Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Workmaster 50, Ford 4610 SU

Default Re: Let's try this again.....

Of the three brands listed I prefer Kioti and LS over TYM. HP is important along with weight and wheel base. The longer the more stable but less nimble. Try to get a tractor that weighs close to 4K# with loaded rears. All three of the brands you listed will get you there. I would still look at kubota, Deere, New Holland, and others to compare overall price and support. What is your max budget? Start from there.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3725H

I have 20 steep acres, half in brush half forest. When upsizing tractors I ended up with a 37hp Branson 3725, another Korean make. The 20/25 series Bransons are available with three different R4 tire/wheel combinations. The middle size ones normally come on the 3725 but I got the smaller ones, with 2" spacers added to the rear. The smaller tires lower the center of gravity, making it more stable on slopes. The tradeoff is less ground clearance. I just take care when operating. It hasn't been a problem for me.

I liked the fit and finish of the Branson compared to the TYM built Mahindra- much closer to kubota level. The Branson's built heavy- about 4000 lbs with loader and before loaded tires. It's got a tight turning radius which is important to me. The equivalent Kubota cost 8-10k more, that is a lot of implements.

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

I would check with Messicks in Pa.,they will have lots of choices and maybe a good used unit.I also would advise at least 40 H.P.,4WD,FEL and R1's(for the woods and conditions of the North-East).I run a 6ft.bush-hog with a 44 H.P.tractor,and a 5ft.on our 35 HP.

Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by ericm979 View Post
    When upsizing tractors I ended up with a 37hp Branson 3725, another Korean make. The 20/25 series Bransons are available with three different R4 tire/wheel combinations. The middle size ones normally come on the 3725 but I got the smaller ones, with 2" spacers added to the rear. The smaller tires lower the center of gravity, making it more stable on slopes. The tradeoff is less ground clearance.
    Interesting.

What were your three rear tire diameter choices? I realize fronts would be proportionally sized for 4-WD.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

In order to have any kind of traction with R4 tires in the woods, you would need to put chains on them. R1 tires provide plenty of traction and contrary to popular TBN belief, they will haul a heavy load as well as R4 tires. The only flat tire I have ever had has been with R4 tires. True they usually have more plies than R1 but you can special order R1 tires in heavy tread and plies (sometimes called Rice and Cane tires) which are just a puncture resistant as R4 tires but have the heavy bar tread that resemble a check mark rather than a straight bar.

50 HP is a good frame size to work with, not too big to be obnoxious in the tight spots, but large enough to handle the heavy bush hogs & heavy FEL loads even with R1 tires.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

I forgot to mention that R1 tires will wear out faster than R4 if you use them on hard surfaces a lot.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Branson 3725H

Quote Originally Posted by jeff9366 View Post
    What were your three rear tire diameter choices?
    They came with 420/70x24 R4 rears and I got 43x16-20 R4. I can't find the spec for the largest optional size.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility

I'll second the Branson's, they are heavier than most for their size and several of them have multi speed pto a feature that I use frequently the 540E (780rpm ).
    I will use it on my generator and quite often on my brush hog lets me throttle down to 1750 engine rpm and have a full 540 on the pto.
    As far as tires I favor R1's and bolt on wheel weights, I got away from liquid loading tires 20 years ago, the ridiculous cost, time and getting
    someone out to work on one, even having the pump and barrels to do it yourself it will ruin at least one day.

Tractor
    1953 jubilee

So I drove a tym 394 and a kioti 4010. Ls guy didn't have any in stock to drive. Tym said they bought out Branson. Can't go over 20 k or a nx 4510 would be the ticket. So I can't compare the feel of the ls. Both tym and kioti dealers were within 30 miles and both I trust would take good care of me. Leaning toward R1s as it will never be on hard surface. Thinking 3rd function to run a grapple up front. Current brush hog is a 6 foot squealer. Seems at least medium duty but not sure.

Tractor
    Bobcat ct 225

A 40hp tractor should spin a 6 foot cutter fine. Lot of people do it with a 35 hp tractor. Get the heaviest tractor you can. The wheel spacing is very important if you have hills. The wider the better. Some wheels can be flipped to make them wider. I have a Kioti(Bobcat). It is very nimble and comfortable but it is not great on hills.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast