Buying Advice First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018 #1  

Philmv93

Tractor
2018 JD 3038e
I am new to the forum and new to tractors.... I am currently looking into getting my first tractor, a John Deere 3038e new from the local dealer. The one thing I can not get over is the fact that they only have 2017s that have been sitting on the lot for almost a year and they will not budge on price vs what once costs right out of the crate. They said that they are not getting 2018s in until May so I am not sure what to do (2018s have new 300 FEL and cosmetic updates).

Mainly I am wondering if this is a common thing, as I know that tractors are not cars. It just seems odd that a tractor that has been sitting outside for a year is the same price as a new one out of a crate. Are there any major issues with a tractor sitting on a lot for year??? Also there is 0% financing out right now and the dealer said they can not guarantee that this will still be available after the quarter, but he alluded to the fact that its been around for a year and he doesn't think its going anywhere.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.... I really just want to get one already.

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018 #2  
Is there a reason you're stuck on Deere? The E series Deere's are budget machines, aluminum rear end, made in Mexico, non removable loader, JD proprietary bucket quick attach (vs industry standard SSQA), and two speed HST.

There are many other options out there like the Kubota L series, Yanmar YT235, and very competitive options from Kioti, LS, and New Holland. Green paint is expensive.

All tractors are good these days.

What is your property like and what tasks do you wish to perform?

Last edited:
   / First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018 #3  
Tractors do seem to spend time on a lot for a wile unlike a car they hold the value. T 0% has been around before i purchased my Deere in November 2014

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018 #4  
Be wise, young man, and git yerself a Kubota! Or a Kioti, for that matter. Or wait until the summer, when the 2017's will be 18 months old, and see if the dealer will budge? If those are the budget Deere's with the aluminum rear ends, I don't have a good opinion of them. Others may disagree.

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018 #5  
KUBOTA KUBOTA we got our first kubota in 2010 0% financing just got #2 kubota 2017 0% financing so just wait

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018 #6  
Deere was almost consistently had 0% financing since I bought mine in 2011. I love my little Deere. Don’t let the haters hate on your tractor choice.

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018 #7  
Deere was almost consistently had 0% financing since I bought mine in 2011. I love my little Deere. Don稚 let the haters hate on your tractor choice.

What (kubota) haters (kubota) are you (kubota) talking about:D

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018
I am mainly hung up on the John Deere solely for the convenience and size of the dealer. They are close and they have several stores in the area so getting parts/service seems like it might be easier. I was thinking Yanmar, as there is a small mom and pop dealer that sells them right around the corner from me (I can literally drive it there), but he is a really small dealer that mostly deals in lawn mowers and truck plows. It seems like the tractors are an afterthought. I am open to other brands but most of the things I have read say "shop for a dealer first".

As for the use, I live on 45 acres that are flat with about 18 acres of hay fields (cut by a neighbor) and the rest mature hardwoods. I have about 3 acres of yard to mow but I use a zero turn for that so I do not need to mow with the tractor. I am looking to plant up to a couple of acres of food plots for deer hunting (rotary tiller in currently existing hay field) and possibly work on a clearing in the woods little by little. I will also do some light brush hogging of long grass along the perimeter of the field. Snow removal will also be important because we get hammered with feet of snow at a time.

I also own a hunting camp on 50 acres so eventually I will get a trailer to get it down there. That property is wooded and very hilly so getting a larger machine around will be nearly impossible. I would mainly use it for the driveway which is very long, flat and in need of some TLC.

I do not have a barn yet so I will need to store it in my garage. This is why I want a smaller frame machine for now. Maybe someday I can upgrade to a bigger one but it is hard to justify the barn without the tractor... so might as well get the tractor first!

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018 #9  
If you like the dealer and get a fair price then go for it . I don't like the jd dealer near me so i went elsewhere . All brands have sale o% or free loaders nothing is free, They get you one way or another:)

/ First tractor...John Deere 3038e 2017 sitting on the lot for a year vs 2018
My main concern is the fact that I am paying full price for a machine that has been sitting outside for a year. Is this valid or am I just a nugget tractor owner that doesn't understand how things work.