Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura 1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925

Default Re: What size?

I hope we're not scaring the OP off with our zeal. He's pretty much like the rest of us who wants to have some land and domesticate it with a CUT. Sometimes it's hard to go from 0 - 70 hp because of budget or newess. Sometimes you don't need to go to 70 hp. I started with 15hp even though I knew I would eventually want more, but my circumstances at the time dictated that modest option. I chose 15hp and got a lot of work done The beauty with CUTs is that they hold their value so well. I even sold some for more than I paid after a couple of years of work.

It might be helpful if the original poster would post pics of what he wants to mow. If it is 8' elephant grass, we may all rethink our hp minimums. If is just keeping pasture knocked down, then we can help the OP get to a happy place there too. If the OP hangs in there with us, I think he will have as much fun and productivity with his CUT as the rest of us do.

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by jvictory15 View Post
    Hey guys, Im new here, so hopefully Im posting in the correct area...

I grew up on around 12 acres of open pasture land, we basically shared land with my grandparents, which is every kids dream. My grandpa had/has a ford utility tractor. I know how to operate everything on that tractor with all sorts of attachments; but I couldn't tell you what kind of tractor it is, what model it was, HP, anything. As a kid I never paid attention to that stuff, I just wanted to ride with my grandpa and as I got older I wanted to do it myself.

All that to say, I know how to operate for the most part, but I have no "book" knowledge on tractors.

Well, now married with kids of my own, we are in the process of purchasing an 18 acre piece of property, pretty flat terrain; 15 of these acres will be open pasture land, the other three is heavy wooded (I don't plan on doing anything with these 3 acres). So I am looking at purchasing a tractor but really have no idea where to start.

The main uses I will need is mowing. Im guessing 5 of those acres will be more finished mowed every week, and the remaining 10 will be bush hogged a few times a year. This will be 95% of what I will use it for. I don't even have in mind what the remaining 5% will be used for but Im sure I can find something .

Im not sure if a small compact tractor could handle this, 25hp or 35hp, or if I need to go up to a utility tractor with 50+hp. If someone could at least point me in the right direction that would be great! Thanks!
    From the sounds of it, you don't have any heavy lifting or heavy ground engaging work on the horizon? The only reason you'll "need" a larger tractor is if it physically won't lift what you need, or pull what you need due to lack of traction.

Pretty much everything else can be done with a smaller tractor, and smaller implements.

By all means, I am an "overkill" kind of guy. However, I see no reason you need a larger tractor with 50hp or more.

In my experience, you do not need a 50+hp tractor to pull a 6' rotary mower, and you certainly don't need a "minimum" of 45hp as one poster stated.

I have 39pto hp and use a 6' heavy duty mower. Sure I'd "like" more power because I like overkill, but I manage to get by just fine with 39hp. For me, the lift capacity is my limiting factor, which does not seem to be a concern in your case.

What size?-75dbea37-9876-49a7-8884-d56235dc5b4e

What size?-img_4804-jpg
    -Matt
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (grapple photo thread here) Front forks, Rear forks, Brown 472 HD Mower, LP RBT4096 rear blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, LP rake/blade combo, Frontier/Gannon BB1284 Box Blade, Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, Vermeer PTO Chipper, Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 sawmill, Split-Fire 3465 Log Splitter
    Rear Remotes Install

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Ok. It's clear you didn't like your 1531. Maybe you got a piece of crap???? Maybe the whole model line is junk? Or maybe there are valid reasons? Like plugged radiator even though the screen was clean... . Because the screen don't get it all. Gotta blow out the radiator. And not enough power to shear the pin....power isn't what shears it, it's impact/shock loading. And perhaps it wasn't a proper grade 2 bolt??

Not gonna speculate further. You didn't like your Massey? Fine. But touting that a 30hp tractor is too small for a 5' mower is TERRIBLE info. Info like that is what I am trying to dispell.

Its plenty of power if you don't mind going so darn slow! I would rather get the Job done and be on my way so it will never be enough power!

I think you said you did it for 5 years. I would have been fed up with the slow working speed in less than a month and upgraded to more HP.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531

I am not trying to start a "war" on here with anyone. A lot of these little tractors do pretty good maintaining small acreage regardless of brand. But experiences to me some tractors seem to hold up better than others when you get to pushing them hard. I am suggesting this fellow consider a 35 (ish) hp tractor. with my experience coupled with watching the neighbors I am simply suggesting this fellow take a good hard look at John Deere and case-ih. First you have a strong brand name with a vast parts network. Second john Deere And case-ih have dealers all over the place. Third both of these brands have a reputation for dependability, reliability, and ruggedness. If a 35 hp John Deere or case-ih can perform well with farm applications it really do good with small acreage applications. However you kubota, massey ferguson, kioti, mahindra would probably do good for him with small acreage. I as just trying to share my thoughts and experience to help this fellow and hopefully he does not end up in a tractor nightmare like I and others have.

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by paulfun9 View Post
    Its plenty of power if you don't mind going so darn slow! I would rather get the Job done and be on my way so it will never be enough power!

I think you said you did it for 5 years. I would have been fed up with the slow working speed in less than a month and upgraded to more HP.
    Yep. But working speed due to power wasnt a limiting factor very often. The smaller tires on the L3400 + rough terrain was a limiting factor more often.

I normally mowed in 1-high or 2-high. For that machine that was 4.1 mph and 5.5 I think. Every once in awhile in real thick stuff Id back down to 4-Low, which was 3.5 MPH. And on nasty brush, briars, saplings, etc....3 Low was as slow as I ever had a need to go, That was 2.9 MPH. So more power wouldnt have done much for me on most of the jobs, nothing but burn more fuel.

I did upgrade HP to a MX5100 though. And an 8' Twin mower. I'd be running a 10' Twin if not for trailering and keeping under 102" wide. But that tractor comes at a cost....2.5 Gal per hour if I am pushing it hard. The old L3400 was 1-1.25 gal/hr. SO I have doubled fual usage, for cutting maybe 50% faster.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

MX5100 DIY Remotes
    MX5100 Diverter install
    Front Snow Plow Install

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip w View Post
    I am not trying to start a "war" on here with anyone. A lot of these little tractors do pretty good maintaining small acreage regardless of brand. But experiences to me some tractors seem to hold up better than others when you get to pushing them hard. I am suggesting this fellow consider a 35 (ish) hp tractor. with my experience coupled with watching the neighbors I am simply suggesting this fellow take a good hard look at John Deere and case-ih. First you have a strong brand name with a vast parts network. Second john Deere And case-ih have dealers all over the place. Third both of these brands have a reputation for dependability, reliability, and ruggedness. If a 35 hp John Deere or case-ih can perform well with farm applications it really do good with small acreage applications. However you kubota, massey ferguson, kioti, mahindra would probably do good for him with small acreage. I as just trying to share my thoughts and experience to help this fellow and hopefully he does not end up in a tractor nightmare like I and others have.
    Im done. You made your point. You say Case and Deere are the only good machines in the 35 hp class because you got a lemon of a massey and your dad had issues with a kubota 20 years ago. And Case and Deere are the only ones that will hold up on a farm.

You are wrong though. Fortunately People are allowed to make up their own minds and not pay any attention to you thinking kubota, kioti, massey, etc small tractors arent any good.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

MX5100 DIY Remotes
    MX5100 Diverter install
    Front Snow Plow Install

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    Im done. You made your point. You say Case and Deere are the only good machines in the 35 hp class...

...Fortunately People are allowed to make up their own minds and not pay any attention to you thinking kubota, kioti, massey, etc small tractors arent any good.
    Gotta love marketing huh!
    -Matt
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (grapple photo thread here) Front forks, Rear forks, Brown 472 HD Mower, LP RBT4096 rear blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, LP rake/blade combo, Frontier/Gannon BB1284 Box Blade, Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, Vermeer PTO Chipper, Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 sawmill, Split-Fire 3465 Log Splitter
    Rear Remotes Install

Gold Member
    Tractor
    1952 Ford 8n

Default What size?

I spent a while yesterday trying to figure out who even makes Case IH compact utility tractors. Best I can figure, Case IH is part of the Case New Holland Group (CNG), owned by Fiat of Italy, with the manufacturing outsourced to the Korean LS company.

So, Case IH, New Holland, and LS tractors are probably all the same underneath with different paint jobs. I seriously doubt that big Ag Case tractors and their long American history have any relation to the modern Case IH compact utility tractors being made in Korea. It's just a bunch of marketing smoke and mirrors.

As for quality, I'm sure they're fine. The Koreans build pretty good stuff these days. But a lot of the Korean tractor building know-how was passed on to them by the Japanese, namely by Yanmar, kubota, Iseki, and Mitsubishi.

I don't know where big Ag Case tractors are built, but I doubt they have any relation to the Case IH compact utility tractors currently being made in Korea.
    Last edited by Tractorable; 09-23-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip w View Post
    Out of all the brands I have owned JD has been the worst experience overall. .

Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

My previous tractor was a John Deere (850)
    It was a good, solid machine for me, but if it was better than my current Kioti you would have to show me where. I don't see it.
    I've had my Kioti DK for 16 years now (2090 hours). Love it, works great, no issues.
    Vince,
    Kioti DK 35
    Hustler Super Z

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast