ZTRs vs riding mowers

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #1  

gdurham

I will keep this as short as possible. My 83 year old dad is moving in with us. I own 4 acres. My dad has been using a riding mower for 30 years to mow his 3.5 acres. Could my dad, (83 year old West Texas farmer) be comfortable on a ZTR mower? His only health problem is a bad hip. I am purchasing a new mower, just dont know between a ZTR or regular riding mower.

Thanks in advance.

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Could my dad . . . be comfortable on a ZTR mower? )</font>

I doubt that any of us can give you a valid answer because we just don't know your dad. It depends on his mental and physical condition, as well as his personal preferences. When I moved my parents' mobile home onto our place, my dad had been accustomed to mowing with a cheap riding mower. I thought he'd really like the Cub Cadet I had at the time, and he did some of the mowing, but he wouldn't stop for a break until I told him to, and then he had no idea how to restart and machine without help (Alzheimers). /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #3  
Bird has a good point, and I would make this one. A ZTR mower can be really fast. The controls for turning are really a learning curve for any new user (push left arm to go right etc.). If you feel your father has full mental capacity to adjust to the difference, he's probably going to be fine after a little break-in learning on the ZTR. I will say that my dealer's 82y.o. mother uses a ZTR around her house. However, if your father has any memory deficits, I wouldn't recommend he use the ZTR as he may get confused on which way to push the controls and may end up throwing himself off the mower. He certainly doesn't need another broken bone. John

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #4  
I'll chime in

My FIL has terribly arthritic hips and can't straddle his riding mower, so he rides it SIDE SADDLE /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

This summer, he's FINALLY taken to let his grandson help some (and earn some $$) FIL is roughly 82/83

I've been debating on getting a ZTR because I think he'd be perfectly capable (in HIS case) of figuring out how to use it and use it effectively. Most importantly, he'd be able to stretch his legs out straight & keep them crossed at the ankle (only way he can sit)

I presume you know this, but you can get a ZTR with mower deck height hand operated, foot operated or hydraulic. My personal choice, was the hydraulic, so that FIL would not have to use feet/legs for anything other than getting on/off.

Bad thing is... I dont much have the $$ to buy roughly 6/8,000 machine for cutting grass and though HE can... he's to.... uh.... ahem....

Frugal?

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #5  
I'm 43 and have a ZTR for 2 years and love it. Quick, fast and mows beautifully. My mother (72) needed a new mower for her place. I wanted to get her a ZTR, but she wasn't able to get on mine easily. With the ZTR, she needed to step up and over the mower deck and she didn't have anything to hang on to and steady her balance. I ended up getting a rear mower deck for a Case DX 29, and added a step. She can now get on the step and steady herself with the steering wheel and handle on the fender. Have your dad try out a ZTR before buying. Most dealers will have a demo model to try.

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #6  
The ZTR's are easily learnes and very easy to operate after some practice. I traded my 60 inch ZTR for a compact tractor, because I like tractors, and neede to do more than mow, not to mention I prefer more seat time as opposed to less with the ZTR. They can be controlled to a fraction of an inch relatively easily, and best of all, they typically can ofer a smoother ride. I had a hydraulic deck, and a very nice suspension seat. The ride was very smooth....better than the CUT I have now.

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #7  
I've had fun pulling ZTR's out of sticky situations with a tractor... always brought a smile to my face to pull out a
brand new 7000$ ZTRmower with a 50 year old ford that I paid 2000$ for.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I just like tractors tooo much to get a ztr... In fact.. i think when my deck goes out on my riding mower.. i think I'll tractorize it with a hyd lift on back, and maybee a belt driven pto for light things.. like my 3pt spreader/seeder..

Soundguy

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #8  
They can be tricky to get on and off, but a modified step helps. I'm 77/ arthritus and they are a heck of a lot easier than a rider, just takes some getting use to. bcs

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #9  
Just a thought. Old guys usually like old (and well built) things. Get him a old John Deere 140H1 or 140H3. They are classic, tough, easy to use and can be bought on Ebay for under a grand in good shape. Get him a hitch and a plow and let him have at a plot of land for a garden. It should put a smile on his face and make him feel useful to help 'earn his keep'.

/ ZTRs vs riding mowers #10  
We just added a ZTR to our tractor family this year. Seemed easy to learn to drive, and though they can go fast, it is easy to go slow. My wife enjoys mowing with it. Also in our rural community we have a older fellow who can't drive, mid to late 70's I'd guess. This year he got a little ZTR to ride around on. He goes to the store and all around on this ztr.
Maybe go to a dealer and let your dad try one out.

Moon of Ohio