Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30

Default HST vs Manual trans

I am looking at new tractors and so many of them have the HST transmission. I use my loader to move snow, dirt, and sometimes gravel would the HST do the job. I have used manual Transmissions for years. I occasionally mow with the tractor, but not often

Tractor
    Kubota L3400 HST

Default Re: HST vs Manual trans

My kubota L3400 has the HST. I love it, especially for loader work, except for the "whine" which is just part of the deal.
    L3400 HST FEL & backhoe

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." Charlton Heston

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

HST is ideal. You can quickly reverse and you can vary the ground speed while keeping the engine speed high for the hydraulics.

Tractor
    Kubota mx4700 HST, New Holland TC-29D

Love my two HST tractors. For doing loader work ,i wouldn't want anything else. Of course, if all you're doing is loader work, you might consider a skid steer.
    Kubota mx4700, New Holland TC-29D

Mostly I grow vegetables. I get to make firewood too, but not as much as I'd like. And if I'm really lucky, I get to make some maple syrup.

Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

LINK TO T-B-N ARCHIVE; HST VERSUS GEAR: hst vs gear transmission - Google Search

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046 & Craftman T2200 lawn mower.

HST to for loader hands down...easier on the clutch and quicker,just pick the right range and don't bog transmission and motor down.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

HST is easier for "everything"that a home-owner/hobby farmer would ever do.I manage my 100 acres with an HST;that includes dirt plowing,snow plowing,roto-tilling,bush-hogging ect.
    My son has a small gear driven,open station tractor that he uses mostly for wood gathering and bush-hogging.
    You may give up a little power to the HST but over-all it has served me well.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I have one of each (HST and gear) and my go to is the much smaller HST tractor. I love not having to clutch and shift to reverse. The gear is OK for mowing but I think HST would be good also and much easier to reduce speed while keeping the engine RPM steady when hitting tough spots.
    For hobby farming and general homestead maintenance, it is HST all the way.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200 Deere X380 Kubota RTV-X

Unless you have a reason to not want HST, I think it's more all around versatile with few downsides. For repetitive front loader work it's hard to beat and so much more productive than a gear transmission.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2540

On the opposite end of things, I like a manual shuttle for most everything. Most, 'cuz I have a PTO stump grinder that uses the tractor motion to drag it across stumps. That is tedious with a clutch! So I usually "roll the bucket" to pull the tractor forward (unless the stump is on a slope, for which I just ride the brake.) But that's the one and only thing, so far, in 150 hours of "tractoring" with shuttle, and I may make a one-wheel driver to go on the SSQA mount to pull it along, if I find I'm using it more than I thought.
    In the last couple of weeks I've moved about 30 yards of topsoil, and 20 tons of sand and gravel, using the FEL. I don't even think about the clutch, and shifting the shuttle, I just do it! No problem. Also, it's nice to, say, drag a sub-soiler without doing anything but steering. More power at the PTO for a given engine, as well. I've used a box scraper and a finish mower, no complexities whatever.
    I'd imagine that I can fix anything that goes wrong with my manual transmission (but it's likely that nothing will go wrong). I don't know about an HST, certainly it would be more costly.
    And it's cheaper with a shuttle—you can spend less money on a tractor, or get more tractor for the money. Finally, you can build up your left leg muscles! (Actually, I did feel it a little after a day's dirt moving, but got used to it quickly.)
    Last edited by CincyFlyer; 08-13-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast