John deere 5045E or equivlent

/ John deere 5045E or equivlent #1  

Broken Bear

Tractor
1720 Ford
I am not set on a color, I am looking for used in a 4WD/MFWD 45/55 HP ...the 5045E has an unusually long production run in number of years ....it is a 5000 lb tractor in the utility classification rather than compact such as my present tractor ...I am aware that my 30HP 3000lb 1720 Ford with weights all over and fluid in tires is being seriously over loaded/worked ...6 foot bush hogging, 8' disc, 2 bottom plow, log dragging on 220 AC of hardwoods and bottoms ....I like the weight of the 5045E,the wheel base, the width, the larger diameter front tires, the long production run and cannot find repeat problem areas like clutch,PTO,engine, etc. etc.

That said I am looking for knowledge ...

Knowledge of other brands that you have some sort of experience that might approach the above positives I think might be important
As well as things that you have found important that I may not be giving the proper attention to not mentioned above
So share the brain power ...don't let me screw up!

Part of my problem is we are in big row crop country and there are few small HP tractors except Kubota and LS to look at and are of course new with few trade ins of older models in the above HP range to look at ...plus everything seems to have R4 rubber when i see the few used floating around ...for hills and field work I need Ag tire for sure

Bear

/ John deere 5045E or equivlent #2  
The 5e series are made in India and if I recall correctly have Indian made three cylinder engines, not Yanmar engines like in the smaller units. The 5045e is naturally aspirated and the 5055/65/75 are turbocharged. Good and heavy machines. The 5045e might be underpowered for its weight so if the cost is reasonable you may want to hedge towards the 5055e or 5065e.

One of the fellas on here had some problems with his 5e but I can't recall who.

/ John deere 5045E or equivlent #3  
The 5e series are made in India and if I recall correctly have Indian made three cylinder engines, not Yanmar engines like in the smaller units. The 5045e is naturally aspirated and the 5055/65/75 are turbocharged. Good and heavy machines. The 5045e might be underpowered for its weight so if the cost is reasonable you may want to hedge towards the 5055e or 5065e.

Good chance youre referring to me. I had a heck of a time with 2 5055e with a cab. I think the OOS tractors are pretty slick. They had some issues with the hyd getting hot and melting the fuel tanks but that's been fixed. They are releasing a new updates 5e series that seems promising. I think for ground engagement the 5045 would work. Seems I ran out of traction before power. Ran a 7' shredder well but would recommend the 8'. I think it pulls easier. Worst case just slow down in the heavy stuff. Biggest bit of advise would be to check the brakes before you leave the dealership. That was my biggest complaint

Brett

/ John deere 5045E or equivlent #4  
New Holland and Case/IH has equivalent utility tractors in the Workmaster and Farmall series. I traded a 1720 last year on a WM 50 and have been pleased with the choice. You have a cab option in the Deere that is not available in the Workmaster or Farmall.

/ John deere 5045E or equivlent
Thanks fellows for the info ....seems like most everything around me has R4 tires and I am needing Ag tire ...there are a few new units of various brands around me in my HP/setup but I shudder to think about about subjecting a spanking new tractor in the woods as we do on this tree/row crop farm ....doing timber stand improvements ....timber burns ...fire lane maint. etc puts the hurts on tractor skins and sometimes the hard parts with the wrong operator!

Bear

/ John deere 5045E or equivlent #6  
If you're going to put it into that type of stuff why not look at the Ford/New Holland's like a 3930? All those things were tanks with parts easily found like the JD. You could also look at the Mahindra 4550, it's an old school design 8Fx2R trans but built solid. I thinks that's pretty well there trade mark build far as durability & can be bought at a good price used and it'll already be taken the loss on resale.

Yes ...power is a thought ...and I am probably over confident at the 45HP when I've been doing everything with a 28HP 1720 Ford 4X4!
But ...turbo adds HP ...but adds to the list of moving parts ...hummm ....have I read somewhere that when a same size engine gets a turbo added for additional HP that engine RPM's are also increased?

Thanks Bear

/ John deere 5045E or equivlent #8  

I have a 5045E that I use almost exclusively in the woods for firewood/part time logging. I'm pretty sure it's turbocharged.

I have found that it really needs to have weight added. The front could use weight even when the H240 loader is on when skidding bigger logs. It has plenty of power for in the woods, but on the open road it can be easy to bog down in C3 and even C2 at times - and that's just the tractor/loader. If I'm pulling a loaded trailer, then might as well hang out in "B" range unless you are on flat ground.

/ John deere 5045E or equivlent #9  
The new 5045E,5055E,5065E, and 5075E tractors now are assembled in the USA. The older E series like my 5055E are made in India. I think the quality looks a lot better on the USA models.

Bman .. you must be right about them being tanks ...I searched for the 3930 4X4 on the web and the darn things are as high or higher than JD5045/55's MFWD's ..either not many around/sold or one heck of a following

Bear