How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor

/ How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #1  

MMfrompa

Silver Member
Tractor
3 RK's
How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor plus a bunch of Tractor Pics from Channel Subscribers

/ How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #2  
I didn't watch the picture as I don't think there is such thing. I grew up in urbania and spent half my life there. Wife and I bought this farm in 1978 thinking the country life was better for our kids and I wanted something else in my life besides my family, city job, and fishing! I had yet to enroll in "Hard Knocks University" but that time had come. I never graduated because I still haven't completed all the courses.

I started out with a Farmall 25 hp Super A as I recall and have gone through well over a dozen tractors over the years the largest being a '79 fully restored JD 4230C at 100 PTO hp.....all in an attempt to find "the perfect tractor". Well folks, it doesn't exist and if you only have one you are switching implements every time you switch jobs. To that effect, at one time (when I retired in 2005) I had 6: 4230DC, 4010D with loader, MF 35D, Ford 2000D, 2 Ford 3000Ds, Ford 4600. The 4230 and 4600 were separate stand alone sales. The 4010, MF 35, and one of the 3000s went as tradeins on the current Branson 6530. As in my Avatar, current stable still intact. Each has it's function.

With that said, I think you need to get some experience and see just what it is that you do and need before you jump in. Spend some quality time talking with owners and folks that do what it is you want to do. Ask questions. If you are mechanically inclined, buy older equipment first and get used to working it. Figure out why your current machine doesn't work for you. If you are a multifunction person and can see your way clear, buy more than one as time passes with different amenities so that you don't have to rig and rerig every time you change tasks.....I'm not talking about seasonal changes like winter operation vs summer operation, I'm talking about during a specific season having to hook up and change out implements half a dozen times to get one job done.

Case in point. Putting in an annual hay crop. Specific tools for the job requiring changeout: Subsoil, plow, disc, fertilize, harrow, drill, cut, rake, haul and on each cutting once again cut, rake, haul. Each task requires implement changeout. Working alone as I always have it gets to be a challenging task at times especially if you are working a 6 day 10 hour job and have a family rightfully so, requiring some of your attention.

This is my perspective from my experiences. We all have our nitch in life. Hope this helped you fulfill yours. Obviously, as the TV series went: "Different Strokes for Different Folks". Good luck.

/ How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #3  
Interesting,thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

/ How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #4  
I've enjoyed many of your vids! Thanks for taking the time to do them. I tried making a couple YouTube vids but it's so much more work than I realized to edit the video!

Keep it up!

/ How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #5  
My perfect tractor is not a tractor, but is a compact telehandler: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...pact-telehandler-post3243370.html#post3243370

75 horsepower, 4WD, 4 wheel steer, 2 wheel steer and crab steer:

P9290019.JPG

The boom extends 5.5 feet. SSQA with a stump bucket. Note the low, easy step-in cab:

P9290022.JPG

6' wide, 1 cubic yard, with bolt on teeth:

P3180020c.jpg

Grapple at the ravine:

P6100018.JPG

Long arm tree puller:

P6140015.JPG

6' long forks:

P6290008.JPG

7' brush hog:

PA010010.JPG

Bale spear with a 5x6, 1391 pound round bale:

PA090011.JPG

Last edited:
   / How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #6  
Nice vid, thank you.

I know I want a shuttle shift/ FEL/ 6' flail/box scraper/and the baddest backhoe I can get in these classes of unit. I have hardpan/rock/sand stone here in central cali. So I have been focused on something in the 50hp range so I can get a powerful enough backhoe without buying a wore out Case 580. My three choices right now are Branson, Mahindra and LS. B.

/ How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #8  
Nice vid, thank you.

I know I want a shuttle shift/ FEL/ 6' flail/box scraper/and the baddest backhoe I can get in these classes of unit. I have hardpan/rock/sand stone here in central cali. So I have been focused on something in the 50hp range so I can get a powerful enough backhoe without buying a wore out Case 580. My three choices right now are Branson, Mahindra and LS. B.

That would be my L39, except loader stays on tractor, t is only 40 Hp or so even with the fuel cranked up a bit and it has tiny tires. An M59 would work for you?

/ How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #9  
My perfect tractor is not a tractor, but is a compact telehandler: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...pact-telehandler-post3243370.html#post3243370

View attachment 524283

The boom extends 5.5 feet. SSQA with a stump bucket. Note the low, easy step-in cab:

View attachment 524284

View attachment 524285

Grapple at the ravine:

View attachment 524286

Long arm tree puller:

View attachment 524287

6' long forks:

View attachment 524288

7' brush hog:

View attachment 524289

View attachment 524290

Agree, very functional. I thought I wanted a Bobcat once.....till I checked the price. But if you can super. Nice pics too. Great baler for your round bale too, nice and symmetrical, good ties, heavy bale.

/ How to choose YOUR perfect Tractor #10  

View attachment 524283

View attachment 524284

View attachment 524285

Grapple at the ravine:

View attachment 524286

Long arm tree puller:

View attachment 524287

6' long forks:

View attachment 524288

7' brush hog:

View attachment 524289

View attachment 524290
How do you attach the plow to that thing? 😀 kidding, as we used telehandlers at work. The most versatile tools we had for shovel and drag line repair.