Comparison Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine

/ Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine #1  

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
We were getting a little off track in another thread so it was time to start a new one - what is the best tractor engine ever?

Even though I am an IH 436 fan I am betting there will be a big argument between the 466 engines - JD and IH. Let's hear them roar!

/ Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine #2  
The IH 466 stock and warmed up.
But for a field working engine the 8.3 cummins in the CIH Magnum series is hard to beat.

/ Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine #3  
For under 30 HP engines, I really like the Mitsubishi S3L2. If you do not overheat them or dust them they live on forever. We have sold hundreds of tractors with that engine, perhaps over a thousand, and have never seen a failure short of abuse. Kubota and Yanmar make very fine small engines as well.

/ Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine #4  
I like the 4.5L Deere. Many applications (tractors, generators, marine, construction) which means parts are everywhere, and they are easy to work on. I just did an inframe rebuild on my dozer and with 6700hrs the internals looked and measured great.

IMG_1203.JPG

/ Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine #5  
Best diesel engine I've run across is the Isuzu, probably about 20 hp (12.5 kw), in our backup generator. Thing starts without any diesel rattle. Sounds more like a newer VW TDI than any tractor diesel engine I've ever heard. No longevity data, less than 100 hours on it so far.

Think one of the tractor makers use Isuzu diesels.

Ralph

/ Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine #6  
Air cooled, it has to be Deutz or SLH... (they are also oil cooled)

Water cooled, hands down it's Sisu!!

SR

/ Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine #7  
I worked in the marine industry for a while where everyone swore by their Yanmar diesels. Stories of circumnavigating the globe and 7500hrs on their Yanmar's without ever seeing a mechanic weren't uncommon.

Honestly, I think all the modern tractor diesels are pretty darn good and will probably out last me with proper maintenance.

Last edited:
   / Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine #8  
Maybe should have sub categories based on HP ranges.

I like the Deere 4.5L too.

And the Yanmar in my 4310 deere has been awesome.

IH and Deere 466 long 6 cylinders have great histories.

/ Engines - What's Your Favorite Tractor Engine
I worked in the marine industry for a while where everyone swore by their Yanmar diesels. Stories of circumnavigating the globe and 7500hrs on their Yanmar's without ever seeing a mechanic weren't uncommon.

Honestly, I think all the modern tractor diesels are pretty darn good and will probably out last me with proper maintenance.

I would hope so. My nephews have a JD 4450 (mid 1980's 466 engine) that they put 22,500 hours on it before it was overhauled and it now has over 24,000 on it. They still use it everyday winter and summer.