Comparison Let's try this again.....

/ Let's try this again..... #31  
I don't consider high hours an issue if I know the history. I've got an old 83 model 4610 SU with 2950 hours that uses very little to no oil and has very little to no blow by. I am the third owner and at 58 years old I doubt I will wear it out. Hope to give it to my son when I pass.

If you want a new tractor with warranty that is what I would get. I personally would prefer a heavier utility class used if in good working order and well maintained.

/ Let's try this again..... #32  
I don't consider high hours an issue if I know the history. I've got an old 83 model 4610 SU with 2950 hours that uses very little to no oil and has very little to no blow by. I am the third owner and at 58 years old I doubt I will wear it out. Hope to give it to my son when I pass.

If you want a new tractor with warranty that is what I would get. I personally would prefer a heavier utility class used if in good working order and well maintained.

EXCELLENT ADVICE!!
With new,.... you get DPF/regen & electronics gizmos that only a dealer can fix.
In ten years, people will be reluctant to buy used tractors built with that stuff.

/ Let's try this again..... #33  
Worked on farms in Huntingdon Co. for quite a few years and a characteristic of many are those mountain goat hills. I would never consider R4 tires for that terrain. We have some real good Kioti dealers in central Pa. and also Mahindra. (Hoovers in Mifflinburg for Kioti and Hilly Ridge for Mahindra).
Check around for competitive pricing.

/ Let's try this again..... #34  
Some good tractors there at tractor house, but a few with high hours and I do need a hydro drive since others will be using it. If i go used it has to be worth it. Ck3510, 4010, or tym 394 hat with fell and filled tires all under 20k

Be very careful when comparing different brands/models. A very good source for specific information is TractorData.com - information on all makes and models of tractors Plug in the brand/model and you'll get most of the particulars in regards to HP, weight, tire size, etc. At a glance I'd say the "most" tractor listed above is the L6060. That's a LOT of tractor. Study the specs before you buy anything. Peruse the lots and educate yourself. The difference between a CUT and a Utility is night and day. Try to not get too stuck on the HST. You sacrifice a lot of power productivity when you do that. Especially in the larger CUTs. A Hydraulic Shuttle tractor is very, very easy to run.

/ Let's try this again..... #35  
I have many friends with 50 to 350 acre properties. Most of them have 2wd tractors to maintain roads and bush hogging. Some have 35 to 40 hp 4wd tractors. All of them have old tractors. They are too tight to buy something new. Most of them also have someone farming their place. They all seem to get by with no problems.

I just bought 16 acres that I am planning on building on. Currently, I have a TC40. It is and has been a great tractor and I plan on keeping it forever. However, when I do eventually buy a second tractor it will be in the 50 to 70 hp range. There are many times I wish I had more size and power. For your 45 acres that from what you have stated you plan on doing on it, I would be looking for as much tractor as your budget warrants. The only down size I see to a bigger utility type tractor would be if you plan on hauling it a lot. You will need a good sized trailer and heavy-duty truck to pull it. That would probably be the only reason I see for looking at a smaller tractor. I would also not be scared to look at other states for tractors for sale. I bought mine brand new in another state for thousands cheaper than my current location. I plan on doing the same thing with my next tractor if I find a good deal. I do not mind driving a long way for a good deal.

So, either way you go (smaller, bigger, used, new) just having a nice piece of equipment to help with your chores will be nice. If I were rich I would have a mini-ex, track loader, sub-compact and a utility tractor!!! Like everyone says on here all the time " there is no do it all, perfect tractor" for everything. Good luck with your search.

/ Let's try this again..... #36  
I have 20 steep acres, half in brush half forest. When upsizing tractors I ended up with a 37hp Branson 3725, another Korean make. The 20/25 series Bransons are available with three different R4 tire/wheel combinations. The middle size ones normally come on the 3725 but I got the smaller ones, with 2" spacers added to the rear. The smaller tires lower the center of gravity, making it more stable on slopes. The tradeoff is less ground clearance. I just take care when operating. It hasn't been a problem for me.

I liked the fit and finish of the Branson compared to the TYM built Mahindra- much closer to Kubota level. The Branson's built heavy- about 4000 lbs with loader and before loaded tires. It's got a tight turning radius which is important to me. The equivalent Kubota cost 8-10k more, that is a lot of implements.

Eric,

You're a too light in your weight estimate. The 3725CH weighs 4200 lbs (4195) as a bare tractor. Can't find the spec on the loader weight, but I believe it was ~1200 lbs? My 3725CH, with loader, bucket, and 6' box blade, with filled rear tires (R4's) weighs 7100 lbs. That's weighed on a CAT scale.

Branson Tractors - 3725CH

/ Let's try this again..... #37  
Not pointing at the OP. Just a general perception of TBN members thinking. Hypothetical situation......

A used "xyz" brand tractor like I want is $16,000. I can buy a new one just like it for $20,000. Why would I spend $16,000 on a used one when I can get a new one for $20,000???

Answer: Because you are spending 80% of the money required to buy new!!!! Saving 20% for a tractor with low hours!!! No brainer to me.

I think it generally comes down to financing availability. Manufacturers know that. Thus they offer "0% financing". They make their money on the inflated new price. Pretty good game they are playing!!!! :)

Back on track. Be aware of engine HP versus PTO HP. Some tractors have a huge spread between the two. Especially HST tractors. My Brother had an L3240 Kubota HST. All it did was aggravate me when trying to run a 6' cutter on hilly terrain.

I'm with Gary on the R1s. I use the snot out of my tractors in timber terrain. I ruined a front R1 on my Kubota recently. I can't say if I'd had R4s that they would have survived any better. Traction is no comparison. My previous tractor had R4s. Worthless in timber when wet/muddy.

Good luck with your choices and keep us posted!!!

Well for me, I bought new because that "used $16K" tractor in your example is really going for $18.5K here. People are out of their minds on used tractor prices. You ask brand new tractor price for your used tractor? Fine, ask whatever you want, $1 million if you can get someone to pay it. But faced with unreasonable sellers, most of us will buy new every time.

When I can buy brand new, not have to worry about what some cowboy has tried to do with their tractor, or what kind of "Jethro Engineering" fix they have done, and get a full (and extended) warranty out the door? Yeah, I'll pay the extra 5% for new every time.

/ Let's try this again..... #38  
Well for me, I bought new because that "used $16K" tractor in your example is really going for $18.5K here. People are out of their minds on used tractor prices. You ask brand new tractor price for your used tractor? Fine, ask whatever you want, $1 million if you can get someone to pay it. But faced with unreasonable sellers, most of us will buy new every time.

When I can buy brand new, not have to worry about what some cowboy has tried to do with their tractor, or what kind of "Jethro Engineering" fix they have done, and get a full (and extended) warranty out the door? Yeah, I'll pay the extra 5% for new every time.

Wow, abused used tractors are selling for 95% of new price???

/ Let's try this again..... #39  
Wow, abused used tractors are selling for 95% of new price???

I invite you to show me where I said that.

I said USED tractors are selling for 95% of new. And yes, here they are. Maybe not in every market. But here, used is almost the same price as brand new.

I also said that with a used tractor, you have no idea how it was treated, or maintained.

But by all means, feel free to hyperbole.

/ Let's try this again..... #40  
I invite you to show me where I said that.

I said USED tractors are selling for 95% of new. And yes, here they are. Maybe not in every market. But here, used is almost the same price as brand new.

I also said that with a used tractor, you have no idea how it was treated, or maintained.

But by all means, feel free to hyperbole.

Post #37. Last sentence. :)