Compact telehandlers

/ Compact telehandlers #1  

ArmyDoc

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 245
Any recommendations? Looking at the jcb 525-60 agri loader today. Have a case dealer near by, but he doesnt stock these. Also have a bobcat dealer, also with none in stock....

/ Compact telehandlers #2  
Just curious what the advantage is for you to go with a compact telehandler? Contractors use them because they are easy to haul around from job to job, but on a farm, bigger is always going to be better.

JCB is probably one of the biggest brands in the world, but they are few and far between where I live. The few people that I know who have owned JCB said that getting parts was slow. It was so slow, that they ended up selling it and going to another brand.

/ Compact telehandlers #3  
Construction equipment has been my thing for the past 30 years and I would not buy a JCB anything. For a mini Id go genie or cat.
Unless your wanting one small enough for hauling you can actually get a good used 6k full size for less than a compact.

/ Compact telehandlers
JCB factory for their CTL / skidsteer based telehandlers is in Savannah, about 2 hours from here. Of course, the agri ones are made in England I learned. Something to consider.

Why telehandler? Well, I have an old 45hp MF but it's really too small and doesn't have a FEL. So I decided I'd look at a new tractor, and finally get CAB with AC while I was at it. But as I started looking at what I wanted to do, a couple people have suggested I look at machines other than tractor. My land is 95% forested, so I started considering a Skid Steer, but I don't really like the front entry vs side entry, and visibility isn't as good as that of a side arm based machine.

Here's what I'm looking to do, and kind of my thinking:
Jobs/tasks
1) Cut pastures
a) ~ 10 acres in back
b) ~3 acres in small fields around house
- these can be done with existing tractor and 5' bushog
- would be nicer/easier/more likely to get done if had CAB with AC
- Would be faster with wider implement
c) areas under and between trees
- requires smaller implement to fit between trees
2) Maintain fire-breaks and perimeter of property
- If cut once by someone else, then cut every 6 mos, these can be done with existing tractor and 5' bushog
- Lack of CAB with AC makes this unlikely to happen (I've had it cut, now it's overgrown so...)
- If HAD a CAB with AC
- could upkeep perimeter pretty easily with a tractor (it's about 15-20ft wide) but fire breaks might be too small (narrow and low) for larger tractor, and a few areas are a bit steep (they use a doser to cut them, don't feel comfortable taking my old 45hp tractor over all parts...)
- to maintain all of this myself
Firebreaks: need to be able to deal with 2-3 inch diameter sweetgum (mostly 2inch), but 6-10ft tall
- likely a problem to drive tractor over dragging a bushog, even though bushog could cut it probably
- could deal with with daneuser intimidator on FEL
- Maneuverability may be an issue for Tractor > CTH > SS or CTL
- could deal with with front mounted flail or brush cutter
Firebreaks: need to be able to deal with 5 or 6 ft wide path, ~20% grade in some spots
- Maneuverability may be an issue: Tractor > CTH > SS or CTL
3) Deal with Wind/Ice fallen trees and limbs
- FEL with grapple of some type

4) deal with vines & brambles in trees (wisteria, honeysuckle, blackberry)
- FEL with grapple vs daneuser intimidator

5) Manage & maintain driveway
- FEL with bucket vs 6/way scrape blade vs box blade etc
- Maneuverability may be an issue if digging rather than scraping: Tractor > CTH > SS or CTL

6) Pushing over dead but standing trees
- Falling tree safety is a concern - have seen stumps break 20 ft up.
- CTL - forestry package an option
- may be able to put forestry package on tractor too
- Height of FEL may benefit from higher reach in terms of leverage
- Telehandler has advantage in being able to stand farther back and reach farther up, Telehandler on a CTL/SS next

7) Transport of materials (e.g. fallen things to burn pile, feed, hay etc.)
- FEL
- Tractor and CTH faster than SS or CTL

so, those are my considerations.

JCB has something called a Teleskid that may be the best combination... it's kind of heading my list, but I welcome everyone's input. I had hoped to stay in the 50-70k range but my wife liked the forestry safety features on the teleskid, which puts it closer to 85k with a grapple and bucket.

/ Compact telehandlers #8  
A telehandler would be my dream machine for a lot of tasks.

/ Compact telehandlers #9  
Do you have a strong preference for the CTH vs the teleskid? Why or why not?

3TS-8T AG

I prefer CTH mainly due to steering tires, not skidding tires or sliding tracks. And faster travel speed

But I would take a Teleskid over any tractor.

JCB has some small Compact Telehandlers also.

Last edited:
   / Compact telehandlers #10  
Do any of the telehandlers have high flow options?

I think the "cool" factor is certainly there with the telehandler, but aside from pushing over dead falls from a distance, I don't really see anything you want to do as a challenge to any decent sized tractor.

If money is no object though, they sure are pretty awesome!