HST vs Manual trans

/ HST vs Manual trans #1  

bckskin2

Tractor
New Holland TC30
I am looking at new tractors and so many of them have the HST transmission. I use my loader to move snow, dirt, and sometimes gravel would the HST do the job. I have used manual Transmissions for years. I occasionally mow with the tractor, but not often

/ HST vs Manual trans #2  
My Kubota L3400 has the HST. I love it, especially for loader work, except for the "whine" which is just part of the deal.

/ HST vs Manual trans #3  
HST is ideal. You can quickly reverse and you can vary the ground speed while keeping the engine speed high for the hydraulics.

/ HST vs Manual trans #4  
Love my two HST tractors. For doing loader work ,i wouldn't want anything else. Of course, if all you're doing is loader work, you might consider a skid steer.

/ HST vs Manual trans #6  
HST to for loader hands down...easier on the clutch and quicker,just pick the right range and don't bog transmission and motor down.

/ HST vs Manual trans #7  
HST is easier for "everything"that a home-owner/hobby farmer would ever do.I manage my 100 acres with an HST;that includes dirt plowing,snow plowing,roto-tilling,bush-hogging ect.
My son has a small gear driven,open station tractor that he uses mostly for wood gathering and bush-hogging.
You may give up a little power to the HST but over-all it has served me well.

/ HST vs Manual trans #8  
I have one of each (HST and gear) and my go to is the much smaller HST tractor. I love not having to clutch and shift to reverse. The gear is OK for mowing but I think HST would be good also and much easier to reduce speed while keeping the engine RPM steady when hitting tough spots.
For hobby farming and general homestead maintenance, it is HST all the way.

/ HST vs Manual trans #9  
Unless you have a reason to not want HST, I think it's more all around versatile with few downsides. For repetitive front loader work it's hard to beat and so much more productive than a gear transmission.

/ HST vs Manual trans #10  
On the opposite end of things, I like a manual shuttle for most everything. Most, 'cuz I have a PTO stump grinder that uses the tractor motion to drag it across stumps. That is tedious with a clutch! So I usually "roll the bucket" to pull the tractor forward (unless the stump is on a slope, for which I just ride the brake.) But that's the one and only thing, so far, in 150 hours of "tractoring" with shuttle, and I may make a one-wheel driver to go on the SSQA mount to pull it along, if I find I'm using it more than I thought.
In the last couple of weeks I've moved about 30 yards of topsoil, and 20 tons of sand and gravel, using the FEL. I don't even think about the clutch, and shifting the shuttle, I just do it! No problem. Also, it's nice to, say, drag a sub-soiler without doing anything but steering. More power at the PTO for a given engine, as well. I've used a box scraper and a finish mower, no complexities whatever.
I'd imagine that I can fix anything that goes wrong with my manual transmission (but it's likely that nothing will go wrong). I don't know about an HST, certainly it would be more costly.
And it's cheaper with a shuttle—you can spend less money on a tractor, or get more tractor for the money. Finally, you can build up your left leg muscles! (Actually, I did feel it a little after a day's dirt moving, but got used to it quickly.)

Last edited: