3E series. However I am going to check out all the other brands you guys mentioned as well to see how they compare, and read some reviews... Keep the advice coming! I am in no hury and want to make sure I make the right decision.
    If I was going with JD and had the choice between the 2R and 3E it would definitely be the 3E series. I had a 2320 JD and it was a little monster, I pushed that tractor for all it was worth on our other homes prior to where we are now. They were 3 and 5 acres. That 24 horse tractor was just enough for the 5 acres, 3 1/2 was a horse field. I could just get a 800lb round bale off the ground to move it but it was sketchy to say the least. That tractor served me well but I knew we were getting more property and was unsure of the size. We knew a minimum of 10 acres but wanted to more than 20 - today we are on 65 (40 open) and are trying the place out before we decide to buy. Knowing what I was going to do with the tractor (horse work year round) I knew I wanted a cab and opted for the 2555 (55 HP Mahindra). I took delivery of it on our 5 acre parcel and the neighbors were like WTH?!?! LOL

We are looking at a turn key 10 acre horse property in Washington Va and even though 55 HP is overkill there is nothing I will not be able to do with it. I cannot think of one instance where I thought 'man, I wish I had less tractor'

When you go to buy your cutter I would stick with a medium duty or heavy duty for the Virginia Piedmont area. I run a 7' Heavy Duty and have pulverized rocks when I am cutting low and the skids of the cutter pulls a rock up... usually I dust the rock. If I was in a standard/light duty I would have murdered the cutter.

Watch your PTO rating of the tractor when you go to match up your cutter. I would get in my mind what size cutter you want and its PTO requirement (usually a range) and use that as a gauge for your tractor. If I was on 10 acres and starting off I would get at least 6'.

For example; if the cutter you want has a PTO requirement of 20 - 50 HP I would get a tractor with a minimum of 30 HP at the PTO. Brands of rotary cutters in our area which are prevalent are Bush Hog, Woods, Kodiak (Mahindra uses Kodiak) and all are solid units. They all come in standard/medium/heavy duty and the PTO requirements. I remember seeing issues of the JD MX Series gear box but cannot remember if it was a specific range of year or if it was a certain size of cutter - just do some research. Your dealer will match up the correct size rotary cutter to your tractor, but insist on at least a medium duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorable View Post
    Also, don't be overly worried about hitting rocks in your field. It happens to all of us. Once you get your tractor, spend the time removing as many rocks as you can with the loader, but know that you will always hit something with your bush hog. They're made tough with blades that deflect off impacts. I pulverized a few limestone rocks with my bush hog just last week.

Bush Hog is a brand of rotary cutter but also a colloquial name for them. Cecil's in Warrenton sells Bush Hog brand implements as well as a good selection of Stihl and Husqvarna brand chain saws. I recommend buying your saws from a dealer instead of the big box stores because they can repair them if they ever break in the future.
    Good advice on buying your saw from a shop/dealer instead of a big box store. I have all Stihl for my saws and blowers and everyone of them have come from a Stihl shop. My only bastard unit I have is my string trimmer and that is a John Deere model which at the time had a better warranty for the power head than the Stihl. It is getting a bit old these days and when it comes time for replacement I will simply give Cecil a visit and say 'give me this one'

The thing I like about Cecil Tractors; when my tractor was in for repair the first time I called my salesman and said I needed a cutter. Once we decided on which one I told him I will be down to pay for it or give him my card over the phone. The salesman said don't worry about it, just pay for it next time you are over in the area - we know where you live! LOL Tractor was delivered with the cutter attached and I swung by the shop a week or two later and settled my bill... and I don't have a running account with them, but again I did plunk down cash for the tractor I bought and got to know the staff from coming in there looking at stuff.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40

You have received lots of good advice so far. When I was shopping for my first tractor I was looking at mostly 30 HP ones. I ended up getting a 40 HP. I do not regret that decision one bit. If you are planning on moving dirt you want something with substantial torque and power. Also, a 4in1 bucket will come in very handy for that task. There is nothing wrong with some of the smaller tractors out there today. They are all nice machines, but I am in the buy bigger than you think you need category. I am also in the category of getting a premium tractor vs economy tractor. You will spend more money up front but in the long term it will not matter. Most premium tractors in the same size weigh more and have higher lifting capacities on the loader and 3pt. Whatever you decide to do, get the bush hog with the tractor at time of purchase and then start adding the other implements as time and money permits. As always, it boils down to how much money you want or can afford to spend. All new tractors are expensive in this day and time.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4110

For mowing, I would recommend a flail mower. It will use a little less HP than a bush hog, and it would be an issue running over those limestone outcropping you mention. If a bush hog hits a rock it will pitch it like major league pitcher looking for a contract. The flail mower will give you a nicer finish, but not as nice as a finish mower.

If you're doing anything more than just mowing, you won't be satisfied with anything under 30Hp.

Talk to your neighbors and find out which local dealer has the best service/integrity. Otherwise all the tractor brands are pretty comparable. If you're in a warranty issue, a good dealer that goes to bat for you will be worth a load more than saving 2K on a tractor elsewhere.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3016

Sub compact isn't gonna do ya. 10 acres of mowing is calling for something larger. At least in the 2500-5000lb category before front end loader. 28-60 hp depending on how wide a swath you wish to take with your mower. You can go flail but they're way slower and much more cabbage for the larger ones.. In your shoes, I'd get the widest brush hog I can get or at least an 8 footer. Cutting the grass will be a novelty at first. After 50 times, you're gonna wish for a larger and larger mower.
    Now I'm gonna tell you to forget the tractor. Shop a dealer. Ask around for a good one. Buy the thing as close to home as possible. Doesn't mean a lick as to which brand as they all gonna do what you want. Picking a "color" you like is just as valid. Oh and if you're gonna cut your lawn, get the thing with turf tires. They'll do just fine for what you're describing. If not, industrials are sufficient.

Tractor
    N/A

So looking at local dealers, we've got two that I know people speak highly of - one a kubota and the other a John Deere. We also have a New Holland dealer a little farther out, and I haven't heard much on them yet. Those are about all of our local options.

When I checked with the local John Deere dealer, they have the 3025E tractor and loader on sale for $15,250, and their entry level 2 family tractor, the 2032R tractor with a 62D mower deck and loader is $22,499.

The question I keep wondering is... why do I keep seeing the 2 family listed at higher prices that the 3 family? I thought the 3 was supposed to be bigger and better? Does the 2 family have more bells and whistles? I feel like I'm missing something here. I know the 2 listed above is 32 HP, vs 25HP on the 3, but still... The more comparable 3032E (32 HP) on JohnDeere.com is listed at $19k. Thoughts?

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DS4110

Both are good brands. Go with whichever gives you the best bang for your buck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast