25HP HST tractors and low range speed.

/ 25HP HST tractors and low range speed. #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
This is my second post in this section as I examine options with new tractors in the 25/26 HP range.

I initially thought a SCUT would be what I wanted, but after going out and looking at them, I'm at the decision that a small CUT is more realistic.

I went and test drove a LS XJ2025 up in Sandy lake Pa on Friday, and I noticed that the low range Max speed for mowing is MUCH faster than the max low range speed of the LS MT125. The MT125 would kill me as a mower.

Then I went to a Mahindra dealer and test drove the Max 26XL, very slow low range and the high range would not allow the TLB to begin moving on a slight grade. The high range would be useless, thus crushing my interest in this machine. It's too slow in low range and will not move in high range unless the ground is nearly level.

I don't have level ground.

So next I want to try the Massey Ferguson 1526 3 range hydro tractor. I have dealer telling me that he's sold the 1526 as a TLB with MMM. I have another dealer saying that it can't be done... You can not do the hoe on a 1526. I'm still exploring this and looking for truth. I'm interested in that mid range for mowing speed, I'm looking for 6-7 mph mowing on a 17 degree cross hill.

I also want to check out the Kabota B2320 3 range hydro to see how it works.

I was saddened that the Mahindra was just unable to pull off a start on a mild grade in high range. They really need to address that. The LS tractor has much more pull in high range, and much more suited in low range. A totally more useful tractor.

Are there any other models that I should looking at while trying to be around $26,000 or less for a CUT TLB/MMM that has the ability to cut at speeds of 6-7 mph?

Any of them will move themselves with low range with the loader and hoe, but not all have the ability to cut equal to my garden tractor speeds.

/ 25HP HST tractors and low range speed. #2  
This is my second post in this section as I examine options with new tractors in the 25/26 HP range.

I initially thought a SCUT would be what I wanted, but after going out and looking at them, I'm at the decision that a small CUT is more realistic.

I went and test drove a LS XJ2025 up in Sandy lake Pa on Friday, and I noticed that the low range Max speed for mowing is MUCH faster than the max low range speed of the LS MT125. The MT125 would kill me as a mower.

Then I went to a Mahindra dealer and test drove the Max 26XL, very slow low range and the high range would not allow the TLB to begin moving on a slight grade. The high range would be useless, thus crushing my interest in this machine. It's too slow in low range and will not move in high range unless the ground is nearly level.

I don't have level ground.

So next I want to try the Massey Ferguson 1526 3 range hydro tractor. I have dealer telling me that he's sold the 1526 as a TLB with MMM. I have another dealer saying that it can't be done... You can not do the hoe on a 1526. I'm still exploring this and looking for truth. I'm interested in that mid range for mowing speed, I'm looking for 6-7 mph mowing on a 17 degree cross hill.

I also want to check out the Kabota B2320 3 range hydro to see how it works.

I was saddened that the Mahindra was just unable to pull off a start on a mild grade in high range. They really need to address that. The LS tractor has much more pull in high range, and much more suited in low range. A totally more useful tractor.

Are there any other models that I should looking at while trying to be around $26,000 or less for a CUT TLB/MMM that has the ability to cut at speeds of 6-7 mph?

Any of them will move themselves with low range with the loader and hoe, but not all have the ability to cut equal to my garden tractor speeds.
I'm utterly astounded that the Max wouldn't move except on level ground. Did you give it some throttle? Run it to PTO speed?

/ 25HP HST tractors and low range speed.
Full operating throttle, and stood on the HST pedal and got a loud high whine. The dealer told me that it's a constant complaint from customers over here on the hills. He says you just use low range and get used to it, but I'm not looking to triple the time it takes me to mow. And I'm not buying a zero turn when for $3,000 I can buy a 7mph Husqvarna fast cut tractor... That is what I use now but branded as Craftsman.

I want to just maintain my cut speed that $3,000 buys me, but add $22,000 to it and get the loader/backhoe and near lifetime product rather than every 500-1000 hours of service need to buy a new tractor.

/ 25HP HST tractors and low range speed. #4  
You check out the xg3025 I don't think it has a mid mount mower. Maybe check out Kioti.

I've got to have a mid mount mower, and I wish there was a Kioti dealer within 2 hours of me.

The only Kioti one I see is a guy a couple hours away that has a picture on the site of his 2 bay garage with 2 Kioti tractors on stock.

Looks very much like a dealer that may not make the year.... And then I'd be really in a bad position of I needed help. I'd like to buy a brand that at least has some regional dealer support, this takes McCormick, Yanmar, Kioti and TYM out of the running.

I'm looking at Deere, Kabota, Massey, Mahindra, LS, New Holland. And LS is pushing it... That was an hour and 20 minute drive each way... But for the best product I'll go that far. So far that one is the best, but I've got some test driving to do.

/ 25HP HST tractors and low range speed. #6  
Full operating throttle, and stood on the HST pedal and got a loud high whine.

By "stood" do you mean mashed it all the way down? If so, that was probably why it whined and did not move. The farther you push an HST pedal/treadle, the higher the effective gear ratio, so by mashing it all the way down you basically went right into high-high. My neighbor has a Max and it has no problems in high that I ever noticed. The tractor has some other things I don't like but the HST is not one of them.

I tried to move without mashing it, tried the typical add pedal to look for motion.... No motion as the whine progressed. So I thought, WTF, let's kick this SOB straight down and see if it will move at all. That was no better. Again, the dealer says that yes, this is normal and that on our typical/regional 10-20 degree yards these will not move in high range and customers forever complain about it. So it's not a shock to him. I'd be fine with it if the low range speed were similar to the LS CUT, but my goodness is the Max slow as molasses in low range.

/ 25HP HST tractors and low range speed. #8  
The only Kioti one I see is a guy a couple hours away that has a picture on the site of his 2 bay garage with 2 Kioti tractors on stock.
There is a Kioti dealer in Kittanning -Armstrong Truck and tractor
Lamb and Webster- Grove City is also a Kioti and Case dealer. Both closer to you than the Sandy Lake LS dealer.

Last edited:
   / 25HP HST tractors and low range speed. #9  
I'm interested in that mid range for mowing speed, I'm looking for 6-7 mph mowing on a 17 degree cross hill.

6-7 mph should be OK on flat, smooth ground, but sideways on a 17 deg slope? All it would take is a slight bump or hump and things could get very sporting. Maybe it's just me, but I take side slopes nice and slow for safety reasons. Particularly when you get into a CUT with larger wheels, more ground clearance and higher COG.

But your comments about gearing make a point about the value of the 3 range transmissions. Hope you find one that works for your situation.

So, would you choose to side cut a 17 degree 3 acre yard with a CUT, or cut up and down? I go side to side because the yard is a long rectangle, going side to side along it means way less abuse of the Hydro unit on the GT, maintaining full 6-mph speeds and fast turn around at each end. I only cut up/back down in reverse on the 32 degree bank, and I believe that this area is what cooks my hydro transaxle in these garden tractors. This bank is also why I need the belly mower, I couldn't back up it and if I pulled up with a pull behind finish mower I would have a huge swath to weed eat ��

The problem with the SCUT is the light weight and weaker hydraulic performance. I desire to move the lower edge of the yard back about 15-20 feet into the woods over time. That will require a few hundred trees being dig out over a few years. The trees aren't overly large as this was all cut 16" and larger about 20 years back. It's about time to sell the standing timber again, and then use this for clean up and pushing the trees/stumps/brush back to add additional maintained yard on the low side.

I know there is no one single perfect machine for me, so my goal is to find the unit with the least short comings.

Last edited: