Buying Advice 80-100 HP compact track loader

/ 80-100 HP compact track loader #1  
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 40, Cat D3
Hey all, I'm a Co-owner/Operator of a small business in South Ms with my Dad, Currently we have a D3 and a NH work master 40 with bush hog and front end loader, we're looking to upgrade equipment and the first thing is going to be a compact track loader to replace the tractor.

We want something that has the height and reach to be able to dump into the back of our dump truck (Mack Type R with a 12/14 Yard bed) so that puts us in the 80-100 HP range, our local dealers are Cat, New Holland, Kubota, and John Deere.
I'm currently getting information on Leasing from both Cat and Kubota, looking at the Kubota T770 and Cat 299D2.

Our business uses are Clearing lots, General cleanup, and grading, we would want a standard bucket, root grapple bucket, and either a flail cutter or heavy duty cutter.

Any recommendations to sway brand choice or other brands to consider? We may buy used or buy what we lease after the lease expires but we're leaning towards leasing first to get an estimate on how many hours per year we could use a track loader without the large up front investment of buying.

/ 80-100 HP compact track loader #2  
IF it was me, I'd be looking at who had the best warranty and who was my best dealer...

SR

/ 80-100 HP compact track loader #3  
Probably want to be on a heavy equipment forum. TBN is almost all Compact Utility and Utility sized Tractor guys. A few exceptions for sure. Best of luck!

/ 80-100 HP compact track loader #4  
Truck loading can be hard, depending on the height of the side wall & boards until you get way up to the big 870 Bobcat (CTL) or the big Gehl V 400 (SS). Our Sterling d/t had tall walls, (above cab height) and even with the Gehl with a 12' pin height it was hard to reach (dump) into the middle of the bed of that truck.
Gehl V4�� Vertical Lift Skid Loader
T87� Compact Track Loader - Bobcat Company
A SS/CTL will work circles around your tractor and you'll love it but it's a big expenditure both new & used. You might bite the bullet and do some rental to find what size machine you want first, with truck loading on your "menu". All "big frame" machines do not have the lift height, that is unless you have shorter sides on your d/t and just don't need it.
I've had a Deere, NH, and Case, and still have the Gehl. None of them were nearly as computer dependent as today's machine's, and none of them had any emission b/s either so I'm somewhat out of touch with the new machines but I read a lot about B/C having electronic issues followed by Cat with the same. ASV's (and Cat's xx7 series) are super expensive to keep the undercarriage "in order". Kubota's seem to keep their owners happy and off the "forums" with complaints especially for being a new product for them. All the homework you do before you buy will be well worth the time. Are you sure you need a CTL over a SS? A SS with over the tire metal tracks will give you the most traction for clearing and heavy digging and I've read where you can figure around $10/hour for the cost of operation of a CTL (tire costs vs belts, rollers & wheels) Ask the boy's over on HEF. Heavy Equipment Forums One more thing, a vertical lift ''boom" is better for truck loading.
Good luck and welcome to TBN!

/ 80-100 HP compact track loader #6  
Hey Dirt Worx-

I have limited experience with other makes but quite a bit of experience with CAT, as I own several 289's and a 299. Have had great luck and love these machines.
For dirt work, they can't be beat. I am able to side load my military dump (m51?) without a problem. However, I also have a paystar with high sides I can't quite reach, so the easy answer is build a loading pad with the materials you're loading.

As for brush cutters, I have a few different models.....the least expensive brush cutter doesn't have much clearance from the hub to the ground, mandating you keep it off the ground to keep the rpms up. The severe service cutter I have is so much better, the hub is recessed so you can mow with the rails on the ground, and the 3 bladed design goes thru about everything. I also have a drum style forestry mulcher for the 299 xhp that I haven't had a chance to run yet.

I also have compact tractors, but have been using the ctl's a great deal more since acquiring them. The joystick controls are easy to learn and quickly become second nature to operate.

Ask away if you have any other Q's.

/ 80-100 HP compact track loader #8  
I've only run Bobcats because that's what all the rental yards have. I have no idea how well they compare to the other brands, but there must be something to them with so many of them being rented out.

I've read and heard a lot of good thins about Kubota skid steers. I'd look at them for sure. After that, it's probably what dealer will support you the best. At this stage of development, they are all going to be very competitive.