Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors?

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #1  
Tractor
TYM T474
In another post, I am discussing buying a new tractor fairly soon. One thing I do is plow snow with a Meyer Drive-Pro attached to my front end loader. The bucket comes off, the plow hooks up, I connect my hydraulic lines, and I can lift the loader and turn the blade.

The blade is turned with the same hydraulic lines which open and close my bucket. So those lines are filled with Ambra Multi-G 134. If I buy something like a Kubota or Kioti, will I have to have the snow plow hydraulic lines cleaned out or will the Ambra fluid work just fine mixing with another brand's hydraulic fluid?

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #2  
I wouldn’t like it, but realistically there is only a quart or so in the plow cylinders and hose.
The alternative would be collapse the cylinders, disconnect lines, and drain.

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #3  
Backhoe had unknown hyd fluid, log splitter same. Throw in a dump trailer and who knows what is floating around in the old Kubota. Will change everything one fine hot summer day.

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #4  
Is this meyer plow ever used with the Meyer pump and oil? Meyer used to have proprietary oil the twas very this and did not mix well with other fluids. It was very similar to MIL 5606. This was 15 years ago so things may have changed since then.

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #5  
Just to clarify hydraulic oil and gear oil isn’t the same thing. As for the other issues I don’t loose much sleep over mixing oils.

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #6  
Just to clarify hydraulic oil and gear oil isn稚 the same thing. As for the other issues I don稚 loose much sleep over mixing oils.

True. But, hydraulic transmission oil, and 80w gear oil are basically the same thing. And, therefore interchangeable in many applications.

Even 30w engine oil is sometimes used in the same applications.

The only difference is the additives.

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #7  
My NH TC30 runs on Ambra Multi-G 134 hydraulic oil
for the gears and the FEL. I like it. Don't know about the snowplow cylinder. I'd be tempted to plumb into the tractor line- but I would drain the original plow oil- old, filthy. Just plumb and add new hydraulic oil to the tractor.
When I added a hydraulic top link- I added some more oil- not much. Messicks is where I get mine.

- Just visually, 80/90 wt gear oil looks thicker than the Ambra Multi-G 134 hydraulic oil I use. Flows slower, darker color.

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors?
Is this meyer plow ever used with the Meyer pump and oil? Meyer used to have proprietary oil the twas very this and did not mix well with other fluids. It was very similar to MIL 5606. This was 15 years ago so things may have changed since then.

No. This plow has no pump like the one my truck uses. The lines to move the plow are plugged straight into my tractor's connection for the front end loader.

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #9  
True. But, hydraulic transmission oil, and 80w gear oil are basically the same thing. And, therefore interchangeable in many applications.

Even 30w engine oil is sometimes used in the same applications.

The only difference is the additives.

Hydraulic oil is 20w. That’s not exactly the same thing.

/ Is Hydraulic Gear Oil All the Same for Tractors? #10  
Hydraulic oil is 20w. Thatç—´ not exactly the same thing.

I didn't say exactly the same thing, I said basically the same thing. And, I said hydraulic transmission oil. Hydraulic oil, and hydraulic transmission oil, are different products.

Some hydraulic transmission oil is on the light side, like Kubota SDUT at 20w. Most are around 30w on the engine oil scale.

Hydraulic transmission oil, and 80w gear oil are about the same viscosity.

Every single brand, varies in viscosity, even when they label it a certain weight.

So, some are more similar than others.

Last edited: