Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider?

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #1  

JJT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro
It's time to replace my 20 horse craftsman rider after 18 years of service with no issues. I mow about 3 acres of finished lawn and another 10 - 12 acres of fields. I have a large CUT, (Kubota L3710) for the field work and snow removal and loader work. I see 3 options, 1) zero turn, should cut my mowing time in half and last forever, 2) Get a small compact, (and keep the L3710 for the heavy work), again this shold last forever, and 3) Replace the rider with another $2000 rider, knowing I'll be in the market again in 10 - 15 years.

For all you zero turn users, are you happy with the decision? Any regrets? Do I need a golf course smooth lawn to take full advantage of this mower? My lawn is fairly smooth and I run the craftsman in high gear at 3/4 throttle, but there are some bumps and dips.

For all you small compact users, am I crazy to get another tractor that would be dedicated to mowing? I'm sure this isn't as fast as the zero turn, but is it more forgiving on the bumps and dips?

Anyone out there mowed with both? Which do you prefer and why?

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #2  
<font color="blue"> For all you small compact users, am I crazy to get another tractor that would be dedicated to mowing? </font>

Well I'm not crazy... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...and I have a B2910 and a BX2200 with MMM to prove it! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The BX works along with my B2910 sometimes, although it mainly is used to cut the grass. It is so much better than the old MTD garden tractor.

If the money side works for you I would get the ZTR or a small CUT like the BX. If you go with the tractor, it can do other things for you in addition to grass cutting.

I have no regrets... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know there are a number of others who frequent TBN that have both large and small tractors in their stable... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #3  
I replaced my commercial high end ZTR with a tractor...a BX23. It takes longer time to mow...not much, but the mowing is more satisfying, and I like riding the tractor. The BX actually cuts better than my ZTR did. I would not personally buy a small lawn tractor....not considering how usefull a sub-compact tractor can be. The 25HP v-twin kawasaki on the Zero turn bogged down where the Kubota diesel barely notices. Buy another tractor and you won't regret it.

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #4  
IF you are trying to mow in the fastest possible way to get the job done quickly, then the ZTR is the best choice for speed. But it is obviously a very limited use machine. And they work best on glass smooth lawns, bumps will rattle your fillings out. I checked them out and dismissed them. My neighbor has one, he runs his as about 1/2 speed because his yard is bumpy. Another friend has one, he loves it because his 1.5 acres is now a 45 minute job. Cut quality varies, some are built for speed, some for speed and quality.

A BX type subcompact would be about the same price as a premium ZTR, would mow as well as most of the ZTRs, but not nearly as fast. And would give you a lot more utility for other projects. I find that I pull out the tractor that is best suited to the job I have to do. Each is good for some things, having multiple tractors is actually a nice option.

At about the same price range as a premium ZTR, a different option is a machine like a Ventrac or Steiner. I recently bought a small Ventrac 3000 and presumed it would be strictly a mowing tractor but have found a lot of utility in the optional 48" front bucket. It mows much faster than a small tractor, but not as fast as a ZTR. The mowing quality is stunning, the decks include lawn striping rollers and are exceedingly high quality. It mows much better than my Cub Cadet and somewhat better than my NH. The little Ventrac won't give you all of the utility that a Sub-Cut provides, but it give you some. It is a nice compramise machine that fits between a ZTR and a Sub-Cut. It is highly manuverable, very stable, and offers more than a ZTR but is not as fast.

Another option would be a Power Trac 422 and would likely cost slightly less than the ZTR or the Ventrac and a few thousand less than a Sub-Cut.

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #5  
Crazy? NO

I also have 'dedicated' tractors. I leave my rotary cutter hooked up to my NH 1920 all the time now.. and leave my box blade up on my NAA. My 8n is used to ride around the pasture looking for busted fence and /or holes etc. I also have a IH cub and belly mower for some light right of way and easement mowing.

I put my fence 6' around my house all the way around it.. except the back where it may be 10'. I hit that with a cheapy mury rider that I've had for 10 years and an even older push mower and light weed wacker. Makes it easy sometimes just to hop on a piece of equipment without worrying about what is hooked up to it.

Soundguy

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #6  
I went through this two years ago. When we moved my wife wanted a bigger lawn at the new place. To mow almost two acres I wanted something fast and that did a good job. I had a couple top of the line ZTR's here and they did a good job and rode ok on good ground. I then tryed a couple of the front mount Deere and Kubota's. Lastly I tryed a John Deere 455. The worst by far was the front mount Deere and Kubota. The cut was not as good as the ZTR's or the 455. They got stuck much easier on hills and were the most difficult to maneuver. The ZTR's were by far the easiest to turn tight but rode hard. The 455 did a great job of mowing and with the exception of mowing around things it would mow just as fast as the ZTR. I timed both mowing the yard and the ZTR was a little faster but only by about 5-10 minutes. Cut quality was no different between the two.

In the end I went with the 455. Many more options for it if I needed it. It was also cheaper and I could get a much better grass pickup system for half the price.

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #7  
JJT, if you decide to check out ZTRs, here's a link to a great one. Bad Boy Mowers
Also, Woods makes a pretty good ZTR as well:
Mowin machines
John

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #8  
Hi...

I notice you mow at 3/4 throttle...

Mowing at FULL throttle is typically recommended by manufacturer's for lawn/garden tractors...
1) Faster blade tip speed = better/easier cutting...
2) Keeps air cooled engine cooler...

Dave...

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #9  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( I notice you mow at 3/4 throttle...

Mowing at FULL throttle is typically recommended by manufacturer's for lawn/garden tractors...
)</font>

Most mowers I've seen actually have a preset notch where to set the throttle at for mowing. I would think that is where you would want to mow.. not higher or lower.

Soundguy

/ Zero turn, small compact or an economy rider? #10  
Hi...

Throttle notch for mowing... good feature... I've never seen one on a lawn or garden tractor...

Thanks for the info !

Dave...