eBay/Craigslist Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist

/ Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
3000 Ford Dover 7.png

3000 Ford Dover 5.jpg

3000 Ford Dover 2.jpg
Not popping to full size.

3000 Ford Dover 3.jpg
Not popping to full size.

I backed up and lost all of my long post so here it goes again from the CL ad.

ALL ORIGINAL SHED KEPT
None Nicer
Vented Hood, After market Power Seering that works & lasts, Ford's gave constant trouble
With one remote double valve
Spin out wheels
Excellent Tires
Lights work
No leaks, very clean & tight
Must see to appreciate

Posting again just to save my current work and will post more.

Photo of serial number.
3000 ford serial.jpeg

The blue rear fenders raises a question for me. I thought they were all a gray like color. It as the canister oil filter and somewhere in the wee hours last night I read that meant 1965-1969 era.

It seems to be a heavier tractor than the gas and diesel 3000's that I looked at yesterday. They had CAT 1 hitches and our has the removeable balls to make it Cat 1 or Cat 2 on the fly which was another deal closer as we have most of the equipment setup for CAT 2 to use with the 265 MF.

Any thoughts or input in dating our NEW tractor would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist #2  
NICE 3000

The hood ( vents) and grille suggest a 1965-1967, 1968 and newer have the newer flat faced grille

/ Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist
Thanks sd455dan. The seller who is 70 years old and grew up on a farm in the region stressed the vents denoted age. I guess it being a 65-67 will cut out some guessing about the serial/production numbers. Dad bought a used gas 3 cylinder 4000 in about 1971 or 1972 and I think it had the vents and we were told it was a mid 60's model.

Do you know if blue rear fenders could have perhaps been OEM in those years?

What about the heavy lift arms that takes either Cat 1 or Cat 2 balls that clip in that I did not see on the new years of Ford 3000's that I looked at?

/ Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist #4  
Mine had original paint and the fenders were definitely a light grey.

The manual mentioned the cat 2 balls and I tried to get some from the dealer that sold the tractor new, parts guy looked at me like I was nuts, and said they were no longer available.

If your tractor came with the cat 2 arms/balls, did you end up with bigger rear tires to? Ford and the dealers offered quite a few tire rim choices. Mine was equipped with 14.9x28 R1 6 plies which was nice for pulling a disc or box blade.
Looks like you got a very well cared for tractor:thumbsup:

/ Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist #5  
That looks like my '65. Super tractor. You'll like the PS. Your pump must be an inline which, per the manual was the normal for those engines; mine has the distributor pump. Simms as I recall is the inline. If so, when you change your engine oil you need to change the oil in the pump sump too. Get an I and T serv manual at your NH dealer and see how it's done.

/ Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist #6  
From the oil filter size you can tell it's a earlier 65-68.
To me that is the best series Ford Tractors built for Size to power the only weak point in my book was Brakes (2000 and 3000) the 4000 series had the best of all with the addition of wet brakes but the were a little on the heavy side.
Looks like you got you a nice Tractor there!!!!

Thanks everyone. The guy just dropped it off down at the main road and I drove it up the hill to the house. I came up the steep hill in 6th I think and it sounded good so I think the engine must have fair compression.I got a tarp over it (thankful for the down draft exhaust system) before I had to leave for the day but I think the rain is about gone for a few days. My best guess at the photo of the serial numbers is it is a 1966 or 15 years younger than me. Our daughter wanted to get it and learn how to drive it so I expect she will put her name on it in time. Later.

Mine had original paint and the fenders were definitely a light grey.

The manual mentioned the cat 2 balls and I tried to get some from the dealer that sold the tractor new, parts guy looked at me like I was nuts, and said they were no longer available.

If your tractor came with the cat 2 arms/balls, did you end up with bigger rear tires to? Ford and the dealers offered quite a few tire rim choices. Mine was equipped with 14.9x28 R1 6 plies which was nice for pulling a disc or box blade.
Looks like you got a very well cared for tractor:thumbsup:

No the rears are the stock 13.6?? I think. When it came this AM I checked the new Cat 2 balls that I got at TSC yesterday and they fit well. It did come with heavy duty lift arm stabilizers like pictured in the ad below.

FORD 281 291 391 4 461 TRACTOR RH RIGHT STABILIZER STAB KIT | eBay

Thanks for your comment and I think the 51 year old tractor has been well care for based on what I have seen so far but will get some time with it tomorrow afternoon hopefully to see how it handles the weight of our very heavy duty 6' bush hog. First thing I plan to do to change the oil.

/ Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist #9  
No the rears are the stock 13.6?? I think. When it came this AM I checked the new Cat 2 balls that I got at TSC yesterday and they fit well. It did come with heavy duty lift arm stabilizers like pictured in the ad below.

FORD 281 291 391 4 461 TRACTOR RH RIGHT STABILIZER STAB KIT | eBay

Thanks for your comment and I think the 51 year old tractor has been well care for based on what I have seen so far but will get some time with it tomorrow afternoon hopefully to see how it handles the weight of our very heavy duty 6' bush hog. First thing I plan to do to change the oil.

My 3000 came with Cat 2 lift arms which were thicker and longer than the Cat 1s on my 2000. Figured PO put them on. Usually Cat 2 starts up around 60 hp. My 65 is a Cat 2 machine.

Tires come from 12.4 row crop, 13.6 on a 12 x 28 wheel which serves both sizes and 14.9 x 24 if you want the fat one for industrial or turf. I put 13.6s on both Fords when I got them.

Last edited:
   / Bought a Ford 3000 Diesel Today off Craigslist #10  
Those old Fords are GREAT tractors. Very nice, congratulations !