Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #11  
What is your plan for property and your tractor experience.
LD1 made great suggestion for two tractors.

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #12  
I agree with not going too small.

My brother knows how much I like my BX23 and all the work it has done...

When he bought the farm he needed a tractor and looked at the BX and B series.

I talked him out of it... not that either wouldn't have been a big help.. but his ground is uneven with is much better suited to larger tires...

I have a Deere 110 that I seldom use... it has an awesome backhoe... that said for most of what I need the BX suits me just fine and I keep it inside out of the elements.

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #13  
Hi Everyone,

As far as budget goes, cost is a factor but the cost of buying something too small and replacing it later is my big fear.
Thanks

Al

I'd opt for a fairly new "big as you can get" 4wd with loader, diesel, cab if you are weather sensitive....open station otherwise. I'd say 45-60 hp. You are still in Category 1 implements there and lots are available. Plenty of power to do the tough jobs for what you specified.

Buying used can be risky, but if only a few years old, and buying from a reputable dealer, with the tractor appearing to be well cared for....no obvious signs of a careless previous owner, you are probably good to go and you will get a much better deal. Tractors don't wear out like cars and trucks......many 1940 era tractors in the smaller hp sizes are still around and still pulling their load...N series Fords for a badge.....not suggesting you get one, my suggestion was posted but just to show you that they last. I've been farming for 40 years as a non primary occupation and it wasn't until 2007, after retiring from my day job, did I buy a new one.

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres
Thanks Everyone!

This has been helpful in determining the size range. I spent some time driving the property yesterday and thinking the 45-60 range is definitely where i need to be along with the weight as mentioned earlier. The gravel condition on the driveway was a bit worse than my original thought, even where there is gravel it is pretty thin so salvage of the existing gravel is less of an issue compared to fixing holes, smoothing out the crown and general drive improvement as i'll need to bring in a lot of gravel either way. The road grader type attachments and the land planes look very nice for that, though considering the length of the drive an ongoing maintenance i may not try to do it all with one implement.

The other thing i noticed was i have a few more downed trees (18-20" variety) so will be looking toward implements that can help with that as just dragging with a chain doesn't look as good in light of how many there are.

On the new vs used - i completely agree on the life of equipment. I have roughly 1000 hours on the cummins ISB engine in my pickup and it's barely considered broke in, so if well maintained i can see where a diesel tractor would run forever. The thing that is attractive on new is all the package deals/zero percent financing. I'm going to need a fair number of implements and it looks real attractive so far in the package price

thanks

Al

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #15  
<snip>
As far as budget goes, cost is a factor but the cost of buying something too small and replacing it later is my big fear. I'm open to new or used and I'm pretty good mechanically, but i don't want to buy a project to work on my projects either :)
<snip>

As far as budget goes - budget should cover everything you will spend. ON ANYTHING. If you save a thousand on a tractor that's a thousand you can spend on something else, implements, fuel, vacations.

If you are "pretty good mechanically" you should be able to get a good used machine and maintain it. Maybe I've just been lucky or don't work my tractors hard enough, but since I bought my first tractor, my B7610, in 2009 the ONLY time one has gone to the shop was to have the subframe put on for a backhoe (to get the warranty). Fluids, filters, batteries, FEL cylinder, hoses etc. have been handled by advice on TBN and myself with the manuals.

Your not to far from Barlow's which is an excellent site for quality used tractors. And they deliver all over the country (or at least they used to). Their prices are not bottomline Craigs List but their tractor quality is a lot higher.

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #16  
I noticed I have more downed trees (18-20" variety) so will be looking toward implements that can help with that as just dragging with a chain doesn't look as good in light of how many there are.

Dragging you can move whole tree trunks, even bundles of tree trunks, to a burn pile/pit. Saves chainsaw time/effort/hazard and immediately dulling saw chains on dirty wood.

Other options are with the Loader. Either a grapple or clamp on bucket debris forks of some description. I recommend optional SSQA bucket attachment, which is required for a grapple. Grapple and forks require substantial Three Point Hitch mounted counterbalance.

A grapple makes chainsawing trunks into sections relatively easy. When tree is elevated slightly the chainsaw will not be pinched.

Caution when transporting heavy loads with the FEL is advised. Heavy FEL loads decrease tractor stability ~~~~ then a wheel drops into a hole and the tractor may rollover. You can tow heavier loads with the rear/center drawbar than you can transport safely using the Loader.

Most of us you both the Loader and the rear/center drawbar.

The most important tool for 18" - 22" trees is a high quality chainsaw. I use a commercial grade Stihl MS 261.

BUY ENOUGH TRACTOR​

Attachments

• DSC00023.jpg
    DSC00023.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 87
  • DSC00178.jpg
    DSC00178.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
  • DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
   / Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #17  
I think its going to come down to your money and how much of it you have to spend. If you spent $50,000 or more on a new tractor and implements it wouldn't be wasted, but you can get by for less buying used.

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #18  
I think everyone has pretty much spelled out the options.

I’ll pose these questions that should help get to the answer.

How often do you plan on cutting the 45 acres?
How long do you want it to take to cut 45 acres?
What’s your budget for a complete setup?

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #19  
I found that one tractor is hard to be a do all. For that reason, years ago I went with multiple used tractors whereby each had it's intended purpose but could be used in unison for something like my haying effort where I cut, rake, tedder, and bale. Having multiple tractors helps make this a seamless task for a one person operation.

Lots of great equipment out there looking for a new home at reasonable prices. As others have stated, if you are a fair-to-middlin (grade of cotton) mechanic, buying popular older tractors is a great way to spend your money. Lots of parts available at reasonable prices and, like with the backhoe attachment, it's not in your way when you have some plowing to do and such.

/ Need sizing and recommendations - 51 acres #20  
A 60hp 4x4 tractor with a loader and a 12 foot batwing cutter will take care of most of your needs. A box blade and a set of forks would be nice as well.