Buying Advice First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere

/ First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere #1  

derekn

Tractor
Kubota L3901, BCS 739
I'm looking to buy my first tractor. I've got about 10 acres that needs to be mowed at least once a year (for fire prevention), and I'll probably end up doing at least part of it more often than that. From talking to local friends (and the guy I've been paying to mow it the last couple years), I'm planning to go with a flail. I've also got a bunch of miscellaneous utility work that will make good use of a loader. And in the long run, I'll probably want a tiller and/or disc harrow. And maybe a post hole auger. And probably lots of other things I haven't even thought of :)

Multiple people have told me that harvest lease returns are the best way to go.

Anyway, I talked to two local dealers -- one handles Kubota and New Holland, the other is John Deere. Here's what they ended up quoting me:

Kubota L3901 (30.6 PTO hp), 4WD, HST
  • lease return (100-150 hrs)
  • Kubota LA525 loader, 66" bucket
  • Landpride FM2172 72" flail mower
  • third function valve kit

John Deere 4105 (32.5 PTO hp), 4WD, HST
  • new
  • John Deere H165 loader, 73" bucket
  • Braber EFCG175F 68" flail mower

I mentioned that one of my friends has a 4-in-1 bucket that he loves, and the Kubota dealer suggested that I might prefer a grapple (so that's another potential future purchase). The third function valve kit requires installation at the dealer, so he added that into the quote. I forgot to ask the Deere dealer about that.

The prices are really close (the Deere is $700 more) - they're both within my budget.

The Kubota has a 3-range HST, the Deere is 2-range. Some of the comments here suggest that 3 ranges comes in really handy.

The Deere doesn't have a fold-down ROPS, but I have a 10' door, so I don't think that matters.

The Deere is obviously a little more powerful. Looking through catalogs, it seems like the implements I might want to buy tend to require 25+ hp at the PTO, so I'm thinking 30 hp will be fine.

The Deere has an older diesel engine without the filtration stuff, which I guess is a good thing? Then again, getting a less polluting engine also seems like a good idea.

I'm leaning toward the Kubota. I felt like the John Deere dealer was pushing me toward equipment he wanted to get rid of (only two 4105s left on the lot, and then they're gone! great deal on this Braber flail!), while the Kubota dealer quoted exactly what I asked for (lease return).

Should I go with my gut feel here, or is there some reason to prefer the Deere?

/ First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere #2  
I've had very good luck with my L3800 Kubota lease return...

Have you been able to spend any seat time in either?

/ First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere #3  
Kubota. The L3901 is kind of bare bones. Have you considered the L4701, MX4800, or a Grand L?

/ First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere
Have you been able to spend any seat time in either?

No, I haven't. To be honest, I wouldn't really know what to look for. I'm completely new to the tractor game.

I've spent a little time on the neighbor's tractor, and on another friend's tractor, but that's it. This will be a learning experience for me.

/ First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere
The L3901 is kind of bare bones. Have you considered the L4701, MX4800, or a Grand L?

I'm not sure I want to move up to something more expensive. Can you expand on what you mean by "bare bones"? What is the L3901 missing?

/ First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere #6  
With ten acres you may find traveling your property with a two-speed HST very tedious.

Last edited:
   / First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere #7  
No, I haven't. To be honest, I wouldn't really know what to look for. I'm completely new to the tractor game.

I've spent a little time on the neighbor's tractor, and on another friend's tractor, but that's it. This will be a learning experience for me.

The operating station on standard L tractors is a little tight for men six feet tall and taller, especially if you will spend a lot of hours in the seat. Go "try one on." You do not need any prior experience to know if it is comfortable to you.

Kubota standard L tractors are high sales volume Kubota models. Not real heavy but reliable and adequate for ten acres as a first tractor.

Kubota MX is the next heavier model after the standard L. MX is spartan.

Four cylinder "Grand L's" share the same heavy chassis with MX series but come with every option standard.
Dream tractors.....but you have to pay.....

MX and all Grand L's have spacious operating stations.

WE EXCEL AT SPENDING YOUR MONEY HERE.

Last edited:
   / First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere #8  
Here's a couple good videos reviewing the L and the MX series.
Both are Messick's Equipment videos which are pretty good.

L... Kubota Standard L-Series. L251 L331 L391 L471 features and operation. - YouTube
MX... Kubota MX series walk around and features by Messicks. | MX48 MX52 MX58 - YouTube

I picked up a B3030 used, which fits my needs. At the time the "30" series was an "upgraded" 4 cylinder series with things like adjustable 3 point arms, tilt wheel, upgraded seat and nicer operator station. Are they necessary, no, but they are nice to have. You can expect to pay a fair bit more to upgrade to a Grand L4046 over a L3901. As others have mentioned you'll just need to park your butt in a few and see what you can and can't live without.

Good Luck!

/ First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere #9  
The operating station on standard L tractors is a little tight for men six feet tall and taller, especially if you will spend a lot of hours in the seat. Go "try one on." You do not need any prior experience to know if it is comfortable to you.

Kubota standard L tractors are high volume Kubota models. Not real heavy but reliable and adequate for ten acres as a first tractor.

Kubota MX is the next heavier model after the standard L. MX is spartan. Four cylinder Grand L's share the same heavy chassis as MX series but come with every option standard. Dream tractors.....but you have to pay.....

MX and all Grand L's have a very spacious operating station.

WE EXCEL AT SPENDING YOUR MONEY HERE.

Yes, the L's are a bit short on leg room, simple to modify. I had to move my seat back from farthest factory adjustment another three inches to be comfortable. No big deal... 10 acres, an l3301 or 2501 might work for you. They are great little tractors.

/ First tractor - Kubtoa vs John Deere #10  
I would absolutely test drive. I am 6'7" so I have to try everything on. For me a kubota was cramped.

More important to me was the dealer. To the local kubota and deer guys I was not worth the time of day. That is how I ended up w a new holland.