Buying Advice Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT?

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #1  

Sapper50

Tractor
Kubota L6060
Had a big list to start with, (45-60hp)
Mahindra
Kubota
Massey Furgeson
John Deere
Yanmar
New Holland

Between test drives/operating (I am 6'3" and some of the operator compartments are SMALL and cramped), DETAILED dealer/service sniff test and check, location, dealer willingness to support etc........
Its down to two
JD 4052R
Kubota (Grand L) 4760
If you happened on my other foundational post - dirt work on virgin dirt turning about 3-4 acres into horse pasture (rocks, dirt, LOTS of dirt work) so FEL, PTO tiller, box blade etc work and a lot of it, and a MX track = LOTS of continuous dirt work = never stops labor of love.

Getting the 3 pt attachments as part of the package, using the 0% financing in consideration.
Up front adding the rear hydros, top and tilt, factory service manual etc.
Get it all and be done.
Price give or take is within $1000-$1,500 max of each other and that is with the JD extended warranty package (could take it out) that takes the bumper to bumper to 6 years (and transferable), Kubota dealer didn't have any info on that type of program but I see on the factory web page they do have something comparable, just not sure yet. If you have to go with the Kubota insurance, that changes everything to the tune of now a $4000 price difference over the life of the loan - it adds up (JD cheaper)

I could own and be happy with either one - I don't have brand loyalty I have get work done at the fort and wallet loyalty. :D You want my $$$ as a dealer, then earn it.

Dealers
Green dealer is about 45 min away and full up huge dealership with great local ratings. They showed me their shop (HUGE and spotless and very well organized = pro), talked parts availability (days for most stuff due to their multi store network). If the tractor is under warranty, any warranty work etc, transportation to and from the shop from the house is free, part of their package, delivery of the new rig is free as well.
JD high level: I really liked the two peddle design of the HST, the smoothness of the transmission when doing loader drills (forward reverse etc) and hydraulic control and speed etc was super responsive. Operator room was overall the same as the Kubota for me, but the JD chair was much nicer on the JD and I could 'raise' it higher and give me more leg room. The DST controls were also placed a bit further from the chair = more leg room for me with my legs than the Kubota. Fit and finish on the JD was what I expected of the JD = solid and refined for a ute tractor.

Orange Dealer: is about 25 minutes from me and a small local but highly rated and customer focused dealership. Transportation if required to the shop is on me. Dealer was very knowledgeable and small town super friendly what can we do for you, get or price etc. walking about and spending a good bit of time and talking to folks - dealer has the indications of having their stuff together. Most orders etc due to size will be required for any parts - week to 2 weeks parts dependent.
Kubota rig high level: Engine was responsive, DST was smooth but not as smooth in engagement as the JD, especially right from a dead stop. Hydraulics had some 'hesitation' at lower RPMs, went away at 2000k and above. The low/med/high on the test rig did NOT play nice. Shifting between the speeds was at best chance and a guess and frustrating. I can't imagine this is 'normal' for big orange, but I wouldn't own that rig until someone fixed it and...I drove another one to make sure it isn't a trend (side note on the JD, the L/M/H selector was smooth, positive and what it should be). Im guessing someone needs to roll up their sleeves on the Kubota demo rig I drove. I could easily get used to the treadle DST control, but in just the 15 min or so operating both, the JD was without question quicker for me and more natural, and the Kubota DST peddle was closer to the 'chair', requiring me to pull my knee in much closer, giving a bit more cramped feel to the operator station. Not a deal killer, just an observation. Both had tilt wheels.

Both rigs are without question great rigs and would do 150% more than I will ever ask of them. Resale in our area for this size from what I have seen puts the JD a step higher but that gap is closing.
Trying to compare dealers is like minor league to big league in terms of size and volume. It is what it is. All indications are that either want your business and will back it up. I do like the zero cost transport on any warranty work if ever required - don't need to worry about a $150 delivery fee + the possible $100 hour seat time for the mechanic to come out and get it/troubleshoot it etc to get it loaded then back to the shop seat time - it all adds up and while I don't want or 'expect' either to have an issue, been around heavy junk for 40+ years now and they will all break, not if, just when and if you get one that was built on a Friday before a long weekend, well sucks to be you as you might have a hanger queen.

The Kubota trans selector was worrisome to say the least. I KNOW this isn't normal, but then, it shouldn't be on the lot in that condition. Very serious....... finding L or M or neutral between was like playing the lottery.

Timing isn't critical, but the longer I wait the less I get get done before the new year. The tractor right now won't be paying the bills (yet) so its not roof over my head essential.

Kubota - I was informed that K is going into the end of year inventory at HQ and no shipments for 2 weeks, then they ship based on the date the order was placed from Georgia out to Western Washington = maybe before thanksgiving, but with end of year specials/financing/zero downs, may have a lot of orders and with it being a smaller dealer maybe in December....

JD - 12 dealers in their network in Washington state have a few 4052r he could get down and have the rig at the house (with all the 3 points, rear hydro installed etc) 2 weeks max, most likely sooner.

Again, I would own and smile with either tearing up dirt at the fort....
I didn't expect the price to be this close from everything I have read, that surprised me 100%. Honestly If I do apples to apples the JD is cheaper, and you have to get insurance on the Kubota if you use their financing and the Kubota insurance they have (if your insurance won't cover ag equipment) adds about $5k to the price over the term of the loan, JD does not require that and makes the JD cheaper by $3-4k.

decisions, decisions decision.

with everything I have read here and other forums, dealership dealership dealership is a KEY consideration.
K is closer, JD is much more fuller service and size/scale to be responsive. K is 25 from the house, JD 45. So...only talking 20 min different between the two.

AAAGGGGGHHHHHH what do I do?:eek:
LOL:laughing:

Scott

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #2  
Reads like you want us to advise JD. You seem to have done adequate homework.
Just be sure to get good insurance on the JD.

I do prefer the Kubota hats. :)

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #3  
Had a big list to start with, (45-60hp)
Mahindra
Kubota
Massey Furgeson
John Deere
Yanmar
New Holland

Between test drives/operating (I am 6'3" and some of the operator compartments are SMALL and cramped), DETAILED dealer/service sniff test and check, location, dealer willingness to support etc........
Its down to two
JD 4052R
Kubota (Grand L) 4760
If you happened on my other foundational post - dirt work on virgin dirt turning about 3-4 acres into horse pasture (rocks, dirt, LOTS of dirt work) so FEL, PTO tiller, box blade etc work and a lot of it, and a MX track = LOTS of continuous dirt work = never stops labor of love.

Getting the 3 pt attachments as part of the package, using the 0% financing in consideration.
Up front adding the rear hydros, top and tilt, factory service manual etc.
Get it all and be done.
Price give or take is within $1000-$1,500 max of each other and that is with the JD extended warranty package (could take it out) that takes the bumper to bumper to 6 years (and transferable), Kubota dealer didn't have any info on that type of program but I see on the factory web page they do have something comparable, just not sure yet. If you have to go with the Kubota insurance, that changes everything to the tune of now a $4000 price difference over the life of the loan - it adds up (JD cheaper)

I could own and be happy with either one - I don't have brand loyalty I have get work done at the fort and wallet loyalty. :D You want my $$$ as a dealer, then earn it.

Dealers
Green dealer is about 45 min away and full up huge dealership with great local ratings. They showed me their shop (HUGE and spotless and very well organized = pro), talked parts availability (days for most stuff due to their multi store network). If the tractor is under warranty, any warranty work etc, transportation to and from the shop from the house is free, part of their package, delivery of the new rig is free as well.
JD high level: I really liked the two peddle design of the HST, the smoothness of the transmission when doing loader drills (forward reverse etc) and hydraulic control and speed etc was super responsive. Operator room was overall the same as the Kubota for me, but the JD chair was much nicer on the JD and I could 'raise' it higher and give me more leg room. The DST controls were also placed a bit further from the chair = more leg room for me with my legs than the Kubota. Fit and finish on the JD was what I expected of the JD = solid and refined for a ute tractor.

Orange Dealer: is about 25 minutes from me and a small local but highly rated and customer focused dealership. Transportation if required to the shop is on me. Dealer was very knowledgeable and small town super friendly what can we do for you, get or price etc. walking about and spending a good bit of time and talking to folks - dealer has the indications of having their stuff together. Most orders etc due to size will be required for any parts - week to 2 weeks parts dependent.
Kubota rig high level: Engine was responsive, DST was smooth but not as smooth in engagement as the JD, especially right from a dead stop. Hydraulics had some 'hesitation' at lower RPMs, went away at 2000k and above. The low/med/high on the test rig did NOT play nice. Shifting between the speeds was at best chance and a guess and frustrating. I can't imagine this is 'normal' for big orange, but I wouldn't own that rig until someone fixed it and...I drove another one to make sure it isn't a trend (side note on the JD, the L/M/H selector was smooth, positive and what it should be). Im guessing someone needs to roll up their sleeves on the Kubota demo rig I drove. I could easily get used to the treadle DST control, but in just the 15 min or so operating both, the JD was without question quicker for me and more natural, and the Kubota DST peddle was closer to the 'chair', requiring me to pull my knee in much closer, giving a bit more cramped feel to the operator station. Not a deal killer, just an observation. Both had tilt wheels.

Both rigs are without question great rigs and would do 150% more than I will ever ask of them. Resale in our area for this size from what I have seen puts the JD a step higher but that gap is closing.
Trying to compare dealers is like minor league to big league in terms of size and volume. It is what it is. All indications are that either want your business and will back it up. I do like the zero cost transport on any warranty work if ever required - don't need to worry about a $150 delivery fee + the possible $100 hour seat time for the mechanic to come out and get it/troubleshoot it etc to get it loaded then back to the shop seat time - it all adds up and while I don't want or 'expect' either to have an issue, been around heavy junk for 40+ years now and they will all break, not if, just when and if you get one that was built on a Friday before a long weekend, well sucks to be you as you might have a hanger queen.

The Kubota trans selector was worrisome to say the least. I KNOW this isn't normal, but then, it shouldn't be on the lot in that condition. Very serious....... finding L or M or neutral between was like playing the lottery.

Timing isn't critical, but the longer I wait the less I get get done before the new year. The tractor right now won't be paying the bills (yet) so its not roof over my head essential.

Kubota - I was informed that K is going into the end of year inventory at HQ and no shipments for 2 weeks, then they ship based on the date the order was placed from Georgia out to Western Washington = maybe before thanksgiving, but with end of year specials/financing/zero downs, may have a lot of orders and with it being a smaller dealer maybe in December....

JD - 12 dealers in their network in Washington state have a few 4052r he could get down and have the rig at the house (with all the 3 points, rear hydro installed etc) 2 weeks max, most likely sooner.

Again, I would own and smile with either tearing up dirt at the fort....
I didn't expect the price to be this close from everything I have read, that surprised me 100%. Honestly If I do apples to apples the JD is cheaper, and you have to get insurance on the Kubota if you use their financing and the Kubota insurance they have (if your insurance won't cover ag equipment) adds about $5k to the price over the term of the loan, JD does not require that and makes the JD cheaper by $3-4k.

decisions, decisions decision.

with everything I have read here and other forums, dealership dealership dealership is a KEY consideration.
K is closer, JD is much more fuller service and size/scale to be responsive. K is 25 from the house, JD 45. So...only talking 20 min different between the two.

AAAGGGGGHHHHHH what do I do?:eek:
LOL:laughing:

Scott

Dirt Work? The TLB's from Kubota are the way to go. PS the TLB can do farm stuff too, just not as well as an Ag. tractor.

Darn, that Kubota insurance used to be a good deal? Price seems to have risen a lot.
Still going strong:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/89163-busy-wife-weekend-21.html

Last edited:
   / Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #4  
   / Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #5  
As you said... Parts is parts. A broken machine does no work. As for dealer, I don't bleed green but I do like being able to get parts from many different places. Dealer, E-bay, aftermarket, breaker yard, etc. Deere is well represented.

You might also check if another sector Deere dealer is closer to you. I buy many parts from a near-by Construction dealer instead of going to the Ag or L&G. I have a machine from each sector

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #6  
I think both machines are good. I have green and orange. The biggest thing kubota has is the KTAC insurance which is awesome. Yes it's more expensive but here's my experience with deeres insurance. I hit a stump with my old mx7 shredder. Brought it in and they totaled it. Dealer said that's good, can be bought back cheap and still used. Well they changed their policy and now everything goes to copart auctions. It was gone for good. Now since I had a note on the tractor, shredder and loader and had only paid on it for about 18 months, they send the check to Deere financial. Side note, when I bought the tractor, I wrote a check for 5k. Now once Deere takes out what they think the amount owed on the shredder was I get a check for $500 to replace it with. It was a $4k mower and I'm given $500. Ended up buying a slightly used mx8 off Craigslist and paid cash $4200 for it. If I didn't have cash or money in the bank I would've had to get a separate note to cover the new shredder. Seems idiotic to me but I understand Deere needs to protect their collateral. However, it seems like a flawed system

Brett

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #7  
From reading your post sounds to me that you already have your answer.

/ Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT?
From reading your post sounds to me that you already have your answer.

I wish
LOL
the local dealer, while smaller, services a big area and is VERY customer centric.
We moved away from crowded areas N.E of Seattle to be rural and away, and if it makes sense ...... Support those smaller businesses around us.
The detailed info on the HST and throttle controls was unknown to me - with my dirt and loader work focus - that’s a new BIG consideration
Why I posted here, learn from everyone the stuff I have missed.
Scott

Last edited:
   / Tractor selection - think Im down to two....JD or big Orange - NOW WHAT? #10  
I agree with the post above on the Kubota insurance. Everything you buy in the package, any brand implements, are covered by the insurance too. The insurance does not depreciate either. Anything happens, fire flood tornado you wreck it etc and everything is covered for the amount you paid on it. The insurance is one of the reasons my new tractor is orange.