Buying Advice What size tractor do I need?

/ What size tractor do I need? #1  

PalPigs

Tractor
Use tractor to move large round bales and pallets of feed, 2000lbs. Looking to buy new, What do you recommend?

Last edited:
   / What size tractor do I need? #2  
We could use some more information, but offhand I would say you need 4WD. You also need attachments to move the round bales and forks I assume for the feed. You would need SSQA (quick attach) on your FEL so you can swap attachments. Your local best dealer might answer the question as to the brand. What good dealers are close?

Excellent Well supported brands are Kubota and Deere. Many satisfied owners of Kioti, LS, Massey, NH.... Any main brand.

As for size, I like 45 to 50 HP and up. As to transmission, a power shuttle or HST. HST if you like fine control when using the FEL. Power Shuttle if you don't want your engine maxed out all the time and want something all around. Both are good.

/ What size tractor do I need? #3  
Fill in your T-B-N Profile with info on your current tractor and your location.

What is your BUDGET for a new tractor?

Last edited:
   / What size tractor do I need? #4  
You are looking at a utility tractor in the 50hp range at least.

/ What size tractor do I need? #5  
The conditions the bales will be moved in make a difference. Also hight and reach of the bucket may be a factor.

To do it properly with a new tractor be aware that price could be substantial.

One farmers solution.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

/ What size tractor do I need? #6  
It'll take a pretty big tractor to lift a 2000 pound pallet on the FEL. Do you want to load the pallets on a truck or just move them around. I'd definitely try the lift before you buy a machine. Loader specs are clear as mud.

/ What size tractor do I need? #7  
I would say 5 family series JD or larger, not sure what that is in other brands. HP is rather irrelevant when it comes to loader work but I would say 50hp plus.

I have a 4 series and with big round bales I wish I had a bigger tractor for stability reasons. I suppose a 4 series would do it but would be pushing its limits. IMG_7252.JPGIMG_7250.JPGIMG_7255.JPG

Pallet forks on a 6x4 round bale, around 1200lbs maybe more, I haven’t bought another that big since and don’t plan to.

I have around 30psi in my front tires and 12psi in the rears, you can see how stressed the front tires were on that bale.

/ What size tractor do I need? #8  
On the surface, it would seem that by the time a person has a need to be moving 2000 lb pallets of feed that he would know more than most about what kind of tractor was needed.
rScotty

/ What size tractor do I need? #9  
Fill in your T-B-N Profile with info on your current tractor and your location.

Why? This has nothing to do with his question.

Palpigs,
Your gonna need something larger than a 50-60hp compact tractor. You are into utility sized range with needing to 2k lbs IF you want to do it with the front end loader.

If you don’t need the lift height, you could use the three point hitch on a compact.

Otherwise your looking at something like a Kubota M7060, Deere 5075 or similar, NH T4.75/Case 75c or others comparable to
That.

/ What size tractor do I need? #10  
I would say 5 family series JD or larger, not sure what that is in other brands. HP is rather irrelevant when it comes to loader work but I would say 50hp plus.

I have a 4 series and with big round bales I wish I had a bigger tractor for stability reasons. I suppose a 4 series would do it but would be pushing its limits. View attachment 525273View attachment 525274View attachment 525275

Pallet forks on a 6x4 round bale, around 1200lbs maybe more, I haven’t bought another that big since and don’t plan to.

I have around 30psi in my front tires and 12psi in the rears, you can see how stressed the front tires were on that bale.

That tractor is rated to lift 2100 or 2300 pounds to full height at the pins. My tractor was rated to lift 1800 pounds to full height at the pins. Lifting a 1200 pound 42x48 pallet to full height was about all I could do. I don't think that tractor will ever load a 2000 pound pallet on a semi truck. ( I'm making assumptions here. The op never said what he was doing. )