Comparison KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #1  

LiveDog

Bronze Member
CentralFL/SequatchieValleyTN/CoastalNH/SouthernME
Tractor
KUBOTA MX5400DT w/ 3rd function forward and 2 extra rear hydraulics, ballasted industrial tires...
Hello everyone... I am new to the forum (picture coming soon)... Nice to have such a concentrated plethora of experts... There is NO substitute for experience and no gift greater than wisdom...

Assuming both these tractors cost the same new (KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150), which would you buy and why?

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #2  
Personally, I'd choose the Kubota, mostly because of their history. I like companies with long track records that build their tractors from the ground up, including their engines. The name on the tractor is actually the company that built it. In Japan, that's Kubota and Yanmar, both 100 year-old companies.

LS builds a good tractor. The company was started in 1975 in Korea originally as part of Hyundai, and in conjunction with diesel manufacturers Yanmar and Mitsubishi of Japan.

I believe LS has equipped their tractors with Mitsubishi, Shibaura, and Yanmar engines and as of 2015 started building their own engines. So LS also builds some of their tractor models from the ground up, but only recently. People on here say they're great tractors, and I believe them. But ask me for my personal preference, I'd choose the 100 year-old Japanese company over the 40 year-old Korean company.

Last edited:
   / KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150
Thanks for YOUR input... I tend to agree regarding Kubota... I was not aware that LS might be building their tractors 'from the ground up' as you suggested and thought they were still using major components (IE, engines) from various suppliers... They appear to be nice tractors at a good price but Kubota also has some VERY competitive promotions/package-deals...

The LS comes with a LOT of features that are 'extra' on the KUBOTA but the KUBOTA is a legacy machine with 4 cyl vs the 3 cyl LS (for the same/similar HP/rating/size, this is also a BIGGY in my mind)...

Further, I was under the impression that KUBOTA tractors were assembled in USA (GA) but notice on this forum that they may be assembled elsewhere ("Thailand")... Is this fact/fiction/hear-say? Exactly WHERE are KUBOTA tractors assembled (not that it makes too much difference, but for MY edification)...?

I suppose that you Guys have beat this subject to death but again, for my edification, is (not) LS the same as New Holland?

Last edited:
   / KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #4  
Have you tested both? I've been doing similar comparisons lately. All the tractors I've tested seem "similar", with the biggest differences being small things like control placements etc. Except the LS XR41XX's. That thing purrs like a kitten and has a great feel overall running it. I was impressed. I also like the large front tires. The LS is a great tractor as far as I can tell, has more features and is significantly cheaper.
I was leaning toward Kubota hard till I looked into LS. I haven't bought one yet, but the LS is on the top of my list.

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #5  
We own three Kubota's but between those two I think LS wins.Nothing wrong with a three cylinder diesel(I have owned both a 3 and 4).If I remember right the L4701DT is assembled in Thailand most others in Georgia.The Kubota is only 8 speed straight gear,the LS is a 16 speed shuttle shift and has rear remotes standard.LS does build some models for New Holland(higher priced).

/ KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #6  
The LS is a 3 cylinder turbo and the Kubota is a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder, both Tier 4 emissions, if that makes a difference to you.

3 cylinder engines are technically better balanced than 4 cylinders, but the average Joe would probably never notice.

Appreciate the info... I will gladly trade the 3 cylinder/turbo/technically better balanced for the 4 cylinder/bigger displacement/natural aspiration...

Below is an attempt to make a quick/succinct comparison (I tried to fashion a side-by-side chart but apparently not supported here [show me how])... Please don't crucify me if I made an error, though I realize it is important to be correct in these matters... I will be happy to correct/edit any mistake(s)... Info is taken directly from OEM publications...

LS XR4150 $24,750 w/ FEL
Gross HP 50
PTO HP 43-40
Cu In Disp 114.7
B/S ?
Torque ?
# Cyl 3 Turbo
Trans 16 f/r SShuttle
3 Pt Cat 1 2,755
Fuel 10.6 gal. Side Tank
Hyd Pump 8.2 gpm
Length OA 133” with bumper
Wheelbase 73.2
Width 62.5
Tires IND/R4
Weight 3,689
FEL 2,713
RRemote 2 Pairs
Hyd Position/Draft
Seat Deluxe Adj
3 Pt LL Extendable
OEM LS/Et al

KUBOTA L4701DT $24,200 w/ FEL
Net HP 44.8
PTO HP 39.3
Cu In Disp 148.5
B/S 3.4” x 4”
Torque 107.8 ft. lbs.
# Cyl 4 NA
Trans 8 f/r SShuttle
3 Pt Cat 1 2,870
Fuel 13.5 Top Tank
Hyd Pump 7.8 gpm
Length OA 122.8”
Wheelbase 72.8
Width 62.4
Tires IND/R4
Weight 3296
FEL 2,870
RRemote 0
Hyd Position/0 Draft
Seat Standard Adj
3 Pt LL Fixed
OEM Kubota

Last edited:
   / KUBOTA L4701DT vs LS XR4150 #9  
Did you already buy the Kubota? It is listed in your profile.

Did you already buy the Kubota? It is listed in your profile.

I SERIOUSLY considered/researched/priced/compared John Deere/Kioti/Mahindra/LS/New Holland/Kubota (new/used)... I now have a deposit on a new L4701DT... Delivery/payment-in-full expected this Tues... Ultimately I was more impressed with the KUBOTA because of its long history, the fact they produce the ENTIRE machine, their engines are renown, I liked the larger displacement 4 cylinder/naturally-aspirated (vs a 3-cyl turbo) in this size/rating, Kubota has some excellent/bang-for-the-buck promotions/package-deals going, the L4701DT seems to be a near-perfect size/rating/cost for my application, Kubota has a vast network of dealers, I think Kubota is doing a fair amount of assembly in the USA, resale value should be good, etc. I will continue to research/monitor all the machines/implements that I considered to gauge/qualify my choice(s)/decision(s)...

I have not yet made a final decision/purchase on several implements (too many OEMs/sizes/models/options to discuss at this point)... I am going to run the tractor for a bit and then decide on more implements... I am still doing a LOT of 'homework' in this dept... I HAVE purchased with the KUBOTA L4701 DT a LA765 FEL/6' bucket, LP QA15 Quick-Attach, LP RB2672 Blade, IND/R4 tires (filled), 3rd-function front hydraulics...

Last edited: