Need a BARN

/ Need a BARN #1  

bildo

Tractor
2005 Bobcat S250 Highflow/turbo....looking to get a tractor sometime soon too
I live north of Columbus Ohio and am looking to build a barn but i am looking to see what everyones opinions are of Big Box Builders(Menards, Holmes, etc...) also any recommendations on area builders who do good work at reasonable prices. Thinking 36x40 or larger but debating on doing a tie-in 2 different sizes one with extra tall ceilings 16feet or higher. Any thoughts out there on the big box quality? :confused:

/ Need a BARN #2  
I am also in the market. Looking at prefab steel buildings. But I don't know anyone who has one so unsure of the build quality. B.

/ Need a BARN #3  
From a big box store it will all depend on the subcontractor they use. Ask and see if they use one specific builder.

/ Need a BARN #4  
There are a lot of Amish crews who build barns in the Ohio/Michigan areas.That might be a option? Please keep in mind ALL amish folks are NOT great builders just because they are amish.Try to check references.

/ Need a BARN #5  
I looked at the Menard's buildings and was fairly impressed but elected to go steel frame because it was going to be a lot more than a barn. The Menard's framing is all put together near me int eh NW corner of Ohio. Another one to try is Mchiana Bulding Supply out of the Kalamazoo area. They do put together a very nice building at a reasonable price but they may not have erectors in your area.

/ Need a BARN #6  
Is building it yourself out of the question?

Many here on TBN have built their own and have very nice barns.

/ Need a BARN #7  
I built my own (30x40 with 10' sidewall) last summer and pieced it together. I did look at Menards and the big box stores but decided to design my own and piece it together. Im glad I didn't go with a kit as they seem pretty cheap. They often space their trusses at 8' c/c and use 2x4's for girts and purlins. I traded for some 2x10's I used for girts and spaced the trusses at 4' c/c with 2x6 purlins and 26 ga. roofing. I also used mostly screws including some impressive Simpson screws for the roof purlins. I bought my tin through a local lumberyard that sold this brand.....

Panel-Loc Plus - Central States Mfg, Inc.

I think by piecing it together I ended up with a much better building than I would have if I bought a kit and banged it together with an air nailer. I did buy an overhead door from Menards along with some columns. I ended up with about 7 or 8 grand in materials.

Barn.JPG

/ Need a BARN #8  
I live north of Columbus Ohio and am looking to build a barn but i am looking to see what everyones opinions are of Big Box Builders(Menards, Holmes, etc...) also any recommendations on area builders who do good work at reasonable prices. Thinking 36x40 or larger but debating on doing a tie-in 2 different sizes one with extra tall ceilings 16feet or higher. Any thoughts out there on the big box quality? :confused:

Contact these guys... Quality Horse Barns, Sheds, Garages and Chicken Coops | Horizon Structures
They have teams that travel all over the East...for those that want on-site buildings constructed...

They came up to Vermont and built my 140x70 Arena (small dressage arena dimensions are 20m x 40m (66' x 132')
IMG00090-20100628-1735.jpgIMG00127-20100630-1734.jpg
You can see the complete construction here...
http://www.mytractorforum.com/88-my-place/160290-new-arena.html

/ Need a BARN #9  
You may want to give these guys a call. They are Amish, and are coming here the 3rd week of Sept. to construct a 30'X60'X12', 3 sided machinery storage building for me. There will be no OH doors, or entry doors, so that makes the price a lot less, but they gave me a price that was $6,000.00 less, than another local contractor, who is normally less than others. Material cost was about the same, labor was the big difference. The way these guys hustle, I'd imagine it will be up in 3 days, where the other would be a week or so. This same contractor put up a horse barn for one for a buddy of mine in out local horse club, and a lean-to on another buddy's existing barn for their new motor home. Both say they did a very good job.

After getting some shoddy work for the last two buildings put up, I went a little further asking this contractor how he constructed buildings. All his answers were to my liking.

I do know there are some Amish builders out Plain City way, so you might check locally for some names. And, you can usually see new pole barns going up here, and there. Stop in and ask the owner if you can have a look, and ask questions.

Dad had some Amish build him a new 30X40X10 here back in the early 90's. He did put up his own OH doors to save some money. They were here at 7:00 am, and left at 1:00 pm, with the building being done. And stopped 45 minutes for lunch. They did a very good job, and put extra features in, that others didn't. It's still water tight to this day. I would have gotten a price from them, but they have since moved down around Peebles, and just too far away.

Do expect a good builder to be booked up 2 months ahead, as these guys are. That should tell you something right there. how good of work they do.

[FIG]516891[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Hill Top Carpentry.jpg
    Hill Top Carpentry.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 159
   / Need a BARN #10  
I built my own (30x40 with 10' sidewall) last summer and pieced it together. I did look at Menards and the big box stores but decided to design my own and piece it together. Im glad I didn't go with a kit as they seem pretty cheap. They often space their trusses at 8' c/c and use 2x4's for girts and purlins. I traded for some 2x10's I used for girts and spaced the trusses at 4' c/c with 2x6 purlins and 26 ga. roofing. I also used mostly screws including some impressive Simpson screws for the roof purlins. I bought my tin through a local lumberyard that sold this brand.....

Panel-Loc Plus - Central States Mfg, Inc.

I think by piecing it together I ended up with a much better building than I would have if I bought a kit and banged it together with an air nailer. I did buy an overhead door from Menards along with some columns. I ended up with about 7 or 8 grand in materials.

View attachment 516887

Thanks for posting a picture of your barn. It proves my point that we can build very nice buildings on our own.
Here's mine.

20170429_105738.jpg