Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4105 / JD D110

Default Re: John Deere or Massey Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorable View Post
    Easy now, my point is that the industry has moved to loaders that are easily removable, quick attach loaders. John Deere is the only manufacturer that I've seen that has loaders on their economy model tractors that are not easily removed. The industry has also moved to SSQA connections on their loaders. John Deere offers GlobalQA or an adapter for SSQA. Potential customers should be aware of this.

I'm probably the biggest Yanmar fan in here growing up in the marine industry. I merely advised the OP that John Deere's have Yanmar engines. It's a fact. I never said anything negative about Yanmar.
    Thank you for clarifying.

Tractor
    '98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231

What do you think would be the best tractor long term? The 3038E or the Massey 1739E? The closest Massey dealer is 1 hour and 45 mins. away. The next closest is 2 hrs. away. There are several Deere dealers within 30 minutes and been in business for years. Both Massey dealers are new.
    This is a tough decision. I'd be getting more tractor with Massey but more local support with Deere. I'm just not sure what the correct choice should be.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Workmaster 50, Ford 4610 SU

How good are you at maintenance and repairs? Is the Massey worth driving an extra 1.5 hours away for a repair if needed? I get the impression you want the Massey but are concerned with service and support. If you really want the Massey get it. You will never be happy with the Deere. Most of these newer tractors are very reliable. Some have had issues with the new Tier VI emissions but most have not. Long term I would not think one is any better or worse than the other.

Tractor
    JD 4105 / JD D110

Just remember that the tractor you choose is a portion of owning it. The other is the reputation of the dealership (parts/service/support). [I'm not going to throw around percentages that are pretty much pulled out of my arse. ] You'll use the tractor for what you need it for, the dealership is back-up... the better the back-up, the better you feel.

Your own knowledge and the knowledge of your neighbours will tell you the reputation of your area's dealership; any colour. In this day & age, a dealership that has been around for a long time has survived because of it's reputation.

In my own circumstance, all of the different colour dealerships are 2 hours away. I talked with many tractor owners (mostly red Case IH/McCorrmick) before shopping/buying and they honestly praised the JD dealership in Longford. They've lived up to their reputation with me and my little tractor, considering that they mostly deal with larger Ag rigs.

If you've got a good, long term relationship with your MF dealership then that may be a big factor in what colour you decide to go. Ideally, you're going to be dealing with that dealership for the long-term.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Quote Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
    Yes they do.
    Many of the LS and Kioti tractors and probably others come standard with SSQA on the loader
    I just made a quick stop at the local Yanmar dealer.
    Same thing, nearly every tractor on the lot had a SSQA on it.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Tractor
    JD 4105 / JD D110

Quote Originally Posted by DK35vince View Post
    I just made a quick stop at the local Yanmar dealer.
    Same thing, nearly every tractor on the lot had a SSQA on it.
    That's nice.

It still doesn't mean that it's "industry standard" for a tractor's FEL. If you accept a SSQA (designed, of course for a Skid Steer) for a tractor's FEL then you are giving up a significant amount of lifting capacity due to the added weight of the SSQA and the added weight of the welded on SSQA implement attachment plate. If you're fine with that, go for it.

Of course you can always ask the dealership if there are other options for FEL quick attaches. In the future, when purchasing a new implement for your FEL, you simply tell them what FEL QA you have and it's delivered in that configuration.

I happen to have the JDQA on my 300CX. I ordered my 4in1 bucket and combination hay-spears/forks in that configuration; easy peasy. Mates of mine have the GlobalQA as it's the best system to how they use their tractors (they're all Case IH).

What I'm getting at is, now the OP knows that there are other options out there. The SSQA is designed for a Skid Steer. That it can also be mounted on a tractor's FEL is an option.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40

I wouldn't buy a tractor that didn't come with the SSQA system

Seems to me the only ones that don't consider it the industry standard is JD and the Faithfull cool aid drinkers!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mf135, Ursus C-355, David Brown 995

The MF 231 i find on pics looks like the std MF 200 tractor design, its still made so parts should not be a problem.
    The same basic body has been in production since 1957 and probably stil be made for decades to come.

Tractor
    JD 4105 / JD D110

Quote Originally Posted by paulfun9 View Post
    I wouldn't buy a tractor that didn't come with the SSQA system

Seems to me the only ones that don't consider it the industry standard is JD and the Faithfull cool aid drinkers!
    G'day Paul and thanks for the laugh. I suppose that simply pointing out to the OP (and others) that there are alternatives to the SSQA system is somehow wrong, in your opinion of course.

You are indeed entitled to your opinions... just not to your own facts.

I hope that you continue to enjoy your reduced FEL lifting capacity due to your choice of heavier quick attach system.

Tractor
    Kubota L5740HSTC, MF 2615, MF 1230

you are giving up a significant amount of lifting capacity due to the added weight of the SSQA and the added weight of the welded on SSQA implement attachment plate. If you're fine with that, go for it.
    I hope that you continue to enjoy your reduced FEL lifting capacity due to your choice of heavier quick attach system

I have to admit I got a chuckle out of this. Unless you are talking about a very small SCUT, I can't imagine the extra hundred pounds would make a big difference, but then I put a too heavy grapple on my kubota so I fully understand "weight out front". I think this is a fair point to make, but SSQA is the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm also amazed a MF with 1300 hours on it would be considered worn out, if it's an old Perkins design, like what I have,
    they are just getting broken in...
    but I can't imagine a tractor without a FEL and 4wd is great, so good decision to change for more utility.

let's be gentle with each other, we are all learning here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast