Comparison Kubota L2501 vs. L3301

• Thread starter Rodney Shuffler
  • Start date
   / Kubota L2501 vs. L3301 #1  
R

Rodney Shuffler

I've pretty well ruled out the JD 3032E, the two-range transmission, plastic body work and aluminum rear-end (among other things) don't appeal to me.
I'm fighting with myself over the Kubota L2501 or L3301. These two tractors are pretty much the same unit with a different engine and I'm really questioning whether or not the other 8 hp will benefit me enough to pay $3,000 more. Then there's the whole emissions/re-gen issue. That doesn't apply to the 2501.
Most of my work is going to be FEL work and tilling in the garden. What do you guys think?... Is it worth $3,000 for 8 more hp? Is it THAT noticeable to the average Joe?

/ Kubota L2501 vs. L3301 #2  
Will not be noticeable at all in the hydraulics....only time you would/could notice is if you had a bush hog hooked up to the rear. You can eliminate the emissions stuff that is mostly what the $3 grand is for by L2501...save fuel and let your tractor idle to your hearts content! I vote for the 2501....save money, no EPA stuff....and unless you are mowing really gnarly tall thick field grass up to your waste, you won't notice it.

/ Kubota L2501 vs. L3301 #3  
Last edited:
   / Kubota L2501 vs. L3301 #4  
I agree. I would not want the additional emissions complexity regardless of cost. If I needed more power, I'd skip the standard L series and go for a Grand L.

/ Kubota L2501 vs. L3301 #5  
Interesting question. I'd throw this out.... price difference between 2501 - 3301 is $2700. But 3301-3901 is $1900.

If $3k for 8 more HP + emissions isn't worth it, is $4600 for 14 more HP + emissions? 55% more HP? Same loader on both though...

Just a thought....L3901HST is what I really wanted but 1/2 price tag won.

/ Kubota L2501 vs. L3301
I should have found those threads myself, I guess I just didn't type in my search correctly. Thanks for posting the links. I don't think going up above the 33 horsepower would be any benefit to me at all , I just don't plan on doing that much with this tractor. It really is looking like the 2501 might be the tractor for me. I do still want to hear as much as I can from any angle.

/ Kubota L2501 vs. L3301 #7  
My neighbor just bought a L2501 HST after my recommendation. Did a ton of research and came to the conclusion that the L2501 HST is a great tractor. People are calling it a sleeper due to its large displacement low hp high torque engine and lack of emissions complexity. It should last pretty much forever. Avoid the L2501 gear drive because it doesn't have a live PTO.

/ Kubota L2501 vs. L3301 #8  
I've pretty well ruled out the JD 3032E, the two-range transmission, plastic body work and aluminum rear-end (among other things) don't appeal to me.
I'm fighting with myself over the Kubota L2501 or L3301. These two tractors are pretty much the same unit with a different engine and I'm really questioning whether or not the other 8 hp will benefit me enough to pay $3,000 more. Then there's the whole emissions/re-gen issue. That doesn't apply to the 2501.
Most of my work is going to be FEL work and tilling in the garden. What do you guys think?... Is it worth $3,000 for 8 more hp? Is it THAT noticeable to the average Joe?

Get the 2501 in gear drive... Load the rears and add weights, these tractors are way light in the butt...

/ Kubota L2501 vs. L3301
I've also got some fencing projects coming up, would the 2501 do as well with an auger as the 3301?

/ Kubota L2501 vs. L3301 #10  
My neighbor just bought a L2501 HST after my recommendation. Did a ton of research and came to the conclusion that the L2501 HST is a great tractor. People are calling it a sleeper due to its large displacement low hp high torque engine and lack of emissions complexity. It should last pretty much forever. Avoid the L2501 gear drive because it doesn't have a live PTO.

You sound realistic about your current and future needs so if you don't need the pto hp, for a max size brush hog, for example, my vote would be the hst 2501 with benefits others have pointed out. Load the rears with some weight on 3pt for FEL and you'll be good. The only other thing would be a comparable search with other brands like Kioti, Massey, LS etc. within your area. But if that complicates the decision process too much you'll be good with current choice.

Enjoy, and post final decision!