L3301 + Z400 ZT mower, best specs for BH, FEL, brush hog?

/ L3301 + Z400 ZT mower, best specs for BH, FEL, brush hog? #1  

bluelou212

Tractor
Kubota BX2670, L3901 TLB
After getting some firm quotes from the local dealer I'm leaning toward doing the following all at the same time:
1) Trade in my 1 year old BX2670
2) Buy L3100 4WD w/HST, FEL, BH77 hoe w/12" bucket+thumb, (to add: brush hog, possibly grapple)
--FWIW, the B2650, L2501, and L3301 were too close in price to NOT get the L3301.
3) Buy Kubota Z400 60" ZT mower

Questions:
1) brush hog width? Dealer says 60" to match tire width? But, I'm more concerned about pulling the deck up a 10%+ grade. Any thoughts on this?
2) mechanical or hydraulic thumb? (I'm looking to use as a grapple to move fieldstone)
3) what size FEL?, Quoted as LA525 w/66" bucket? (I'm thinking possibly a narrower bucket. I want more force vs capacity)
4) Any opinions on the Z400 ZT on hills, overall performance?

Background:
Here are the jobs that I need the tractor and ZT for and the terrain type:
Terrain: 30 acres of mountainside with trails, of which, 2 acres requires finish mowing and 1 acre requires bush-hogging.

Uses:
In addition to the finish and rough mowing, we have about 1 mile of fieldstone walls that we've been reclaiming for landscaping uses around the property, plus other hardscaping and gardening projects.

/ L3301 + Z400 ZT mower, best specs for BH, FEL, brush hog? #2  
L 3301, great choice, be sure to load tires and add wheel weights. Consider gear drive for the terrain, I love mine... I also have a Kubota mower, it's an animal and mow's faster and better than any finish mower behind the tractor. Enjoy...

/ L3301 + Z400 ZT mower, best specs for BH, FEL, brush hog?
Steppenwolfe.
Thx for your reply. What are you using your various tractors for? What attachments are you using?
Do you think the L3901 is _that_ much better for brushhogging vs L3301? Or, the L3301 is capable enough?

Also, any thoughts on brush hog, thumb (mech vs hydraulic), FEL bucket size, grapple?

This looks like it could be a fit:
RCF2:cool: & RCF272 Series Rotary Cutters | Land Pride

/ L3301 + Z400 ZT mower, best specs for BH, FEL, brush hog? #4  
L3901 would mow faster... L3301 will get it done, no problem, just a bit slower. Look into getting a tooth bar on the bucket, it puts "more force" in a smaller point. I would pass on the backhoe and get the other stuff... What plans did you have for the BH? Could you rent vs. buying?

Teg,
Thx for your reply. Re: BH, I've gotta a couple of hundred tons of fieldstone to move around, trails to maintain, new ones to cut, hardscaping. Id get a bx25 just to get the hoe b/f id get a larger tractor. Thumb is going to be really important, too.

/ L3301 + Z400 ZT mower, best specs for BH, FEL, brush hog? #6  
Steppenwolfe.
Thx for your reply. What are you using your various tractors for? What attachments are you using?
Do you think the L3901 is _that_ much better for brushhogging vs L3301? Or, the L3301 is capable enough?

Also, any thoughts on brush hog, thumb (mech vs hydraulic), FEL bucket size, grapple?

This looks like it could be a fit:
RCF26 & RCF272 Series Rotary Cutters | Land Pride

We have 94 acres at our main house, and 5 at the cabin. All are hilly SW VA mountain acres. The B tractor stays at the cabin, it has a fel and a 5ft landplane for the driveway. My MX is the workhorse for the bigger tasks, 6ft brush hog, chipper, box blade, york rake, forks, and grapple. The 3301 is for lighter work, 5ft finish mower, 5ft bush hog, sprayer, and fertilizer. All have ssqa fel's. I bought the mini ex for trail building and stump removal. All have their uses, but I could probably get by with just the 3301 in a pinch if I had to. Don't be afraid of the 3901 if it is going to be your only tractor. Seriously consider the gear drive, pick up a bit more hp that way.

Sry, I don't even know what a gear drive is. Is that just a standard shift? I'm fine with that if I get more hp.

Well, now we're thinking on keeping the bx2670 (has 60" MMM and wife wants to use it for gardening) and maybe the most powerful L we can get. Hence, the L3901 question.

Btw, first time I've ever seen Voltaire quoted in any chat room : )

/ L3301 + Z400 ZT mower, best specs for BH, FEL, brush hog? #8  
Sry, I don't even know what a gear drive is. Is that just a standard shift? I'm fine with that if I get more hp.

Well, now we're thinking on keeping the bx2670 (has 60" MMM and wife wants to use it for gardening) and maybe the most powerful L we can get. Hence, the L3901 question.

Btw, first time I've ever seen Voltaire quoted in any chat room : )

Gear drive, shuttle shift. I grew up on old timey gear driven tractors, so that is my comfort level. HST is preferred by most, though. Yep... gotta love Voltaire, he suits my sarcastic wit. :D

Gear drive, shuttle shift. I grew up on old timey gear driven tractors, so that is my comfort level. HST is preferred by most, though. Yep... gotta love Voltaire, he suits my sarcastic wit. :D
Steppenwolf,
Thx for the words of wisdom. I think we may keep the bx2670 as a mower and gardening equip for my wife and maybe an L3901 for the bigger stuff. Gear driven doesn't bother me if it gives me better control.

Steppenwolf,
Thx for the words of wisdom. I think we may keep the bx2670 as a mower and gardening equip for my wife and maybe an L3901 for the bigger stuff. Gear driven doesn't bother me if it gives me better control.

I read Candide as part of my minor in French in the mid 80s :)